Trailer hitch build

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northwoods Snowman

Reaction score
So after starting my trailer/hitch build a year and a half ago and having the project get put on hold, I finally got back to it this weekend. I picked up some steel and spend yesterday and some of today out in the garage having some fun. Thought I would share in case anyone is looking for ideas.

NS I am curious as to what you used for material?

I just checked out a lot of the designs and it seems most are hanging off the suspension. This would increase the load on the bike shock. Some attaché to the swing arm I believe but also attach to the upper frame too. I would like to build one too but is there a way not to add an extra load to the suspension system? Maybe it's not doable. Lets see if some others have done also.

Dave

08fjr4me, if the trailer is loaded properly, the additional load on

the suspension should be negligible, usually 20-30 lbs.

This is easily offset by load shifted from the saddlebags and

trunk to the trailer.

It certainly has much less an effect than carrying a passenger

would.

The load goes on the suspension. It will add very little as it's only the tounge weight. The only one I know of that uses the swing arm is the Can Am Spyder. It works well but what ever you have in the cooler gets the shit pounded out of it because every bump goes straight to the trailer and you get exploding beer bottles. You can't mount both ways or you will have NO rear suspension.

I used 5/8 round and 1/4 square mild steel.

I will either powder coat or paint it black. I would rather powder coat it but need to find a shop to do it and see how expensive it will be.

What do the rectangular tabs connect to? I'm not sure but I'd be concerned about excessive loading on the rear subframe.

There are little slots in the subframe that I slide them up into. As long as the trailer is loaded properly to keep the tongue weight down there shouldn't be a problem.

Most hitches I've seen attach to the muffler mounts but I wanted to run straight to the subframe with the main bar to minimize stress fore and aft and keep from twisting the subframe members.

There are little slots in the subframe that I slide them up into. As long as the trailer is loaded properly to keep the tongue weight down there shouldn't be a problem. Most hitches I've seen attach to the muffler mounts but I wanted to run straight to the subframe with the main bar to minimize stress fore and aft and keep from twisting the subframe members.
Don't get to light on the tongue or you will have serious handling issues. I like at least 20+ pounds tongue weight.

Mine is similar to Carl's

2014-09-10-at-03-34-11-e1438703759937.png

There are little slots in the subframe that I slide them up into. As long as the trailer is loaded properly to keep the tongue weight down there shouldn't be a problem.

Most hitches I've seen attach to the muffler mounts but I wanted to run straight to the subframe with the main bar to minimize stress fore and aft and keep from twisting the subframe members.
Don't get to light on the tongue or you will have serious handling issues. I like at least 20+ pounds tongue weight.
you should have about 10% of the total weight on the tongue or it can be like a tail wagging a dog.

My daughter and I going to BC with all our camping gear in the trailer. My hitch is similar to Northwoods but , with a little different contact points. Suspension carries tongue weight. I've carried about 300lbs in my trailer with no issues .

I have a trailer mostly built too. It's the same concept as the tag along from harbor freight, but I'm building it from scratch and putting 500# torsion axles under it. To finish the trailer I need to add a cooler rack and get lights attached to the box. I got a 3-axis coupler made this past weekend but haven't gotten any photos of that uploaded yet. I'll have to get a couple of the trailer and post those. I'm full aware I need some tongue weight, I made the comment above intended to imply not having like 200# of tongue weight.

I've never used a trailer with a motorcycle, looking at the pictures in the previous post, I've got a question. Why use safety chains on a bike trailer? If something goes wrong enough to need chains I would think you wouldn't chains so the problem would be released and left behind instead of thrashing around while still attached to the bike.

Last edited by a moderator: