Aftermarket Horn Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajBach

Reaction score
I thought I would take this opportunity while doing some extensive maintenance on my bike to post some pics of my very own farkle. I've benefited on countless occasions from others taking the time to upload their mods, it's only fair I do the same; as seemingly trivial in comparison.

Like many of you, I have never been satisfied with the stock horn, and, seeing as I live in a forest rat infested area, I shopped around and purchased an aftermarket horn. This one came from Horrible Freight and was around $30. It comes with a bolt and a relay but no wires. It will work without the relay but it does draw significant current so I would recommend using the relay. Despite being a relatively cheap, my first one lasted three years before it started to lose it's umphh. And trust me, it has ummph. In a closed garage, the volume of this horn would hurt the ears. It's easily the best attention-getter for the price. I'm happy to pay $10/year for one - assuming that that is it's life span. On the other hand, I use mine A LOT!

In my pics, I have all of the plastic off on the bike but you can do this install without removing any plastic save the panel on top of the battery.

It took me some time to figure out how to wire the horn as well. As memory serves, there are four leads running to the stock horn(s). I taped off one pair and used the other pair to run to the relay. I also ran a grounding wire from the -ve terminal of the horn to one of the bolts on the rad.

By the way, despite using a compressor, it IS instantaneous. No delay whatsoever.

20160319_181101_zpsqqzxz6yc.jpg

First thing you'll need is a couple of feet of some thin flatbar. I used this from a local autoparts store. Has to be thin enough to bend easily in a vice.
IMG_5735_zpsmgualqms.jpg

Then, I bent the bar to approximately the curvature of the radiator, bending the outer inch or so back the other direction for a flat mounting surface.
IMG_5743_zps6qn9rz89.jpg

Its easy enough to bolt on the horn to the flatbar using the bolt provided but you need to offset it from center. The forks do swing freely from side-to-side with no contact to the horn, even when fully compressed.

IMG_5738_zpsbwhbqh5k.jpg

IMG_5736_zpssfzsjtzn.jpg

Mount the flatbar to the two bolts that hold the upper part of the radiator (as seen in the second pic). From there, it's a simple matter of running the wires to the horn. I did run into some frustration on my first install as when I turned the forks at slow speed to the extent of their movement, I often dislodged one of the wires. Make sure you run enough wire from the relay so that the forks don't interfere with them. I also found using a zip tie on the horn itself secures the wires.

Despite it's position as shown here, I have not noticed an increase in engine temps. It doesn't seem to block too much of the rad nor does it seem to suffer from exposure to water.

IMG_5740_zpslyaqubt5.jpg

Somewhere on this forum I did see a video of someone who had installed this horn on a different bike and recorded the sound it made versus stock from three different distances. It was quite informative. I'll try and find the link and post it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice install, and look forward to the sound comparison. I put the Piaa on mine, and it is a great improvement over stock. Of course, most anything would be an improvement over stock.

Very clean install. Thanks for posting the pictures. I have one NIB that I have had for a while... maybe I should get off my a$$ and install it.

Nice install, and look forward to the sound comparison. I put the Piaa on mine, and it is a great improvement over stock. Of course, most anything would be an improvement over stock.
This 4 second video shows the difference.

I personally prefer the Stebel Nautilus horn. I have both, the Nautilus is significantly louder, but the same size.
https://www.amazon.com/Stebel-Nautilus-Universal-Motorcycles-Scooters/dp/B00CMX20H4
If you Google "Stebel vs Wolo" you'll find all sorts of info ranging from '...Wolo is made/owned by Stebel', '...Wolo is a Chinese knockoff', "...there is no appreciable difference in sound", to "....Stebels don't last very long".
I've had the stebel on my M109R since 2008, inside the headlight cowl. I mounted the Badboy to the engine guard on my VMax. The stebel is louder than the badboy, even enclosed. That's my personal experience with the bikes side by side.

Good idea on installing it there. I have the Stebel Nautilus on my 07 and it's hanging in approximately the same airspace, but suspended from the lower triple tree with a custom bracket. It's also positioned so the openings are down for optimum draining of water. We're in the same geographic area, so there WILL be rain shooting in there if you ride year 'round like I do. ;) Oh yea, you still have the option of replacing the stock horns with a set of PIAA slimline horns like I did and then you'll really make a lot of noise when all 3 horns honk together. :crazy:

My install many years ago: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s=&showtopic=112666&view=findpost&p=520719

Put the PIAA 85114 Automotive Horns (2) on my 2007 FJR in about 10 minutes. Purely plug and play and it is plenty loud. It took about 30 minutes to put them on my 2014 FJR since I had to make a special wiring harness to go from one spade connector to two. IIRC the PIAA horns draw the same or less current than the stock horn(s) so no relay is needed. And on both bikes the stock mounting bolts work like a champ!

Put the PIAA 85114 Automotive Horns (2) on my 2007 FJR in about 10 minutes. Purely plug and play and it is plenty loud. It took about 30 minutes to put them on my 2014 FJR since I had to make a special wiring harness to go from one spade connector to two. IIRC the PIAA horns draw the same or less current than the stock horn(s) so no relay is needed. And on both bikes the stock mounting bolts work like a champ!
Got a wiring diagram? Also, how did you mount the second horn? Been wanting to upgrade my '13s horn.

You just need an assortment of automotive crimp connectors and some appropriate automotive wire. Need to go from the 2 existing factory spade connectors (+12vdc & Ground) to 4 spade connectors as shown below. An inexpensive crimp tool, and 4 feet of 14 GA wire (preferably 2' red and 2' black) and you're done.

03_27_16_PIAA_85114_Horn_Wiring_FJR1300_Gen_III.jpg

I used a Stebel horn except I separated the horn from the compressor.

Mounted the compressor on the right side behind fairing and the horn near where the stock horn was on the left. Ran a hose between the two, all hidden and not in front of the radiator.

You just need an assortment of automotive crimp connectors and some appropriate automotive wire. Need to go from the 2 existing factory spade connectors (+12vdc & Ground) to 4 spade connectors as shown below. An inexpensive crimp tool, and 4 feet of 14 GA wire (preferably 2' red and 2' black) and you're done.

This is precisely the set up I used and it works extremely well. I have yet to have a cage driver not hear the PIAA's!!

Cool, I was thinking that was the way to go. Did you have to make a bracket for the second one horn?

Cool, I was thinking that was the way to go. Did you have to make a bracket for the second one horn?
Nope. Bolts right up.

The PIAA horns are very loud. Sounds just like a car. Here's a

showing exactly how to do the whole job on a 2014 FJR using the PIAA dual horns! Wow!
punk.gif

The stock horn on my 15ES was particularly feeble sounding. Here's a 15-second video comparing stock to PIAA: