Cox radiator guard

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocklinmike

Reaction score
Probably beeb beat too death, but I just completed the install of the guard. Heard a few folks say it really isn't that important. When I pulled the cheap plastic guard off I had quite a bit of pea gravel embeded in the radiator. I ride with other folks and they kick crap up off the road, especially on lesser traveled mountain roads. A fendaextenda is a great addition,but I believe the guard will cover it all. Easy install. Just pull the horns up a bit and BAMM! 10 minute install.

I know, $90.00, but I hear a radiator can be $500. Beats waiting for a hook on the side of the road in BFG. Ride safe!

I've got the Fenda Extenda + Cox Rad guard on my GEN1. Worthwhile investment esp after I had my rad cleaned and straightened.

Tho' I wasn't too thrilled with how the rad guard mounted.. perhaps they changed it for the GEN2/3.

Mr. BR

Just fyi for the folks, the Cox radiator guard mounted up pretty easy on my '14 ES.

Cox makes a great product in the radiator guards. Highly recommend, also heavily used in road racing circles. Amazing the stones & rubber pellets that thrown up even on a closed course track - beats a holed radiator any day!

How many of you are installing radiator guards on a Gen III? I never installed one on my '13 and the factory plastic one seemed to be adequate. I did install a Cox on my '03 because there was no factory protection over the fins at all on the Gen I's.

How many of you are installing radiator guards on a Gen III? I never installed one on my '13 and the factory plastic one seemed to be adequate. I did install a Cox on my '03 because there was no factory protection over the fins at all on the Gen I's.
No need to spend $80-90 on factory guard. Go to Office Depot or Staples and buy a steel mesh oval waste basket. Cut to the size of the finned area. That piece will fit behind the plastic grill work already on the Genll & lll bikes. I've done it on several FJR's and never had any issues with radiator damage.

same result by other way! I build it.

I bought an aluminum plate deployed (I m not sure of the translation) in DIY store my favorit

983428grille001.jpg

img_0010.jpg

8694892001.jpg

2679502002.jpg

img_0016.jpg

fixed with small Rilsan collars, one at the 4 corners and 2 in the middle, for security anyway because the grid will be stuck between the original and the radiator is not likely to escape, but it will be easier for mount and dismount. Small detail: well crush the edges of the aluminum grid against the plastic to avoid problems when reassembling if they exceed too.

img_0017.jpg

and now:

img_0018.jpg

img_0019.jpg

Good ride

same result by other way! I build it.I bought an aluminum plate deployed (I m not sure of the translation) in DIY store my favorit

983428grille001.jpg

img_0010.jpg

8694892001.jpg

2679502002.jpg

img_0016.jpg

fixed with small Rilsan collars, one at the 4 corners and 2 in the middle, for security anyway because the grid will be stuck between the original and the radiator is not likely to escape, but it will be easier for mount and dismount. Small detail: well crush the edges of the aluminum grid against the plastic to avoid problems when reassembling if they exceed too.

img_0017.jpg

and now:

img_0018.jpg

img_0019.jpg

Good ride

Well done!! I would use either stainless steel mesh or painted steel mesh because it is more durable than aluminum.

I had try with painted on previous bike, but after 3 years, sault becam to attack Steel under paint ?

Maybe I haven't Good paint :(