The Hotlanta Roast -- date/time has been set

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Hud

Just another blob of protoplasm using up your oxyg
Reaction score
(This is the RTE tossed around in the Georgia Riders section.) NOTE: Motorcycles are allowed in HOV lanes inside the Perimeter with or without a Peach Pass. In the Peach Pass lane on I-85, motorcycles pay no tolls ONLY if they have a Peach Pass. (Toll tags from NC and ... some other state ... will also work.)

When: Sunday, August 14, from 1 pm until the last person leaves

Where: Community Q, 1361 Clairmont Road, Decatur. (33.792536, -84.305410) There is plenty of paved parking, but the lot is not universally level.

What: Eat and shake hands. I have no specific ride planned before or after. Who knows? The Downtown Connector may provide plenty of excitement all by itself. For those interested in scenic in-town rides, try ...

Northside Parkway/Drive between I-75 (exit 252) and the Perimeter (exit 22). Of course, you'll miss the new Falcons Stadium at Northside and Mitchell, because there's no easy way to get to the stadium from Community Q. Northbound riders, make sure you take the fork to Northside DRIVE. Some of this is, unfortunately, under construction.

Intown Neighborhoods to the EB Perimeter at Peachtree-Dunwoody: One of my favorite rides ... south on Clairmont, right on North Decatur, right on Clifton, right on Briarcliff, left on North Druid Hills, left at the fork onto Roxboro, straight through to Peachtree-Dunwoody in Buckhead, several miles of beauty, up Pill Hill, pass the hospitals, and take a right onto EB I-285. There is no WB entrance ramp.

You can also take the above to Buckhead, turn right on Peachtree Street, and left on Ashford-Dunwoody. It's not quite as pretty, but it provides access to WB I-285 at exit 29.

Concrete Canyon ride: South on Clairmont, right on North Decatur, left on Clifton (twisty!) and right onto Ponce. Stay on Ponce, and turn right onto Peachtree Street at the top of the hill and the Fox Theater. You'll miss downtown, but you will ride through Midtown and Buckhead. Stay on Peachtree Industrial to reach the Perimeter.

There are some mighty fine streets to the east and south, too, including the world-famous Krog Street Tunnel. The local "art in public spaces" group rented it for a party last spring, and completely closed it to traffic, which of course got people mad since it's the only way across the railroad tracks for a half-mile in either direction.

Pretty much anything to the east gets you views of Stone Mountain. Flat Shoals Road and Bethsaida Road can both be fun without traffic.

A geek favorite of mine is to ride the Perimeter between I-75 and I-85 on the south side, and go under the tunnels for Hartsfield-Jackson's 5th runway and taxiway.

Lastly, PLEASE remember to hydrate, even if you're coming from Cumming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doubtful I'll be there
no.gif
. That's a long haul for me to have to work on Monday. So count me out but don't be surprised if I'm there.

Coming from Cumming, assuming the bike is up by then.

Still planning on it, even if I'm on the SV. Got new tires in this week, but I have all the usual bearings to clean and grease between now and then. Plus fork bushings to replace if they arrive soon enough.

Sorry I'm gonna miss this one. Will be up in Maryland for work. O well, there's always next time. Hope everyone has a good time and safe ride.

Well poop
upset.gif
I am visiting my daughters up in Philly next weekend. On the bike of course. Sorry to miss this Hud.

Yep I've been waiting to post hoping I can somehow make this happen. Unfortunately band is in full swing and I'm locked down pretty much till the beginning of November now. Dang gum it! Sorry to miss it to Unc.

No sweat; I understand the demands of band season .... former cornet player. Never missed a football or basketball game.

Hate to miss it. I will consider riding the R75. As noted ad nauseam elsewhere (hell hath no fury, etc.), Yamaha doesn't plan to have my '14 running for another couple of months.

Ah.. forecast to "only" be 88 today. My car said 94 on the highway. Tomorrow forecast to be a little warmer. Still hoping to make it!

Looks like I am unable to convince my coworker to cover for me so I'm gonna have to skip this one. 3 day weekends every other weekend are nice but it seems that most of the things I wanna do end up on my weekends to work.

No-go for me, heading the other way today for some AAA baseball. Yoose enjoy! And some food pron this time would be nice.