Steering spanner wrench

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencer

Why yes, I am a Smart ASS
Reaction score
I was in Cycle gear today and they had a spanner that LOOKED right but who could tell?

So... If any one has a spanner OR access to one. Trace it out on a piece of paper and fax or email it to me as a template that I can match up to the one in the store. BTW the wrench was $8.95

paging Windjammer...

please answer the white courtesy phone.

Or the picture of the actual Yamaha tool from this thread?

shb01.jpg

not actual size. part number will let you cross-reference any potential substitute. there are several out there that are close, but the arc of the inside angle is off and some are marginal on how they grip the castle nuts as a result. why cut corners on something this important?

But is the photo true to size? That is why I said it LOOKS like it would work.
I just got a PM from warsw and he will try to fax me in the morn.
Not so much....unless you have a Dell 19" monitor set to 1280 res.... ;)

How about an overall length of 3.75". And a tip of tang to far side of half-circle dimension of 1.5" help?

Top wrench good, bottom wrench bad. The indent by the tang is required, the depth of the curved area is needed.

toolssteering.jpg

Consider a tool set like the one from Bike Johnny and other places, get the steering tool and a solid axle tool too.

tooljohn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally broke down and got the set from Bike Johnny. It was very expensive for two little pieces of steel. I could easily substitute something from my toolbox for the axle tool, but I didn't want to screw up the head bearing job by using a sub-standard tool. I bet skyway could make these spanners pretty cheap and easy if enough folks ask him to. :eek:

I wish that BJ had the kit back when I bought my spanner. It was more expensive for just the spanner from the Yamaha dealership than for what BJ sells the combo kit.

Does any one have the dimentions of the

top nut? I'd like to make a socket to fit.

(Might as well do somthing at work)

Does any one have the dimentions of thetop nut? I'd like to make a socket to fit.

(Might as well do somthing at work)
What year? 06/7 is a 36mm, 03 32mm 04/05 is either a 32 or 36 i can't remember.

I got the fax from warsw today and will check it out in the morn and post back. but afterseein how small it actually was, it prob won't work. and I had never noticed the affore mentioned indention from the pics either, but hey its worth a shot. ;)

Well the spanner at CG is a no go. I figured it would not work (too big) and hear I was thinking it was pretty small.

Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Although they do have one listed in the catalog for $41 that is supposed to work, but it doesn't come with a tire hex tool like Bike johny.

Well the spanner at CG is a no go. I figured it would not work (too big) and hear I was thinking it was pretty small.
Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Although they do have one listed in the catalog for $41 that is supposed to work, but it doesn't come with a tire hex tool like Bike johny.
Check with University Motors. I think they can save you a little (they give discounts to forum members) and you will get the real meal deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still looking for a long thin wall socket instead of the offset 'hook' type. Yes, I know there's one out there for $75 plus S&H, but there must be a cheaper alternative socket somewhere. I'll just have to keep looking. By the way, where did the toothed (castled?) socket come from that was used in one of the illustrated how-to articles for the stem bearing adjustment? If I could get a proper description of one that fits, I'd bite the bullet for one.

dobias :glare: