'04 vs '06 AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Malve

I am debating between a used '04 or a new '06 AE.

To be clear, I am def. getting a silver FJR...just not sure which is the better choice...spending $9,500 ish for a lower mileage '04 or getting a new AE.

My biggest concern is probably maneuverability of the AE at very low speeds. I have many years experience on motorcycles although truth be told not that many miles under my belt. My last street bike was a '94 Kawasaki ZX11 (sold in '97) but I have been riding off road the last couple of years on a Yamaha wr450. I feel like I have very sensitive throttle control as it is necessary for riding on technical terrain on the WR...but I am stll concerned about the clutchless bike and the inability to feather.

I live in San Diego, so I don't think that the heat issue will be bad as it doesn't get that hot here (but I am open to comments on this point).

I am not interested in a new A only because I much prefer the silver.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated as I would like to decide ASAP.

To be clear, I am def. getting a silver FJR...just not sure which is the better choice...spending $9,500 ish for a lower mileage '04 or getting a new AE.

My biggest concern is probably maneuverability of the AE at very low speeds. I have many years experience on motorcycles although truth be told not that many miles under my belt. My last street bike was a '94 Kawasaki ZX11 (sold in '97) but I have been riding off road the last couple of years on a Yamaha wr450. I feel like I have very sensitive throttle control as it is necessary for riding on technical terrain on the WR...but I am stll concerned about the clutchless bike and the inability to feather.

I live in San Diego, so I don't think that the heat issue will be bad as it doesn't get that hot here (but I am open to comments on this point).

I have a little over 700 miles on AE and I love it! I will be doing a 2,000 mile ride through the Texas Hill Country over the July 4th weekend so I guess that will be the real test.

As far as heat issue, I am willing to bet you will be riding outside San Diego sometimes and I know it gets HOT once you get away from the CA coast!

I am sure you will be happy with which ever one you get.

Best Regards,

Shane

Thank you Shane.

Any comments on driving the AE very slowly like for u-turns and such?

I don't have any advice for an AE but I see you are in San Diego.

If you are working a deal on the one at Fun Bike, keep an eye on your wallet and look out for last minute shanks in the back as you close the deal.

You should get some feedback from Turbo Dave if he comes in from riding.

You could always go see him in person and get an honest opinion first hand, he meets for a ride every Thursday not far from San Diego.

If I didn't have a day job I would be there every Thursday. One of these days I am gonna call in "sick" :)

So long as price isn't a determining factor, get the AE. I'm very happy with mine. I got to do a lot of real time direct comparisons this weekend, as my riding partner was on my "04. I was very pleased to find that at 900 miles on the AE, we nailed both bikes on a freeway on ramp, and both bikes ran dead even up to 100 MPH, so I have found no performance loss, and the new FJR is just a more refined beast overall. I was kinda envious of watching my '04 lift the front wheel on shifts however. I'm gonna have to try and figure out how to get that back on the AE. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Smart man and with excellent taste too. You'll get along fine here.

You can't go wrong with either. The 04 is the better value, but the 06 has all the latest bling. Get whichever you heart is telling you to get.

As per SkooterG comments, I do sometimes come in from riding!!

I am a long term rider with lots of bike and once was a motorcross and eduro rider. I currently have both an 05 FJR 1300 and the 06 AE model. The 06 has a conventional clutch assembly that is controlled with a servo actuator via finger paddles or foot shifter. I understand the concern about low speed riding. The system engages at 1300 rpm and applies only the computed amount of clutch slip to make the bike very controllable during slow speed riding. The bike is really easy to ride, control, accelerate and brake smoothly. I endorse the 06 AE as a winner. Hope this helps.

Also, the 06 with a longer swingarm and improved suspension is more stable in the mountain twisties than my 05, which is the same configuration as the 04.

I responded to you on the EZ also.

+1 on the low speed control as well. I did manage to honk the horn a couple of times on the downshift, but quickly re-trained my thumb, and haven't done that since. It was no more difficult to get used to than learning not to turn on the high beams when going for the windshield adjustment. Actually, I spent the first couple of hours before I ever even used the toe shifter, and then I just wanted to see how it felt. The finger shift seemed to come very naturally, and is just waaaay to much fun in the twisties.

Smart man and with excellent taste too. You'll get along fine here.

You can't go wrong with either. The 04 is the better value, but the 06 has all the latest bling. Get whichever you heart is telling you to get.
Skooter saying the word"bling"....oh my "the sky is falling....the sky is falling".... :D

If $$$$ is not the overriding issue you need to just consider all the improvments that come with the 06, they are many. The #1 to me would be the heat issue on the previous years, it is very hot. If your not sure about the AE because of the auto clutch than go with the A bike. Personally, I have an AE bike on order and think it will be a lot of fun because of the new clutch system, but it will not be something everyone will embrace and only time will tell if this new system is widely accepted. Some of us are risk takers and some are not. RIDE SAFE

Thanks for the responses everyone...keep 'em coming.

Are the '04 and '06 the same color? In the picture at the top of the forum of the four FJR's, it looks like there is a darker silver. Is that just an illusion or was there a stock bike that was darker?

Last edited:
With both bikes sitting side by side, the '06 appears to have slightly larger metal flake in the paint to me. But in the pictures I took this weekend, both bikes appear the same.

The '03 is SILVER, not CERULEAN SILVER. The 04 and the 06 are supposed to be EXACTLY the same color. Yamaha must have had a few barrels left over.

Do you have a line on a California AE? If not, you're probably SOL. And it ain't gunna be cheap if you find one. A used '04 you can import from anywhere... long as it has 7K on the dial. Is that the Kali rule for used bikes?

The #1 to me would be the heat issue on the previous years, it is very hot.
Not necessarily. You can't make a blanket statement like that. I ride every day here in desert hell in temps over 110 degrees, and I have yet to figure out what this so called *heat issue* is all about.

There is an 06 AE on the showroom at Fun Bike in San Diego (from my previous post)

I am sure it won't be going anywhere soon unless a lotto winner walks through the door.

A buddy of mine was there on Sunday to look at a Gold Wing and said it is still there.

A couple of comments on operating an AE at slow speed, from my perspective. One is that you will learn there is a low-rpm point where you engage the brake and the direct drive is disconnected and progressing from there smoothly requires careful throttle and brake modulation. The first few hundred miles seem more difficult than normal to run slow-speed and the first time you need to pull a hard, quick right turn into a traffice lane from a dead-stop can be pretty thrilling but both eventually become easy and natural. I think it will always be a little easier to do slow stop & go with a conventional clutch but with reasonable concentration the AE does fine.

I haven't driven a conventional FJR but am quite impressed and really happy I got the bike. If someone said that a 2006, conventional clutch, silver, heated grips was available for $1500 less, I would opt for that but it isn't.

Since I am posting, one thing I really notice about the bike, in a major way, that no one has mentioned is the stability. It is the most stable (like following a semi, etc.) bike I believe I have driven and I have driven a lot of different bikes (not owned but driven). I do think I will need to do something with the buzziness at higher speeds though...after about 120 miles running quickly, my left foot was beginning to itch from the vibration.

My 2 cents.

IBA12168

2006 AE/1999 XX/2000 ZX-12r/2000 SE RG/2000 XR100-The Screamer

Thank you for all of your help everyone.

I have chosen to go wth a new AE. I bought one yesterday but will only believe it after I pick it up tomorrow. Wish me luck as I am excited and nervous.

I'm sure I'll be posting many questions and I look forward to getting to know some of you over time...and of course busting your balls.

Thanks again,

-Malve

[email protected]