Friggin' nail in brand new tire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen

Reaction score
Dog namit...rizzo..dogmeatpieceofshitnogoodthinganyway! :angry2:

I pull into the service area of my dealer for my 600 mile service on my ZX14.............. friggin' nail smack dab in the middle of the rear tire tread!

Is a new tire with that type of puncture saveable / usable? Do I have to buy a new tire?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hell yeah! Sticky-string plug it, and wear it out! I just did an Avon Storm that way, and never held back.

As long as it's not a railroad nail.

Had the same happen to me. Only 400 miles on a new tire. The owner of the shop, an ex daytona racer, told me as long as it wasn't in the side wall, the best way to fix it was to fill it with a plug and then apply a regular patch on the inside. He suggested that I also don't push it beyond 80%

This occured to my new rear tire after only 1000K.

The screw was in on an angle.. I accepted I was up fora new tire or at best a plug repair.. Removed the screw but it didn't leak.

17 000 KM later it's still not leaking.

What is it with new tires, are they magnetic. It's the dreaded magnetic tire conspiracy

Dude, a month ago I got a flat tire at work, had it replaced the next day at the dealer, rode it home, checked the pressure next morning, and found a screw in the middle of the brand-new back tire. We're talkin' 30 miles on the tire. I pulled the screw out, and that baby flattened like a pancake.

At the advice of my friends on this forum, I plugged the sumbitch, and it has now been almost two months that that puppy is holding tight. Put it to the ultimate twisties test on the big Dr. Rich ride last weekend, where I was the fastest and most talented and most fearless rider in the group, passed everyone (on blind curves), and never let my ego get in the way by trying to keep up because everyone else was trying to keep up with ME because I ride better than everyone else on the forum, and... But I digress. :rolleyes:

Plug the sucker, let the glue set all day and night. Then check the pressure before every ride till you gain confidence it'll last. And you are golden.

Jb

Sticky string. I plugged a Bridestone BT021 that had a screw smack in the center.

(I'm told that that's the only part of my tire that ever contacts pavement!)

Hasn't dropped a pound since plugging it in November.

If a tire is cut rather than punctured, or if the hole is in the sidewall, replace the tire. I'd think replacement would be in order if it was within an inch of the edge of the chicken strip. But that's what I'm told, because having 3-inch chicken strips, I could never puncture a tire there. ;)

sticky string plug. Don't use it for a track-day (of course), and don't try to set any 1/4 mile records.

If, and by your post you are, you are worried about it, just replace it -- then you don't have to worry about the plug.

sticky string plug. Don't use it for a track-day (of course), and don't try to set any 1/4 mile records.
If, and by your post you are, you are worried about it, just replace it -- then you don't have to worry about the plug.
+1

I got so sick of going through tires I finally opted for the usually worthless extended tire insurance. All I have to do is pull the wheel of the bike and the rest is free to plug or replace. I always thought that stuff was a worthless waste of money until I had to buy a couple new tires that way. $15 extra is far cheaper than $150 new tire. Mounting and balance is $15-$30 alone.

If the tire is an Avon the manufacturer will replace it for free. This happened to me once with an Avon. As long as the wear is not beyond 3 millimeters you get a new one.

As long as the wear is not beyond 3 millimeters you get a new one.
When my almost-new Storm got screwed, I looked it up and it said one millimeter for free road hazard replacement. Needless to say, mine was beyond one millimeter.

Rickster nails it on the head, no pun intended. Odds are great that the plug will last forever. The decision is really a matter of personal comfort. If you were me, you'd be thinking the plug would hold, but you'd also know that you'd be thinking about the plug all the time. Screw that. I replace 'em and forget about it. Also if you were me, you'd probably be better looking.

Well, if it's not too bent, and the head's not worn off by the asphalt, you should be able to use it.
That's my favorite answer. :D

In some states, like NC, it's illegal for a dealer to plug or patch a motorcycle tire. You can do it yourself and it's not illegal to run it.

I've sticky string plugged a couple with no ill effects. I do recommend taking it to a tire dealer that will hot patch it from the inside.

Thanks all.

I had the dealer order another rear tire. I'm fixin' the holey one and keeping it. When the current tires wear out, I'll only have to buy a new front.

:assassin:

Hell yeah! Sticky-string plug it, and wear it out! I just did an Avon Storm that way, and never held back.
As long as it's not a railroad nail.
Gunny here... I add some model glue to the string before inserting it (I know pervs... have fun with that). I patched an Avon a couple of years ago and ran it to the cords, no prob... and at plus buck speeds. I'm currently running a plugged rear on a Pirelli Diablo Strada, also at buck+. If the hole is close to the sidewall, replace the tire... word.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned a the "t patch combo" type plugs/patch. https://www.tireservicecentral.com/Product%...chemicals_4.htm They are a plug that goes through the tire from the inside with a patch at the base of the stem. Gives the best of both worlds. A patch and a plug! Only downside is it must be installed from the inside.

Eliminates all worries. I have run several of these for well over 2/3 the life of tires. As a matter of fact, come to think of it I am running one now on my rear Avon Storm.

I've run two nearly new back tires to the end of their natural lives with sticky string plugs and had no problem. Andy has done three tires that way too, on various bikes. We're not taking these bikes to the track, but they're not doing a steady 65 on the freeway either.

Jill

What Uni said, internal patch with plug through the hole!

Never had one fail. I forget about them in a week.

Sticky thread on the side of the road.

Sometimes I forget they are in there too!

My ST1100 is the screw magnet.

The old plant I worked at had screws in the siding,

they came down the gutter and were deposited in the lot.

Latest posts