Bt021 mileage front vs. back

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyGoose

Reaction score
I got a set of bt021's late last season and really like the tire, but i'm showing virtually no tread on my front with virtually no wear on the rear after about 4 thousand miles. Both tires did go through a short period of low pressure (28 psi) runs , BUT.............. :huh:

Are you other 021 folks changing 2 fronts to one rear?

Greygoose

Several of us have destroyed BT-021 front tires in less than 4,000 miles.

If you stay with the Bridgestone’s you could most likely get 1 rear for 2 fronts.

I can tell you the rear BT-021 works fine with a Pilot Road 2 front. ;)

Several of us have destroyed BT-021 front tires in less than 4,000 miles.If you stay with the Bridgestone’s you could most likely get 1 rear for 2 fronts.

How many miles are you getting out of the Pilot Road 2?

Greygoose

Several of us have destroyed BT-021 front tires in less than 4,000 miles.If you stay with the Bridgestone’s you could most likely get 1 rear for 2 fronts.

How many miles are you getting out of the Pilot Road 2?

Greygoose
I have 4,000 on the front & 1,500 on the rear, they still look like new.

I've tried Z-6 Metzlers, Avon Azaros & Storms, BT-20 & BT-021's, & Now the PR2's.

The Michelins are the best of these by far IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got 12,500 miles out of a set of BT021's front and rear. I now have the PR2's and have about 2,600 miles on them. They look brand new.

I changed my BT021's at about 8K miles, both sets. They still had some life in them, but the fronts were wearing in such a non-uniform way, that they weren't handling worth a crap in the corners. If I hadn't bought 2 sets at the same time, I never would have gotten a 2nd set.

I have the PR2's on the bike now, and so far they are sweet. I just hope they will last for the trip out to NAFO and back.

I got a set of bt021's late last season and really like the tire, but i'm showing virtually no tread on my front with virtually no wear on the rear after about 4 thousand miles. Both tires did go through a short period of low pressure (28 psi) runs , BUT.............. :huh:

Greygoose
I just went through my first front BT021 in 4100 miles. Back bt021 still looks good but it is now wearing fast. I will not buy another front bt021. I ride at least 2000 miles a month. Buying a new front every other month is not in my plans. Thanks for the information from everyone. :ph34r:

Put a set on Frank, won't know how long they last cuz they're coming off early, weirdest feeling set 'o fuckin tires as they wear I've ever experienced. :glare:

Put a set on Frank, won't know how long they last cuz they're coming off early, weirdest feeling set 'o fuckin tires as they wear I've ever experienced. :glare:
Pump 'em up, Dave. I found they got a bit better feeling with 44/44 or 45 psi. But yeah, you are right, they are some weird hoops.

I'm done with the chitty tire wear of the 21's. Front is dead after about 4k, rear looks good still, but it will go fast once it hits a particular point. At least that's what happened to the last set. I've got high hopes for the set of PR2's sitting in my dinning room, but they wont go on until I'm ready to leave for NAFO.

Seems like it here. They improved the rear tire to get some decent mileage out of it, but seems they either forgot about or went back-wards with the front.

I recently got my best worst record for shredding a tire, which usually is one of my rear's, but was the front this time. On a back road trip from San Antonio up through AR and MO to central Ill. I hit the wear bars solidly at about 1700 miles!

I've noticed I am getting better mileage out of the rear than the front on the 21's the last couple of sets. The last set was ridiculously low on the front.

Pump 'em up, Dave. I found they got a bit better feeling with 44/44 or 45 psi. But yeah, you are right, they are some weird hoops.
Are you serious about those air pressures? When I changed out the OEM BT's, I put a BT021 on the rear and a PR on the front. The tire guy recommended I keep both at 42 since the OEM front BT020 was cupped really bad. I'm not a light guy... about 230, but I hadn't considered going up to 44 or 45 psi.

And yet another BT-021 hate thread! :rolleyes:

What am i doing different than the rest of ya?

currently have 6k, probably have another 1500 left until the wearbars.

This is the 2nd set of 021 i have run, And the front/rear wear almost equal, Which is fine by me since i change them out in sets anyway.

I have some Roadsmarts sittin' in the garage waitin' for these to wear out! :)

And yet another BT-021 hate thread! :rolleyes:
What am i doing different than the rest of ya?

currently have 6k, probably have another 1500 left until the wearbars.

This is the 2nd set of 021 i have run, And the front/rear wear almost equal, Which is fine by me since i change them out in sets anyway.

I have some Roadsmarts sittin' in the garage waitin' for these to wear out! :)
First, you gotta quit running from park rangers in a straight line! :)

Next, you better get every mm of tread you want outta those BouncyTire-021s, because when you run the RoadSmarts you are done with BT-021s forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you serious about those air pressures? When I changed out the OEM BT's, I put a BT021 on the rear and a PR on the front. The tire guy recommended I keep both at 42 since the OEM front BT020 was cupped really bad. I'm not a light guy... about 230, but I hadn't considered going up to 44 or 45 psi.
Yep, I'm serious. I can't say how this would affect tire wear as I figger'd out this tip close to the demise - or when the shits shit the bed - but handling did improve and become somewhat more predictable.