Rear drive fluid condition

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChipP

Reaction score
I did a search and didn't come up with much. I am sure this has been brought up before. I was curious those of you who normally change your final drive fluid at regular intervals-what does it look like when you drain it? I changed mine before NAFO and it looked pretty nasty. Had a silver tint to it and dark in color and had some "fuzz" on the magnet. The PO said he had changed it before. How long before it starts gettting nasty and how much "fuzz" do you notice? I havn't ever heard of any FJR's having final drive failure.....

Should be changed every oil change for optimal gear life, especially early on, when most of the wear occurs-hence the "fuzzies". After several thousand miles, you'll notice it staying cleaner and cleaner, at which point every other oil change is plenty.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has moly from the factory. It will clear up over time. Talked about here and many other places.

Thanks for the quick replys and explanation Radman & Ignacio :)

Looks like my question got moved over here pretty quick. I thought about posting it over here........

Looks like my question got moved over here pretty quick. I thought about posting it over here........
You can't post over here. In fact, you should aspire not to have a thread moved here. If it gets moved it's usually because it was easily findable with a search or already in an FAQ or Best of NEPRT....or asked so often.

In fact, I found the link with milky drive oil site:fjrforum.com......it certainly wasn't from memory. Perhaps "milky" was a little unusual and I haven't heard of "fuzz", but also got to it with final drive oil magnet site:fjrforum.com ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the stuff formulated specificly for the FJR, and change it every other oil change, and it does not look so bad, when draining..

Yamalube FJR1300 Shaft Drive Oil p/n: 9079E-SH001-00

you can find it here page all the way down to the bottom of this web page

https://www.fjrgoodies.com/default.cfm

The main reason this came up is when we got back from our trip, I thought why not change the fluid again and have a look. (1400 miles total on trip) I had some "fuzz" on the magnet (not as bad as the first go around), the fluid was dark and still had a silver hue to it. So, it looks like over time it should clear up. Cool.

Gotta love your pic ChipP and others of similar ilk..Sure glad I didn't put one up like that-I might get warned.. Maybe I can sneak one in of a chick on the back of a sportbike wearing a thong[not to sure about the thong]..

Gotta love your pic ChipP and others of similar ilk..Sure glad I didn't put one up like that-I might get warned.. Maybe I can sneak one in of a chick on the back of a sportbike wearing a thong[not to sure about the thong]..

Hello lnewlf

Yeah I really like the older pin up stuff especially Bettie page........ :D

There ya go!!

Hello lnewlf

Yeah I really like the older pin up stuff especially Bettie page........ :D

There ya go!!
I recommend changing YOUR drive oil regularly - and Bettie Page is as good a helper as you might find.