Center Stand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob

Reaction score
So I have had 4 bikes in the last 20 years. I have never had a bike with a center stand though. Do most of you use it? Is it better to use than the side stand?

And here is the biggie, Is there a easy way to get the bike up on the damn thing? Right now I am on the bike, hand on front brake and foot on stand, I put all my considerable weight on the stand while pulling back on the bars. I use the front brake to stop my self from going too far forward when I don't make it. This usually works after 4-5 tries.

I find it much easier to back the bike up so that the rear tire is resting on a 1 inch piece of wood, it takes a lot less effort.

This is a subject that gets asked at least once a year. Did you try looking for an answer? There are a small boatload of posts on this subject. I did a search for you. Try clicking here for a myriad of posts about this.

All that said, I still sometimes have a hard time getting that 600+ lb pig onto its centerstand.

Good luck, Heidi

Your putting the bike on the center stand while ON the bike?! Roll video!

Seriously, stand on the left side of the bike (clutch side) with the bike resting on the sidestand. Stand on the center stand tab. Put most of your weight on it. At the same time, with your right hand, lift the bike vertical with the hand hold under the seat. Use your left hand on the bar to stabilize the bike.

You'll feel BOTH pads of the center stand make contact. Put all your weight on your foot holding the center stand down at the same time, with your right hand lift the bike up. Like your trying to break the center stand off the bike with your foot. BING! Up she goes on the stand.

For a 600lb bike, it goes up pretty easy compared to some much lighter bikes. Still, roll some video of you doing it while seated on the bike. PLEEEZE :D

There are so many directions this could go in, I can't wait to see the aftermath. It works easier if you are off the bike!

Right now I am on the bike, hand on front brake and foot on stand, I put all my considerable weight on the stand while pulling back on the bars. I use the front brake to stop my self from going too far forward when I don't make it. This usually works after 4-5 tries.
:wacko:

Please don't let anyone see you doing that, you might give the rest of us FJRers a bad name.

1) Off the bike, standing on the left

2) Hold the bike upright & push the center stand down (w/your right foot) until both legs contact the ground.

3) Left hand on left bar, right hand in little cut out(handle) in left side cover (just under the seat)

4) Step down with right foot, lift up with right hand, done.

Such nice newbs... you sure make it hard for me to be a "Search Nazi" ;)

Yes, I use the center stand. I use it primarily when servicing the bike. It sure makes tire changing easier. Normal parking is done on the side stand.

Getting the bike up on the center stand is really pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

1) Rent a GoldWing for two weeks, practicing this center stand maneuver.

2) Come back to the FJR and you will wonder what the issue was.

ok, if I can do it, anyone can. i be weak

but not from a seated psoition

pull up and back on the back, i don't use the front bar so much

Last edited by a moderator:
Also consider that the bike is rolling backwards during the proceedure. It is much easier if you are not only pulling up (and pushing down with the foot) but also pulling/rolling the bike back. in doing this you use the momentum of the bike to your advantage.

i use my centerstand 90% of the time..if i'm going to be away from the bike for a short period, it rests on the side stand.

it has become 2nd nature for me to put it on the centerstand at work and at home. i feel it is safer on the center stand from parking lot bumps, god forbid, than when on the side stand.

i can not imagine trying to put the FJR on the center stand while astride it. :blink:

i bet it's fun to watch the attempt.....LOL. could be the next new summer olympic sport... :rolleyes:

cadman

When I get home I will video it. I have tried the side mount but was afraid I would break something. seems when I lift the back of the bike with the handle at the rear it sorta flexes. Probably just my imagination.

Just make sure that both feet (of the center stand) are flat on the ground, before stepping down & pulling up/back. Or you'll be picking that sucker up off the ground. It's easy after the first couple of times.

Putting your FJR on the center stand while still on the bike is a fairly easy thing to accomplish. In fact this is usually what I do. I am just too lazy to put it on the side stand, dismount, and then move it up to the center stand.

Dropping it and breaking your leg while attempting this is also a fairly easy thing to do as well. It is a good thing that I rarely use the center stand.

Do as other have said, stand on the left side, use the hand hole and lift to the center stand.