Bridgestone B21 tires and concerns

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duster19

Reaction score
I just got both my front and real B21's replaced under warranty. At about 3000 miles I started to have a strange 1" high ridge in the center of the front tire. It basically looks like a flat spot and the sides wearing thinner. I took it into Desert Valley Powersports (Awesome people by the way) and had Glen took a look at them. He said it was very strange and has had no previous B21's wear concerns. He asked me the pressure I had been running and I told him 40/42. He said he would look into it. I guess on one of his calls he was told they should be set at 38/42 tire pressure. I'm not sure 2lbs would have mattered that much but for the next 1500 miles I ran them at 38/42 and it seemed to get worse.

Long story short, Glen made more calls and got Bridgestone to replace both the front and back (back tire was starting to do the same) under Warranty. I guess his main Rep. had the same issues with his BMW and B21's. From my research, I'm thinking the weight of the FJR and BMW is just too much for this new design. I didn't have any of these issues with my previous B20's. I was really happy to be getting new tires so didn't push the issue about just getting some new PR2 instead. So, I'll see if I have better luck with the new set. I'm thinking either way I'm moving to PR2 next time.

My point is, if you are seeing same issues with your B21's you might want to talk to your tire guy for a new set.

Dave

PS. I was going to post in never ending but it wouldn't allow me.

you mean they wore funny like this?:

021FrontB.JPG

021FrontA.JPG

These are my first three BT-021 ....the (aprox 5) rears weren't as bad. Wonder if Bridgestone would replace them all for me!?!?

[LOL] I still got all these tires (and a shitload more) stacked up in the garage, way behind on the chore of disposing of tires lately.

...good job getting new tires out of Bridgestone. I'm sure a PIA but maybe worth the effort. I'm afraid your new ones are going to wear the same. They hold up ok for a while, but with any spirited riding they go away fast -the fronts are really a bad deal, IMO the rear is not that bad.

...renojohn

Is the funny wear pattern due to Bridgestone's new technology of softer rubber on the shoulders and a harder compound in the center? The idea sounded good but it looks like the execution needs some work. Or maybe the want us to ride more on freeways.

Is the funny wear pattern due to Bridgestone's new technology of softer rubber on the shoulders and a harder compound in the center?
NO. The front tire is not dual-compound. The rear is, and it does a pretty descent job IMO.

Yup,

Reno John is right (He better be considering all the B021's he's run) the front B021 is not a dual compound tire. A lot of folks out there thought it was because the rear is a dual. Nice to hear that Bridgestone has started to warrantied this.

WW

Last edited by a moderator:
My first set wore fine, but those pics look exactly like my second set did after I returned from a 5500 mile trip last month. I've got a set of the PR's waiting for me at Desert Powersports, and I suppose I should probably see if Glen could get mine replaced as well. But, seeing as I have run them for nearly 7000 miles, I think I'll just write the 021's off, and move on. The front is shagged anyway, and like everyone else, I've been scratching my head on how I could wear out the front before the rear. I certainly have never done that before. First time for everything I guess.

you mean they wore funny like this?:
021FrontB.JPG

021FrontA.JPG

These are my first three BT-021 ....the (aprox 5) rears weren't as bad. Wonder if Bridgestone would replace them all for me!?!?

[LOL] I still got all these tires (and a shitload more) stacked up in the garage, way behind on the chore of disposing of tires lately.

...good job getting new tires out of Bridgestone. I'm sure a PIA but maybe worth the effort. I'm afraid your new ones are going to wear the same. They hold up ok for a while, but with any spirited riding they go away fast -the fronts are really a bad deal, IMO the rear is not that bad.

...renojohn

They looked just like that. Thanks for the pictures. It explains it all.

Dave

I've got a couple sets of the 21's in the back that look just like those too :p

The fronts really suck IMO, I won't buy them again.

Both sets I've run wore the same as Reno John's. The rears are just fine, the fronts suck moist ass, (as WC would say).

I've got a couple sets of the 21's in the back that look just like those too :p
The fronts really suck IMO, I won't buy them again.
+1

Same thing happen to my front at about 6K. The rear is getting the typicall flat spot but there's plenty of thread left. I will never buy BT21 front again!!

My 06 came with the BT020s that I really liked. It always felt very planted. I installed a set of BT021s after that and went on our 3k trip last summer and I never really liked them. The always felt greasy to me. We almost lost it a couple of times on curves that I know wouldn't have been an issue on the originals.

I too had the wear pattern that RenoJohn shows in his pics. Now I have the Pilot Roads and the planted feeling is back.

Rear 021 - excellent tire.

Front Dunlop Roadsmart - excellent tire.

Good Combo for me, so far. I actually like the rear 021 better than the rear R/S.

I dunno man. Those sure look like dual compound tires to me. How would they wear like that if they were NOT dual compound?

"Is the funny wear pattern due to Bridgestone's new technology of softer rubber on the shoulders and a harder compound in the center?"

There's nothing new about that technology. Ran Bridgstone Splitfire II on my old honda for the past 11 years and never had wear issues like this. BTW: My front looks just like those with 3400 miles on it. Not impressed <_<

I dunno man. Those sure look like dual compound tires to me. How would they wear like that if they were NOT dual compound?

The front 021 may actually have multiple compounds, but the center is far too soft for longevity.

I think they're better suited for a lighter bike (VFR, Versys) than the FJR.

Nope, i once thought the same, front B-021 is not dual compound. Me no engineer, i just ride moto-bike, can't tell you why they wear funny but they do. A buddy in Atascadero took on off is BMW that was REALLY bizzare. Wish my pic would have turned out, makes mine look normal.

The front 021 may actually have multiple compounds, but the center is far too soft for longevity.
For the third time on this thread :)NO, not a dual compound tire (the front)

I will continue to give updates on my new set of B21's. I don't really have my hopes to high for this set to wear any better. I'm not sure what Glen will do for me if they wear the same, but I will try to make sure his Bridgestone Rep. knows there is a problem with what they are selling as their Sports Tour tire.

Not sure if this small community can get a company as big as Bridgestone to realize they have a flaw with their B21's front tire design (or perhaps need to market them for a lighter bike), but the fact that I was able to get them to Warranty my first set might be a small step in the right direction. I'm just like the rest of you, want a good tire at a fair price. If I don't have better luck with this set, I'll be moving on to a set of PR2.

Dave

Son-of-a-!?!$%!@?! :angry:

Just took a look at my tires, and the front is doing the exact same thing. Very odd. I'll be making a trip to the dealer....hopefully I'll get a replacement too. I've got about 3k on the tire.

I'll keep you posted on what I find out.