?????? for current FJR owners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cityboy21

Reaction score
I've read some posts by people that are speculating about a possible 6 spd on the new FJR. My question is do you current owners really think this would be necessary? The bike already gets close to if not 40 mpg already. Seems like the trend in bikes is to go to the 6 spd eventually. I just got rid of my 06 Ultra and it only had a 5 spd and I thought it was fine. I was getting in the high 30s for mpg and was running about 2800 rpm at 70 mph. For 07 they went to the 6 spd but some were saying it was useless under 70 mph. I didn't think it was something worth trading up for. Now liquid cooling was a different story. This is one of the main reasons I got out of HD. The Ultra is too big a bike not to have it. Just curious as I am getting ready to purchase an FJR but curious if I should wait for the 09. Problem is the 08 black is calling my name louder and louder each day not to mention the smoking deal that can be had right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't see any reason for a 6 speed in the FJR......I think Harley did it just as a sales thing, they sure don't need 6 gears.

Yamaha's dealer meeting which is within the next 2 weeks will confirm any changes for the 09's. IMO no 6 speed till 2011 as they seem to be on a 5 year cycle. Last "major changes" were with the 06 model. Color change will be essentially it.

While I am a fan of 6 speed trans on bikes, I'm finding it's rather unnecessary on this bike. As far as mileage I don't believe you'll be dissapointed. Last ride 2 up 360 miles avg MPG 43, normal cruise about 75-80 MPH. You'll not be dissapointed should you choose to pick up an 08 rather than wait for the 09 in the hopes it'll come with a 6 speed.

The 6 speed would be nice, but only if they actually raise the gearin for 6th gear. HD did this 6 speed but they final gear is no different that the 5 speed.Still runs the same (or just about the same) rpm at speed. Just more shifting. The 5 spped has no issues, or complaints, But todrop the rpm a bit on the highway would be O.K. with me.

Pretty much what I figured with the 6 spd as I haven't read anything about people complaining about not having it. I have read about the engine/handlebar buzz and was curious at what rpm this takes place and in the same breath, what is pretty much the highway cruising rpm to see if they are the same.

I would like a six speed, but my reason has nothing to do with lowering rpm's at speed, etc.

A six speed's gear spacing makes for less rpm drop between gears when downshifting during spirited riding.

I've read some posts by people that are speculating about a possible 6 spd on the new FJR. My question is do you current owners really think this would be necessary? The bike already gets close to if not 40 mpg already. Seems like the trend in bikes is to go to the 6 spd eventually. I just got rid of my 06 Ultra and it only had a 5 spd and I thought it was fine. I was getting in the high 30s for mpg and was running about 2800 rpm at 70 mph. For 07 they went to the 6 spd but some were saying it was useless under 70 mph. I didn't think it was something worth trading up for. Now liquid cooling was a different story. This is one of the main reasons I got out of HD. The Ultra is too big a bike not to have it. Just curious as I am getting ready to purchase an FJR but curious if I should wait for the 09. Problem is the 08 black is calling my name louder and louder each day not to mention the smoking deal that can be had right now.
I wouldn't mind a 6th gear when I'm slabbing it, but I sure wouldn't wait for one, my 07 does great with 5

I think FJR is good enough with 5 spd. With 6 spd I believe that torque and engine flexibility will not good as now in low revs.

Hope, FJR will remain with 5 spd.

I think the 6 speed trany has more to do with the engine smoothing out rather than mileage.

This is my second Yamaha, first was a V-Star. Neither bike ever sounded like it was happy in 5th gear.

The engines always sounded buzzy, like there needed to be another gear. An overdrive gear.

When you hit overdrive in a car the engine just settles down and hums, My bikes have never done that.

FJR doesn't need a 6th gear. There's no need with the engine's torque characteristics. Ilike the engine's rpm at highway speeds - you still get excellent fuel economy and power is at your demand, RIGHT NOW.

As far as I am concerned, Yamaha nailed it with the current FJR. Please don't go mess it up with a 6-spd.

FJR doesn't need a 6th gear. There's no need with the engine's torque characteristics. Ilike the engine's rpm at highway speeds - you still get excellent fuel economy and power is at your demand, RIGHT NOW.
As far as I am concerned, Yamaha nailed it with the current FJR. Please don't go mess it up with a 6-spd.
I totally disagree. The FJR is geared perfectly for 5 gears. The gearing should remain the same, just add a 6th speed as Overdrive. This will reduce the buzzy handlebars at highway speed. And if will eek out another mile or 2 per gallon....well that's an added plus.

I just want to reduce the amount of rpm's at 75-80 mph which is what I usually cruise the superslabs at. Any other time you would never shift into 6th.

I'd pipe up for a 6th gear. Not for the "highway" gear of it... but for the better gear ratios that would most likely fall into the 1-4 gears. That being said, I'm okay w/ the 5 speed tranny. Although I would rather have a 6 speed.

I just spent a couple of days on the road in the company of a rider on an RT beemer with a six speed, traveling twisty two-lane highways in the northwest where passing ability really counts. When I was in the lead, he'd complain that he had to downshift to catch up to me in a passing situation. (Actually, he'd catch up only after I'd drop back to 80 or so.) When he was in the lead, he did some pretty impressive cornering, but he couldn't get out of his own way -- or mine -- exiting the turn.

All the while, my '04 fjr tooled along in 5th. I think it would quiet down a bit at cruising speeds with a 6th, but it would just be gilding the lily. The 5-speed fjr is a thing of beauty.

I totally disagree. The FJR is geared perfectly for 5 gears. The gearing should remain the same, just add a 6th speed as Overdrive. This will reduce the buzzy handlebars at highway speed. And if will eek out another mile or 2 per gallon....well that's an added plus.
I just want to reduce the amount of rpm's at 75-80 mph which is what I usually cruise the superslabs at. Any other time you would never shift into 6th.
I agree 100%. I would like the 6th gear for the same reason, which is to lower the RPM when doing 80 MPH. Plus benfit by getting even better gas mileage!!

I agree 100%. I would like the 6th gear for the same reason, which is to lower the RPM when doing 80 MPH. Plus benfit by getting even better gas mileage!!
BUT...5th gear is already overdrive. IIRC, the ratio is very close to the final ratio of the C-14. It sounds like the same argument that has been tendered here for years.....everyone assumes Yamaha could just "add" another gear, and that the best performance/gas mileage would be had by running the FJR engine @ 4500 RPMs (against the wind resistance @ 75 mph), etc., etc.

Since 80 mph is roughly 53% of redline (on my Gen I). That seems reasonable to me and it keeps the engine in the torque range for easy passing and good throttle response. This motorcycle isn't your father's V-twin cruiser. I didn't buy my FJR to use as a sports bike or a cruiser but to use it within the design parameters Yamaha planned for it. My FJR runs at lower highway RPMs than my C-10 Connie did and the Connie had a 6-speed (which it needed because of the more narrow power band).

I realize that any discussion with those who desire a 6th gear or who believe the bike would be more efficient with a 6-speed transmission is fruitless, but sometimes my fingers just start typing a response.....

Er...uhmmmm...I wouldn't plan on Yamaha providing a 6 speed transmission for the FJR. That would require a complete engine re-design/re-tool and years to recoup the investment.

BUT...5th gear is already overdrive. IIRC, the ratio is very close to the final ratio of the C-14. It sounds like the same argument that has been tendered here for years.....everyone assumes Yamaha could just "add" another gear, and that the best performance/gas mileage would be had by running the FJR engine @ 4500 RPMs (against the wind resistance @ 75 mph), etc., etc.
Since 80 mph is roughly 53% of redline (on my Gen I). That seems reasonable to me and it keeps the engine in the torque range for easy passing and good throttle response. This motorcycle isn't your father's V-twin cruiser. I didn't buy my FJR to use as a sports bike or a cruiser but to use it within the design parameters Yamaha planned for it. My FJR runs at lower highway RPMs than my C-10 Connie did and the Connie had a 6-speed (which it needed because of the more narrow power band).

I realize that any discussion with those who desire a 6th gear or who believe the bike would be more efficient with a 6-speed transmission is fruitless, but sometimes my fingers just start typing a response.....

Er...uhmmmm...I wouldn't plan on Yamaha providing a 6 speed transmission for the FJR. That would require a complete engine re-design/re-tool and years to recoup the investment.
I understand a little better now (especially the redesign part), & like I said earlier that I really love the way the gen II is geared.

I'm not looking for more performance or efficiency in 5th, it's just at a sustained 80 mph I keep searching for another gear.

Don't let MPG be your deciding factor. My 06 & 08 avg. somewhere between 45 to 48 MPG and with 6.6 gallons there is plenty of range. The bike is already smooth. It would be my opinion that what a 6 speed would offer is improved performance as the RPM's would not drop off as much between gears and on a sport touring bike that already is very quick the question would be if it increased cost and weight, WHY? The FJR is a great bike as it is don't wait to buy one your missing out on a lot of fun.