Metzler Z6 Tire replacement - interesting info!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjsC6

Reaction score
As some may recall, I got a large nail in the back tire of my factory Z6 (2006 model) last week.

I found out about a motorcycle accessory shop in the Houston area who is a very large tire and helmet store (and other accessories). I went in Tuesday and discussed the tire. He had Z6's in stock, but was not familiar with the "C" spec Z6. There are three different "spec" Z6s. The "C" is recommended for FJRs and some BMW.

He went ahead and patched my tire, and I had him order the C spec so that I would have it when I'm ready to take a trip this October. This guy really knows tires, and has thousands of tires in stock.

I picked up the C spec today. We had noticed that the tire weighs just over a pound more than the other Z6's, according to Metzlers specs. When I picked the tire up today, he grabbed both my C spec tire, and the base Z6 (I think it's an "E" spec). Neither tire was mounted on a wheel. We put the palms of both hands on the top of one tire and pushed down, then the other tire. The "E" spec tire collapsed very easily. The "C" spec tire remained very firm. The difference was night and day. In fact, a friend who was with me quickly asked if the "C" spec tire is a runflat.

By the way, the load carrying capacity is listed as exactly the same for all three spec Z6's!!!

I know some people on this forum have had some bad experiences with Z6s. But I did not want to mix tires, and my front still has lots of tread left. Knowing that this is a much heavier duty tire than the normal Z6s that dealers carry, this made me feel pretty good about the tire. And I've had Z6's on two bikes now (my previous ST1300 as a replacement tire) and I've been very happy with them.

This kinda makes me wonder if the folks that had problems with the Metzler Z6's were not using the C spec tire.

Metzler does the same thing for the GL1800. They make two 880 tires that will fit the bike, but the ones designed for the Wing have a G stamped on them, and have more belts in the carcass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jjs,

Just went out and looked at my tires. What a shock when I discovered they have little elephant images on them! :) Neat huh?

Post edited, found info I was looking for. Should have investigated before I posted!

As some may recall, I got a large nail in the back tire of my factory Z6 (2006 model) last week.
I found out about a motorcycle accessory shop in the Houston area who is a very large tire and helmet store (and other accessories). I went in Tuesday and discussed the tire. He had Z6's in stock, but was not familiar with the "C" spec Z6. There are three different "spec" Z6s. The "C" is recommended for FJRs and some BMW.

He went ahead and patched my tire, and I had him order the C spec so that I would have it when I'm ready to take a trip this October. This guy really knows tires, and has thousands of tires in stock.

I picked up the C spec today. We had noticed that the tire weighs just over a pound more than the other Z6's, according to Metzlers specs. When I picked the tire up today, he grabbed both my C spec tire, and the base Z6 (I think it's an "E" spec). Neither tire was mounted on a wheel. We put the palms of both hands on the top of one tire and pushed down, then the other tire. The "E" spec tire collapsed very easily. The "C" spec tire remained very firm. The difference was night and day. In fact, a friend who was with me quickly asked if the "C" spec tire is a runflat.

By the way, the load carrying capacity is listed as exactly the same for all three spec Z6's!!!

I know some people on this forum have had some bad experiences with Z6s. But I did not want to mix tires, and my front still has lots of tread left. Knowing that this is a much heavier duty tire than the normal Z6s that dealers carry, this made me feel pretty good about the tire. And I've had Z6's on two bikes now (my previous ST1300 as a replacement tire) and I've been very happy with them.
:rolleyes: Thanks Jim for the update, technical information and personal objective observation, this very well could explain the problems that others have had with Metzlers. They very well may have been running the other Z6's even tho the load carry capacity is the same for all three spec Z6's.

It is very comforting to know the Z6's that come with the FJR are really a fairly different tire and much heavier duty tire.

They seemed to have been there for me when I did my half hour of thrills road race from Ouray, CO to Silverton, CO and over Red Mountain Pass with seven other motorcycles.

I don't notice any wobble or low speed instability that many have mentioned who run the tire of choice AVONS for the FJR.

If I get decent mileage on these, I may just go ahead and get another set or the Pirelli Diablo Strada's if I see threads from the folks running them that they get pretty good mileage and service from them (i.e. 7,500 to 8,500 miles, good wet weather traction). :unsure:

Pirelli (mother ship to Metzler) has the same distinction for their Strada series. I was undecided, because the non 'E' spec has more tread depth than the 'E' which is specifically for the FJR.

In the end I decided that they wouldn't have made a tire specific for the bike if the machine didn't NEED it, especially considering that the two tires cost exactly the same.

I now have an 'E" spec Strada on the bike with the Z6 front and all is very happy.