Gap on Iridum Plugs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucen

Reaction score
I am getting ready to install a set of Iridium plugs on my 06. Are the plugs pre-gapped as they come out of the box, or do I need to gap them? If so, do I just use the standard gap value?

Thanks

Bruce

IMO, trust the gap out of the box. Iridiums have very fragile tips. The harm to benefit ratio is not very favorable in this case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, a guy should eyeball 'em case some fool dropped 'em. Have gotten plugs before with 7 at .060 and 1 at -.017..... ;) :p

I checked the gap, it ran like crap, I took them out, and here is what happened. Very delicate, be carefull or like the others...Dont Gap them!

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

I checked the gap on mine before installation. I was very careful to not force anything. The feeler gauge slid in with the very slightest of resistance. Any resistance beyond just enough to know they touched and I would have stopped (no forcing). None needed gapping If they would have, the trick is to move the long bendy thing and not the short pointy thing.

After my "show me" test the first 2 sets, I'd be relatively comfy just installing them next time.