An Afternoon over 3 High Passes in the Swiss Alps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euro-Feejer

Reaction score
Rode the bike to a conference near Interlaken, Switzerland, 2 hours south. Weather reports showed one hot day followed by a series of cool, rainy ones. The hot day would turn out to be nearly 90F in the valleys and about 65F on the passes. So, on the first full day of the conference, between morning meetings and a pre-dinner appointment, we went for our high-country adventure. . . 3 high passes in the Swiss Alps. The route programmed into the GPS was 121 miles in 3 hours. It actually took closer to 4 hours, with a short stop (I think the GPS calculates time assuming you are going a normal highway speed on those two-lane roads, but in the Alps, there is a lot of variation, especially on tight switchbacks).

Last year, I posted an August trip (5 high passes) in this region. Here's a link to that one:

August 2008, Multi-Pass Post

I'll refer to that later in this post, with a pair of photos comparing that August snow level to the current level in June (just a week after the passes opened). This year, my goal was to loop over a different pass, Susten (never been on that one), then return over the Furka (only went up and down one side last August) and Grimsel passes.

The balcony view from our room at the conference, looking toward the lake we would ride alongside for the first part of our journey.

IMG_6203.jpg

The waters of the lake (Brienzersee) were unusually green (or is that 'teal'). Our ride was along that far side (photo taken on another ride), and occasional tunnels helped break the heat of the valley.

The valley continued after the lake ended, and we kept up some good speed while enjoying the rock faces, waterfalls, and alps ahead.

A small glacier just before the top of the Susten pass

Other bikers stopped ahead for a photo as the Susten pass loomed ahead

Heading down the other side of Susten pass, there were far less switchbacks (note the seemingly straight stretch in the mid-right of photo), so we could actually do the speed limit (80 kph / 50 mph). My little lady enjoyed the ride, but needed the occasional photo stop to relieve the pains in her little bon[n]y bottom.

[somehow the rest got cut off... continuing later in this post]

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice pictures! Keep 'em coming.

If my employer would ever lift the ban on corporate travel, I've gotta figure out a way to work in a ride when they send me somewhere, too!

BTW - as for your SO, if you can get one, a Russell Day-Long seat has made all the difference in the world for us.

Ride safe,

BG

Excellent photos, we need more! Bambi and I did that same trip back in '97/'98 and had a blast. Passes are open a little early this year, had to wait until July 5 when we went.

Euro-Feejer,

What great views you have right in your backyard.

Awesome pics and nice report.

WW

Thanks for sharing. I was in your great country several years ago but did it on one of those tour buses I am sure you hate. Anyone who gets to ride there will think they have died and gone to heaven. Maybe some day before I get too old to ride I can come back, rent a bike and enjoy your roads as they should be.

[Continued ride report and photos]

Looking back up at the Susten pass as we head down the other side (road barely visible to the right in the photo).

IMG_6213.jpg

The view as we begin our ascent of the Furka pass. This peaceful valley we just passed through was a welcome relief after a short stretch in the traffic-laden corridor of the Gotthard tunnel and pass (the main throughway from Switzerland to Italy).

Climbing the Furka pass… gentler, faster turns on the stretch far in the distance. This side of the mountains tends to be lower on the switchback count than the other side.

The view just past the Furka summit. Our journey leads us down into the valley ahead, then up those switchbacks on the far side (the Grimsel pass). Compare this photo with the next one, taken last August… definitely still lots of snow to melt over the summer.

The August 2008 photo from the same spot.

One last stop, looking back up at the Furka pass. (Side-note for bikers bearing bruised-butt babes: a little wine and the whine of the wife wanes.)

Was running a tad late for an appointment back in Interlaken, so didn’t stop again for the final hour. This last photo is one from August 2008, heading down the final (Grimsel) pass of the day. Then we rode back along the same route/lake that we started out on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awsome pics! Thanks, brings back good memories.

Seems like when we were there, there was a challenge to do seven passes in one day. Not and IBR thing, but just a lot of miles. The three passes you show were some of them. We didn't even try to attempt it.