Gas Mileage And Range...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastfar

Reaction score
I just finished a 4-day tour of Norcal, 1125 miles total. All types of roads, but a ratio of 50% twisty, 40% sweepers and 10% freeway. After the trip, I averaged my fuel consumption and arrived at some figures: 43.2 mpg with a calculated range of about 285 miles.

I am curious how this compares to the experience of others...

I've pretty consistently been averaging in the 43-45 mpg range on my '04 FJR. I got a high of 52 mpg a couple times returning from the high mountain country, but that was a lot of downhill travel. Heading up to Oregon and Washington with my son and a couple buddies on a six day tent camping ride leaving this Friday. Taking in the National Outdoor Motocross race at Washougal, Washington this Sunday, then riding up to Mount St. Helens and home via the entire Oregon and Northern California coast. Expect to get much better mileage out of the non-oxygenated gas in Oregon/Washington.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California B)

How fast were you going? Any head, tail, or cross winds?

I get great gas mileage going under 80 with little wind...46-48mpg.

I get lower 40's mpg going 90-100mph and the same going 80mph with wind.

I get mid-30's in any curves since I am always accelerating through the curve, then slowing down for the straight.

I would think your mpg was pretty good in those riding conditions.

Just took a 600 mile trip from L.I. Ny to Cooperstown. (Baseball Hall Of Fame).

Mostly Hywy with adout 100 miles of twisty back roads. Averaged 43 mpg.

I just wish I could trust the accuracy of the reserve blinky bar. Sometimes I could squeeze 60 miles from when it goes on. then bike takes 6.2 gals to fill. But I ran out of gas once with only 50 miles on trip odometer. Pushing a new bike to gas station is embarassing. :haha:

Live a learn.

Tim

How fast were you going?  Any head, tail, or cross winds?
I get great gas mileage going under 80 with little wind...46-48mpg.

I get lower 40's mpg going 90-100mph and the same going 80mph with wind.

I get mid-30's in any curves since I am always accelerating through the curve, then slowing down for the straight. 

I would think your mpg was pretty good in those riding conditions.
I'm 180# plus another 40 or 50 #'s of gear

Speeds ranged from 20 to 40 in the twisties, @ 4k to 6k rpm's, 70-80 elsewhere @ 4k to 4.5k rpm's. I noticed mild wind conditions most of the time, a couple of hours of gusty winds that we left behind.

Another note of interest to me was a radar warning sign in a construction area up on Hwy 80 westbound and west of Donner summit; it said I was doing 64 mph and so did the speedo. Damn, I thought I had a cushion of 2 or 3 mph...

Boy I hope my gas mileage gets better with a little more mileage. It had 150 miles on it when I left. I took a 450 mile little mountain ride Sunday and averaged in at 38mpg. Average 60 to 90 mph 80% twisties 6k to 10k feet. :(

Ride Safe.

Marc

42-43 mpg 80% freeway with bags and Givi trunk @ 80 MPH on 120 mile commute to work round trip, about 38MPG haulin ass. Goes on reserve at 228 to 245

Last edited by a moderator:
On my trip to Washington state from Colorado, I saw 51 mpg on the highway in Wyoming, 49-50 on the back roads of WY and Idaho, and 43-45 taking the mountain twisties pretty mildly. If I push it in the twisties, then it drops to 41.

Ron

At 9,200mi, I'm in the 40-44mpg range -- depending on what I am doing.

I do recall gas mileage getting substantially better after 5k miles. My first tank of gas through the bike was 36mpg. At 1k miles, I was averaging 39mpg. And now, I'm averaging like 42.XX with combined riding.

With my sedate riding style I routinely get 54+ mpg. I live in the southeast at an elevation of about 400' above sea level. On a recent 750 mile trip I averaged 55+ mpg. This trip included the infamous Cherohala Skyway and Deals Gap in east TN and NC.

My '04 FJR has 19,000+ miles on the odo. I typically ride with the shield in the full down position. Most of my riding is on rural asphalt paved roads at speeds of 55 - 65 mph. I ride the FJR like a cruiser with occasional brief bursts of excitement.

I get 39.5 in the cityI should prolly get better than that but I have a bad right wrist.

I don't like to go fast but I love acceleration.

Larry

Boy I hope my gas mileage gets better with a little more mileage. It had 150 miles on it when I left. I took a 450 mile little mountain ride Sunday and averaged in at 38mpg. Average 60 to 90 mph 80% twisties 6k to 10k feet. :(
Ride Safe.

Marc
Marc, I also got below 40 when I first got the bike (05), but the mileage went up with each fill up. I haven't checked exact mileage lately, but it was 45+ the last time I checked and my seat of the pants estimate says it is at least that or better. Riding varies, sometimes back roads in the valley, sometimes mountain roads, but always two up.

My '05 non ABS with 4000 miles gets about 40 mpg regardless of speed, load, or weather. This in the mountainous elevations of WI. The blinky light on the fuel indicator goes on at 200 miles, plus or minus a couple of miles, every time. My Concours used to get about the same, so I figger I got a LOT more power for the same fuel consumption = good deal for me. Only reason I even think about fuel mileage on a bike is to keep an eye on engine condition/performance, and to make sure I don't run out before the next stop. From an economy perspective, it doesn't concern me, since the fuel is being burned for recreational purposes anyway. Hell, my EFI equipped snowmobile only gets about 9 mpg - talk about a thirsty machine!