tel at the Big Show

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tel

Reaction score
Arrived Wednesday at Spartanburg after the long 2,450 mile ride from Sth. CA. Doug Webb and I left from his house on Saturday evening as Dean Tanji wanted to film us leaving for the "Hard Miles 2009" or whatever name they give it this year, DVD. Dean's son had come over to my house the previous Monday for an interview. No idea if any of the video they took of me will be cut or not. We'll have to see. Why did they pick Doug and I - that's easy, we lived the shortest distance away from the film crew.

Doug decided to take the freeway route and headed for Kingman, while I went to Phoenix. Sunday I took a nice ride through the mountains of Arizona and New Mexico.

Did a bit of advance bonus hunting -

622853527_tV7ux-S.jpg

The Very Large Array in New Mexico.

622854216_J43uZ-S.jpg

Lunch in Pie Town

622853145_jHFYX-S.jpg

Guess what I ate - yep you got it..... a chicken sandwich. Chatted with the guy on the V-Strom, he said the pie wasn't worth $5.

Met up with Doug in Amarillo on Sunday night

622852287_Ru8n5-S.jpg

We rode together Monday along I40. Hit some big downpours in OK and Arkansas. Found out that my Stitch leaks. Not good. At a gas stop we noticed that my aux tank was loose so Doug (he had fitted the tank to my bike) did some repairs.

622852163_svEYJ-S.jpg

I stayed near Little Rock Tuesday (no hurry) Doug had an appointment for tires on Wed., so pushed on past Memphis. The rain came down big time in Little Rock that night - thunder, lightning the whole nine yards. So on Tuesday I stopped at a bike dealer in Memphis and bought a rain suit.

Took the backroads for 300 miles through TN on Wed, big mistake, really slow going. Had a call from Bob & Sylvie Torter who were riding with Lynda and Terry Lehman and we arranged to meet just the other side of Chattanooga that night.

80 miles from the motel I found this at a gas stop.

626209645_tbAC3-S.jpg

No idea how long it had been there. As it didn't appear to be leaking air I decided to try and make the motel and work on the problem there. Made it ok, but held the speed down somewhat. The tire had 34 psi when I tested it at the motel.

Bob and Terry etc arrived as I was fixing the flat

626210292_6QFe8-S.jpg

Hopefully problem solved

626210239_qAGDZ-S.jpg

Wednesday we had just 250 miles to get to Spartanburg. The tire plug held, we stopped after 100 miles and tested the pressure, no leaks.

Arrived about 2pm local

626210316_kk3ab-S.jpg

I had new tires fitted on Thursday as planned.

It's now Friday and it seems that most riders are here; I heard that 105 will start. Haven't seen Matt, Skoot or Jerry yet. Turbo Dave was hit by some flying truck tire on his way to SC, but seems in good spirits.

Doug and I went on a sight seeing trip this morning to Cowpens (Revolutionary war battle site) and the BMW factory, which I personally believe will be the first bonus location so Dean Tanji can film the riders for the DVD.

626210721_fWopQ-S.jpg

Yours truly at Cowpens.

Just a couple of days to the off - still all the paperwork and stuff to go through. Getting a little nervous already.

tel

Good Luck, Tel! And to all the other FJRforum members as well...

Looking for good things this year from our folks :drinks: :dance: :helmetsmiley:

Thanks for the update, Terry. Say hey to Doug for me. Do either of you have a SPOT?

I'll see you guys at the finish.

Dennis

Good luck, have fun. I don't know if it will help, but when things start to suck, and they will, just remember that there are a lot of us that wish we were able to do what you are doing.

Not to worry, Terry. We'll take good care of you, as well as the other FJR riders, at sign-in inside the Marriot. It's Dale you have to worry about tomorrow at tech inspection. The pressure is beginning to mount here. Good luck to everyone.

Roger

Where you at, boy? :p

Good little pre-rally summary, Terry. I don't know where boys like you and Iggy get the time to do it.

Been looking for you. Today was a 'clear up loose ends' day for me. No sightseeing - except for a lot of Spartanburg traffic in the hot, muggy conditions. :angry:

I took 60 across NM and the VLA also. I love that route. I woulda stopped for pie in Pietown, but the Pie-o-neer was closed. The pie is worth the $5!!! For crying out loud, how can you stop in Pietown and not have pie? Dork! :D

Hey Terry, where the hell are you? I've been here since last night and haven't seen hide nor hair of you and Doug. Meese overshot Spartanburg and is having fresh tires put on at Bill Thweatt's place in Charlotte. Should be here tonight.