Death Valley Daze (2010-01-22)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Death Valley Daze with Zonies

With all the smack going down by RenoJohn, and not wanting to be *proven* a kitten, I decided to 'man up' and make the trek. Until I saw the forecast that is, at which time my mangina took over. But then Toecutter called, said, "Hey, what time do we meet up?" and I was back to being a man again.

Wabs rear knobbie was about 75% gone, and the new one didn't arrive in time for a replacement, due to UPS refusing to run up my dirt road for fear of getting stuck. Like they did several weeks before; so it was Wabs on a fading rear or don't go at all and be a kitten. Meow. This would come back to bite me later. Kittens have teeth you know..

Friday Morning

Leaving out, hiway 58 East of Creston by about 20 miles. This is the most rain we'd had for over 5 years. If you've never ridden 58 from the 5 junction west, you owe it yourself to do so. If this road doesn't make you smile, even if wet, cold, hungry, and dark, then you *are* a kitten. The first leg was meet ToeCutter at Denny's in Bakersfield, CA for lunch. This would come out later too.

DSC04139.jpg

DSC04140.jpg

DSC04143.jpg

DSC04148.jpg

DSC04149.jpg

DSC04151.jpg

DSC04152.jpg

After lunch at good old Denny's, I ate Swis-cheese mushroom-burger while smart and skinny and in shape Toecutter had a salad, we were off. This was a sign of things to come.

DSC04156.jpg

Alternate route planned, we continued up Ca 14 northbound.

DSC04161.jpg

Through Searles valley to park entrance. I think this path is the best DV has to offer.

DSC04164.jpg

DSC04165.jpg

DSC04169.jpg

DSC04171.jpg

DSC04172.jpg

Toecutter in flight

DSC04178.jpg

Approaching Towhnshend pass, west side of DV.

DSC04183.jpg

DSC04185.jpg

DSC04190.jpg

DSC04192.jpg

I hadn't felt good from about 1 hour after eating the Denny's burger, my guts were hurting real bad, like two severe kidney punches,and I had been squeezing cheeks to keep from sharting my britches. The last gas stop in Trona was very difficult too; the credit card wouldn't work. Got another one out, it worked, but the gas pump lever was broken. Push the bike to another pump, dropped my glove. Reached down to pick it up and "Oh shit, did I just crap my pants" thought train happened. Then I couldn't find my keys. I muttered out loud "Why am I having all this trouble? Why is everything, I mean *everything* so damn difficult?

Toecutter, relaxed on bike in the Iron Butt Hotel mode, casually says

"Hey, I just asked my GPS the fasted route to the Longstreet".

"Yeah, what's it say" I foolishly ask.

"Travel without Carver" Toe gleefully replies, unaware of my intenalized trauma.

Toe and I arrived at the Longstreet after dark, just in the nick time for the burger to reach full ecoli fruition. I didn't have dinner, didn't party with good peeps, just stayed in the room with both ends running full throttle until about 11pm. Toecutter doesn't like loud pipes, so he left after the first round, muttering something about something. :sick:

To be continued.

Saturday Morning

Next morning, Toe casually asks

"Say, how's that bed? It's the only thing you've expereinced since you've been here!"

You just gotta love a dry sense of humor. Shit, at the time, I'd of been happy just to have a dry fart.

Anyway, no kitten here, Saturday morning dawned bright and early with the promise of new day and some riding. I took a roll of TP with me, just in case. Kittens come prepared.

First stop Dantes View. BeemerDons and Reena.

DSC04194.jpg

Then to Badwater

DSC04196.jpg

DSC04198.jpg

DSC04199.jpg

DSC04202.jpg

DSC04204.jpg

Then to Furnace Creek for coffee. The gang hangs out.

DSC04209.jpg

Hickle

DSC04211-1.jpg

Eeksnake

DSC04212.jpg

Fairlaner

DSC04213.jpg

SkooterG

DSC04215.jpg

I'm woozy and getting greener by the second. Not very social when I don't feel good. Sorry guys.

DSC04214.jpg

The gang was headed off to Scotties Castle, I said bye to everyone fully intending to head back to the comfort of my new throne back at the Longstreet. Then, I decided 'just phuck it'. I'm sick, get over it. So what. Be sick in Death Valley and see stuff like you may never see it again. Live the day. Poop your pants if need be. Make lemonade when delt lemons. So I decided to run north up to Stove Pipe Wells, scout out any dirt roads, take some photos, get into the 'explatory' mode, see parts of DV I'd not been to.

Arriving at Stove Pipe, guess who is there? The entire gang! Jeesh, these guys don't go far without stopping. Had a great conversation with a Beemerite, Dave, from Vancouver Island, IIRC.

BeemerDons and Orestes

DSC04217.jpg

Reena, BeemerDons, Orestes

DSC04219.jpg

Heading back South, looking for dirt roads. Most all dirt rides were closed due to recent rains.

DSC04227.jpg

DSC04230.jpg

DSC04234.jpg

DSC04236.jpg

DSC04240.jpg

The Borax mine road was open though..

DSC04252.jpg

DSC04253.jpg

DSC04254.jpg

DSC04256.jpg

DSC04257.jpg

DSC04258.jpg

DSC04259.jpg

DSC04260.jpg

DSC04261.jpg

DSC04262.jpg

DSC04263.jpg

DSC04265.jpg

DSC04266.jpg

DSC04270.jpg

DSC04271.jpg

DSC04273.jpg

Camground Hunting

I want to bring the camper with trailer and bike and spend more than 2 days in DV, so I went looking for campgrounds, found this one.

DSC04282.jpg

DSC04276.jpg

And I found a happy camper too

DSC04278.jpg

Up above Furnace Creek resort - see the star? I'd like to see it lit at night.

DSC04283.jpg

Still looking for an open dirt road.

DSC04284.jpg

DSC04285.jpg

Hey, Echo Canyon, this will do! Let's see what's uphead. I mean, like how bad can it get?

DSC04289.jpg

DSC04291.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, for surviving the gutbuster, you did get to see some mighty fine scenery and take some mighty fine pictures.

Echo Canyon - Can you hear me now?

Didn't see any FJR's up here - Johnny80's, is this the type of riding you have in mind?

DSC04293.jpg

DSC04294.jpg

This was my kitten point. Very soft, forward progress increasingly more difficult. Worn knobbie, it would take full commitment to continue forward motion. I was alone, no one knew where I was, and I was physically weak. Enough.

DSC04295.jpg

DSC04297.jpg

DSC04298.jpg

DSC04299.jpg

DSC04300.jpg

DSC04301.jpg

Oops. Dirt nap.

DSC04303.jpg

Ouch!She has character now..

DSC04305.jpg

My bud.

DSC04313.jpg

Nice report and photos...you survived. :clapping:

Ohhhh, and next time just give Toe the bird and do whacha gotta do. A fellow traveler should understand. :)

...Or just agree to meet up somewhere's else down the road. B)

Nice report and photos...you survived. :clapping:
Ohhhh, and next time just give Toe the bird and do whacha gotta do. A fellow traveler should understand. :)

...Or just agree to meet up somewhere's else down the road. B)
Nah, Toe's my bud. He can say darn near anything and not make me hissy. He has a wonderful dry sense of humor that I really enjoy!

Sunday, heading home.

Toecutter wanted to leave via the north east route, then drop into Scotties Castle before turning west. He said it was 'fairly nice ride'. Yeah, right. Toe, if that's 'fairly' nice, what does fantastic look like?

Gas stop in Beatty.

DSC04317.jpg

DSC04316.jpg

95 north, IIRC, Toe in stride.

DSC04327.jpg

DSC04330.jpg

DSC04331.jpg

DSC04333.jpg

DSC04334.jpg

DSC04336.jpg

DSC04338.jpg

DSC04339.jpg

DSC04342.jpg

DSC04344.jpg

DSC04345.jpg

Toe's Zenwhipper moment.

TC found 265, it runs south to Scotties Castle. We were there for about 30 minutes, no cars. No burros. No nothing. Nice.

DSC04346.jpg

DSC04350.jpg

DSC04351.jpg

DSC04354.jpg

DSC04358.jpg

DSC04360.jpg

DSC04362.jpg

DSC04363.jpg

DSC04367.jpg

DSC04369.jpg

DSC04370.jpg

DSC04371.jpg

DSC04379.jpg

DSC04380.jpg

Then west bound.

DSC04382.jpg

DSC04385.jpg

DSC04388.jpg

DSC04389.jpg

DSC04390.jpg

DSC04392.jpg

DSC04395.jpg

A couple miles East of Panamint Springs. Check out the water!

DSC04403.jpg

DSC04404.jpg

Out of the park, heading towards Olancha

DSC04418.jpg

DSC04422.jpg

DSC04430.jpg

DSC04434.jpg

DSC04436.jpg

It should be a blast to see DV in March, hopefully the wildflowers will be out in force. The Zonies are a great bunch of guys, I enjoyed meeting and talking with many of them, they are true riders with a wonderful sense of adventure. And the koolaid? It ain't bad either, evidently! :rolleyes:

That's all folks - see you in March.

ps - apologies for the sideways pix. I've corrected them in PhotoBucket but they aren't changing.. :angry:

At least you got to see Scotty's Castle. We had to fix Nick's (Gkeeper)

tire.and never made it.

Joe (Bob to dcarver)

Nice work DC! I'm glad I missed the Denny's Swiss burger and the symphony later that night. I'd treat that drop in the dirt as a badge of honor on my dual sport. I'll try to do your photo work justice in my ride report coming up in March when the Mrs. and I go posie sniffin there. Oh about Toe, the only thing drier than DV in the summertime is his humor!

Nice work DC. Way to leave the pavement princess behind while you explored. A good road for DS'n is the racetrack. Once up there you can go for miles.

Can't wait to get back to DV. Yes it will be on the GS's. Only way to adventure ride.

dcarver: Those are some incredible photographs, you definitely have professional picture taking skills! You certainly captured the wonderful time we all had this DVD!

Don you got it. That's the kinda riding I am looking at. I joined Stromtroopers and advrider. I am doing my research.

Thanks for letting me take out Wabs. She's a keeper.

Nice work DC! I'm glad I missed the Denny's Swiss burger and the symphony later that night. I'd treat that drop in the dirt as a badge of honor on my dual sport. I'll try to do your photo work justice in my ride report coming up in March when the Mrs. and I go posie sniffin there. Oh about Toe, the only thing drier than DV in the summertime is his humor!
Doode, were you there and I missed you? :unsure: I wasn't too social this trip...

Nice work DC. Way to leave the pavement princess behind while you explored. A good road for DS'n is the racetrack. Once up there you can go for miles.
Can't wait to get back to DV. Yes it will be on the GS's. Only way to adventure ride.
I'm eager to go back, would love to trailer a true dual sporter and run the length of Echo Canyon and some of the other advanced dirt trails. It looks like Echo Canyon actually crosses the park border.

Great pics and story, DC... hope your sphincter is feeling all bettah now! ;)
All better Tyler, baby-wipes are a mans best friend sometimes!

Don you got it. That's the kinda riding I am looking at. I joined Stromtroopers and advrider. I am doing my research.
Thanks for letting me take out Wabs. She's a keeper.
I just saw a fully outfitted 04 for 3,300 asking, about 25k on the clock. For reference Wabs is at 22k.

Latest posts