Sena SMH10 Intercom

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, I bought a pair of them, and they arrived today.

First impressions are good, easy to setup, decent speakers, and easy install in my Shoei RF-1100 helmet (which has "indentations" that are the perfect size for these speakers...I don't even feel them. I could not say the same for the Chatterbox XBi2 + Scorpion EXO-400 combo I used to have).

A really cool feature is the AVRCP. In addition to A2DP (Stereo Bluetooth), you can play/pause your music over bluetooth using the SMH10 unit. The SMH10 also supports going forward/backward in tracks as well, alas, my iPhone is crippled and doesn't support that functionality.

Haven't been able to do a road test on them yet because of this damn spring snow storm we're having, but as soon as the roads dry up, I'll be sure to report back!

Been lookin at a lot of different comm systems lately this one was high on my list.

I'll be looking forward to your feedback.

It sounds good, but for same price, the Scala G4 has full duplex. I have the G4 but also haven't been able to give it a full road test.

One of my concerns was speaker quality, and the G4's are way better than the Q2's. I listen to music via the Zumo's mp3 player, which isn't the greatest. I want to try an external mp3 player as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I briefly looked at the G4, but was drawn to the SMH10 because of it's simple interface (a big jog dial). It's dead simple to use with even thick gloves on.

It was a toss up for me between the Sena, G4 and Interphone F4. They're all getting great reviews. I went with the F4 mostly due to the fact that there are others in my riding group so we can pair easily for bike-to-bike. FWIW, the F4 is also working very well and has fantastic sound volume and quality.

We've finally had some good weather, and I've gotten a chance to road test these. One somewhat strange thing I noticed is that the music volume level seems to be louder than the intercom level. In other words, I usually have to turn up the volume during intercom sessions, then turn it back down when I go back to music.

I tested them in several scenarios:

A ) windshield (Cee Bailey's +4+2 flip) all the way up, no earplugs

B ) windshield all the way down, no earplugs

C ) windshield all the way up, earplugs

D ) windshield all the way down, earplugs

Results as follows:

A ) I have a nice quiet area, so I was able to listen to my music and communicate without any problems. Don't know what level the volume was at, but certainly not a max...I could still make it uncomfortably loud

B ) too much wind noise, I could turn it up enough to hear my music, but I couldn't hear it very well, and I'm sure it's not healthy for my hearing.

C ) I had to turn up the volume to the max, and music was maybe a *little* quiet, but acceptable. It would be nice to crank it up a little bit more for those really good tunes ;) . As I mentioned before, since the intercom level is a little quieter, it's harder to hear

D ) Not too much different than scenario "C." A little bit more background noise, but it's more akin to a quiet "static" that doesn't necessarily impact volume level.

Overall, I really like it. I could get plenty of distance between me and my riding partner and it still worked pretty well. Not so well around block corners (i.e. a hill), but that's to be expected.

It was a toss up for me between the Sena, G4 and Interphone F4. They're all getting great reviews. I went with the F4 mostly due to the fact that there are others in my riding group so we can pair easily for bike-to-bike. FWIW, the F4 is also working very well and has fantastic sound volume and quality.

I have the F4 and love it. GF and I can talk for hours (had to turn the damn thing off more than a few times to have a little peace and quiet) . She rides her own bike (VFR800) and the connection remains very good fot over half a mile. The sound is very clear. When not in the intercom mode I listen to stereo XM radio throught my Zumo550 using a BT adaptor. I have the BluBridge mini-jack. Can you pair with more than one other F4 and have a three way communication at full duplex? I am not sure you can, but I may be wrong.

We've finally had some good weather, and I've gotten a chance to road test these. One somewhat strange thing I noticed is that the music volume level seems to be louder than the intercom level. In other words, I usually have to turn up the volume during intercom sessions, then turn it back down when I go back to music.
I tested them in several scenarios:

A ) windshield (Cee Bailey's +4+2 flip) all the way up, no earplugs

B ) windshield all the way down, no earplugs

C ) windshield all the way up, earplugs

D ) windshield all the way down, no earplugs

Results as follows:

A ) I have a nice quiet area, so I was able to listen to my music and communicate without any problems. Don't know what level the volume was at, but certainly not a max...I could still make it uncomfortably loud

B ) too much wind noise, I could turn it up enough to hear my music, but I couldn't hear it very well, and I'm sure it's not healthy for my hearing.

C ) I had to turn up the volume to the max, and music was maybe a *little* quiet, but acceptable. It would be nice to crank it up a little bit more for those really good tunes ;) . As I mentioned before, since the intercom level is a little quieter, it's harder to hear

D ) Not too much different than scenario "C." A little bit more background noise, but it's more akin to a quiet "static" that doesn't necessarily impact volume level.

Overall, I really like it. I could get plenty of distance between me and my riding partner and it still worked pretty well. Not so well around block corners (i.e. a hill), but that's to be expected.
Confused... :(

B & D in the first list are the same, yet your results talk about differences...

Typo?

Review update after using them for a while....

Still very impressed. I did have to get both of them replaced under warranty due to the electrical contacts getting a bit mangled. This was a result of trying to blindly put the removable unit back onto the base unit (on the helmet), and ended up not lining it up very well. From now on, I take extra precaution to line it up before trying to clip into place.

Battery life...holy crap! Just did a 12 hour ride (including a 1 hour lunch where the SMH10 was turned off), and the battery held the entire trip! It does include a charging adapter to fit into the cigarette lighter type plug, including a coiled wire to allow for flexibility. Test fitting in the garage seemed like it would work and not get too terribly annoying if it had to be worn on the road, but I didn't get the opportunity to try it out in the real world :)

Here's hoping the battery keeps it's charging capacity for a while

Can any of the newest generation bluetooth communications systems use earphones instead of helmet speakers?

Can any of the newest generation bluetooth communications systems use earphones instead of helmet speakers?
Chatterbox XBi2 can. Only one that I know of.

Sena is rumored to be releasing a new helmet base soon that provides for earbud connection instead of helmet speakers. But nobody has seen it yet.

FWIW, I've completed a few days of riding with the Sena SMH-10. The simplicity of controls makes it viable to use/operate with gloves on. Never once did I feel the need to remove my helmet and look at the unit to make changes/adjustments. That's a BIG plus in my book.

I would like a bit more volume from A2DP/MP3 music. The Zumo 660 doesn't play MP3s quite as loud as the 550. But then again, the 660 is stereo Bluetooth and the 550 is... well... mono! Yuck!!!

So far, the Sena unit is doing almost exactly as advertised.

I would like a bit more volume from A2DP/MP3 music.
I use iTunes/iPhone, and went in and changed the volume adjustment for all the tracks in my "Riding Tunes" playlist. It makes the tracks themselves play louder. Not sure how exactly this would translate to whatever combo you may be using, but something to investigate.

To the OP and others who have the Sena,

I'm looking at getting a pair of these for 2-up riding with the wife, as well as bike to bike when I'm out with buddies. I just have one question which is regarding use in rain. Are these babies waterproof (it rains a lot here)? Or do you need to store them when it pours?

Also, any recommendations on where (online) I should order them from? I'm in Malaysia and have contacted Sena to ask if they have local resellers here. Unfortunately, they don't.

Thanks in advance.

Nik.

EDIT : Also, I use a Schuberth C3 Size S, and a Nolan N103 size M. I'm wondering if anyone with the same helmet is also using the SMH10. Would be great to hear your experience. Thanks.

To the OP and others who have the Sena,
I'm looking at getting a pair of these for 2-up riding with the wife, as well as bike to bike when I'm out with buddies. I just have one question which is regarding use in rain. Are these babies waterproof (it rains a lot here)? Or do you need to store them when it pours?

Also, any recommendations on where (online) I should order them from? I'm in Malaysia and have contacted Sena to ask if they have local resellers here. Unfortunately, they don't.

Thanks in advance.

Nik.

EDIT : Also, I use a Schuberth C3 Size S, and a Nolan N103 size M. I'm wondering if anyone with the same helmet is also using the SMH10. Would be great to hear your experience. Thanks.
They're classified as "water-resistant," whatever that means. I've only been in some really light showers since I've gotten it with no ill effects. During a downpour, I'd probably want to take it off and store it (really, I'd probably want to just take myself off the bike).

You might try British Motorcycle Gear (note: this particular link financially benefits webBikeWorld.com) or Amazon (Amazon doesn't sell these directly, it's done via their marketplace or whatever...I ordered mine from the user 'DELAMANO' and have no complaints)

oh, and sorry, can't help you on the helmet fitment either

Thanks for the feedback Phroenips. You're right about the downpour. I'd probably want to get out of it as well :)

Mine survived two torrential, but short (less than 1-hour) downpours with no ill effects. That was however, with both the MP3/audio port and Charge port carefully plugged. They have very good rubber plugs that are not always pushed in completely. You must use bare fingers, not gloved ones, to make sure the plugs are seated completely.

I would like a bit more volume from A2DP/MP3 music.
I use iTunes/iPhone, and went in and changed the volume adjustment for all the tracks in my "Riding Tunes" playlist. It makes the tracks themselves play louder. Not sure how exactly this would translate to whatever combo you may be using, but something to investigate.
I've tried driving the MP3 volume tag up to 95 db and even higher. It does help, but above 95 db the distortion overtakes any benefits. The problem is NOT Sena, it's the Zumo 660 and its A2DP protocol. You can wire the Zumo to the Sena audio input and everything works just fine. Another A2DP MP3 player works just fine to the Sena too.