bar-ends help with mirror "shake"?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

818Guy

Reaction score
Ever since my 600 mile service my mirrors vibrate like a mofo at freeway speeds. They almost seem useless - as bad as when I had my chopper.

I'm getting some manic salamander bar-ends and I was wondering if anyone has (1) experienced this same vibration/shake with the mirrors and (2) if bar-ends helped at all.

Thanks.

Did the mirrors vibrate BEFORE the 600 mile service? If not, then something went wrong during the 600 mile service, and whatever it is needs to be corrected. You should have clear vision in the mirrors with or without bar end weights.

They might have just losened up. Check and tighten. Backup plan-TBS.

All was good before the service - which was done at a Yamaha dealership. They are ordering me a new left mirror since that was the worse of the two. They did tell me that the whole bike vibrates and when "you see yourself in the mirrors, you will be clear since you are vibrating with the bike." That part is true as my elbows are crystal clear when riding. They also said, "that's the nature of the FJR."

When you say "tighten" everything, what do you mean? *shrug*

Some members have reported lose mounting bolts on the mirror assembly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the bolts, and if they're tight, rotate the glass inside the housing (either clockwise or counterclockwise) until the glass/mirror piece touches the outer housing. (assuming '06 model year that is...)

I rotated the left one CCW, and the right one CW (makes both of them 'tip down' inside the mirror housing.

Check the bolts, and if they're tight, rotate the glass inside the housing (either clockwise or counterclockwise) until the glass/mirror piece touches the outer housing. (assuming '06 model year that is...)I rotated the left one CCW, and the right one CW (makes both of them 'tip down' inside the mirror housing.

Yes, my FJR is an 06. I'll check everything this evening.

BTW, what do you mean it'll tip down inside the housing? Does it affect the use of the mirrors? (Sorry for the newbie questions... trying to learn. :clapping: )

Thanks.

818guy -- what i'm trying to say is to grab the inner mirror part (with the glass), and rotate it either CW or CCW within the mirror housing so that the mirror assembly is touching the housing. it doesn't affect the use of the mirrors at all. The though is that with the mirror in contact with the housing -- some of the harmonic vibration is damped out, thus reducing the 'shaking' or vibration in the mirror.

Centered:

MirrorCentered.jpg

Rotated (reduces vibration or can eliminate it):

MirrorRotated-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just ran outside and twisted them to touch the inside of the housing. It won't be until later this afternoon I'll check it out... but I hope it works! Thanks for the help.

All was good before the service - which was done at a Yamaha dealership.
I'm glad to hear that rotating the mirrors made things better for you. But it doesn't explain why the mirrors were fine or acceptable before the 600 mile service, then got much worse afterward. Have you considered that the dealer may just be telling you what's easiest and cheapest for them to say? Not all dealers have great mechanics, in fact some of them are very poor in this regard.

My FJR is an '05, and my mirrors are not the same design as yours. But I can say for a fact that my mirrors are always clear at all RPM, and it is NOT in the nature of the FJR to vibrate excessively (only a minor amount of vibration is normal, regardless of model year).

It might be worth the time to get a second opinion from another dealer, or find another FJR rider in your area so you can compare your bike with theirs to see if the amount of vibration you have is normal. Of course, you might first perform the normal checks (as other suggested) for loose hardware, etc. if you are able to do so.

Good luck!

My 07 mirrors also vibrate when cruising. Makes it difficult to see if that's a cop coming up behind you! I just recently did the 600 miles service with TBS and no help. I've thought about adding some lead weight to the backside of the mirror glass to dampen vibration, but haven't had a chance to see how the mirrors come apart. I'll let you know how that goes when I get around to it, but it's not a high priority right now.