The bridges of Sacramento River Delta.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puppychow

RAWR
Reaction score
New Years eve and the day before in the Sacramento valley provided a much needed relief from the incessant rain that has been lashing California this winter. I hear we are already at 200% snow pack, but I digress - New years eve was a beautiful day to go for a ride and I had the day off from work - perfect!

Being the young and eligible bachelor that I am - I had a lunch date with this pretty brunette in Davis and decided to make the best of the day by making this a Ride to Date! I got a 9:30AM start and only had 3 hours to goof around on my way to Davis, so I never got off the bike when taking these pictures..

I soon found myself west of Lodi heading towards the delta on Hwy 12. Pretty farm country and I happened upon this helicopter dusting the crops! I have never seen a heli dusting crops before...very cool!

Can you spot it? :)

heli.jpg

The first bridge to cross was on Hwy 12 to Tyler's Island.

I took a picture as I was crossing it..

tylerislandbridge.jpg

Then turned the camera around and took another, once I crossed it..

tylerbridge2.jpg

Shortly afterwards I reached the Rio Vista bridge.

Rio Vista Bridge.

riovistabridge.jpg

I reverted to Hwy 160 form here and there was not much traffic on this sunny day and the river looked calm and gorgeous as Hwy 160 ran alongside it hugging it close..

river1.jpg

Next stop was Isleton. I snapped a quick picture of this Isleton establishment. Crawfish - the poor man's Lobster! It is considered a delicacy - I had tried it once before, I think I like Lobster better.

crawfish.jpg

Next up was the Hwy 160 bridge past Isleton, CA as Hwy 160 splits off from River Rd.

Took a picture as I was crossing the bridge.

bridgeto160.jpg

Then pulled over to take another shot..

bridgeto1602.jpg

On my way to Ryde, CA - I found a houseboat cruising the river, enjoying this fine day!

houseboat.jpg

Pulled over at the Ryde hotel to take a picture, before Ryding on..

rydehotel.jpg

Crossed over again from Hwy 160 onto River Road at the Walnut Grove bridge.

WalnutGrovebridge.jpg

Pulled over to the side to take a picture once I crossed it..

WalnutGrovebridge2.jpg

Crossed over from River Road to Hwy 160 again before Courtland.

courtlandbridge.jpg

courtlandbridge2.jpg

I made a right(wrong) turn here instead of making a left (right) turn and missed the Steamboat Slough Bridge :(

Next time!

Racing towards Sacramento, CA I happened upon this parade!

blacksheepparade.jpg

These were riders from the "Jesus is Lord, Black Sheep" motorcycle group. There were about 20 motorcycles in this group and these guys were painfully slow, I wondered if these nice christian folk would let me by. So, I passed the sweep and waved to him behind me. It was my way of gesturing that I intended to pass all of them, the sweep held back, so at the first opportunity I passed about half of the group and at the next all of them giving them a goodbye wave as they vanished from my rear view mirrors.

I was soon in Sacramento, CA crossing the last bridge on my ride plan. The Tower Bridge in Sacramento, CA.

sacramentobridge.jpg

sacramentobridge2.jpg

I took a parting shot at the State Kapitol of Kalifornia, before this young man headed west to Davis!

sacramentocapitol.jpg

Thanks for reading! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great idea for a theme, Sam. We do have some beautiful visuals in our area, don't we.

I was just through Walnut Grove on Dec. 26th. I was riding the KLR and got this shot from near where you took your photo:

SAM_0032.jpg

Great minds, and all that..... ;)

WOW! Excellent Pix Sam! :yahoo:

That was great seeing all those bridges and Delta area.

I secretly love NorCal and those roads up there but I'll never admit it. :D

They named an island after me?? I don't remember any PR calls for posing on my island. ;)

The first bridge to cross was on Hwy 12 to Tyler's Island.
Great pics, Sam... isn't it cool how you can go not so far away from home and find so many wonders? This one is my favorite... thanks for posting them and reminding me of these gems!! B)

Then pulled over to take another shot..

bridgeto1602.jpg

Most excellent pictorial of 'non-dental'-Bridges....

That house boat/Tour Bus was sweet, would like a closer look of that one.

Thanks for sharing,

What a great idea for a theme, Sam. We do have some beautiful visuals in our area, don't we.
I thoroughly enjoyed this bridge ride, my only lament is not having enough time to find and capture on film all the other bridges over the Delta, not to mention the ferry crossings! A pretty woman always manages to skew my priorities! ;)

Not many tourists in the delta this time of the year - Spring and Summer are a different story with car and hog groups of all kinds doing group drives and rides!

I thoroughly enjoyed this bridge ride, my only lament is not having enough time to find and capture on film all the other bridges over the Delta, not to mention the ferry crossings! A pretty woman always manages to skew my priorities! ;)

Not many tourists in the delta this time of the year - Spring and Summer are a different story with car and hog groups of all kinds doing group drives and rides!

Nice report and great pictures! thanks for sharing. I get to do the tower bridge every day on my way to our office affectionately called the puzzle palace....

One of my favorite winter rides, and I rarely take pictures. But, here is Steamboat Slough for your collection. Nothing like a steel deck on a foggy, wet day.

Memorial011.jpg

Memorial012.jpg

Yeah yeah yeah, bridges are nice an' all, but there's only one picture I want to see, and you didn't include it--The pretty brunette, you dawg! Sheesh! What's the matter with you anyway? <_<

Apart from that minor oversight, you caught a beautiful day and some great pics. Hope to see you soon (Third Annual 3Bs Ride? :unsure: )