Trip Planning - Southwest Tour, Oct. 2011

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Miss Demeanor
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I've had this trip on my calendar for awhile now and have a rough outline of the proposed route. I've never been in these areas so am looking for some route suggestions as well as places to stay. Accommodations don't have to be fancy/expensive... a nice clean bed for the night and/or a place with some character/personality rather than the chain motel/hotel. The rough outline looks something like this:

Route updated:

Mon, October 03, 2011 Bakersfield

Tues, October 04, 2011 Mesquite (or LV)

Wed, October 05, 2011 Zion (Springdale)

Thurs, October 06, 2011 Bryce

Fri, October 07, 2011 Ouray, CO

Sat, October 08, 2011 Ouray, CO (day off)

Sun, October 09, 2011 Mexican Hat

Mon, October 10, 2011 Mexican Hat (sightseeing day)

Tues, October 11, 2011 Jacob Lake, AZ

Wed, October 12, 2011 Jacob Lake - North Rim and back

Thurs, October 13, 2011 Mesquite (or LV)

Fri, October 14, 2011 Benton Hot Springs

Sat, October 15, 2011 Benton HS (day off)

Sun, October 16, 2011 Home

Google map link.

Reversing the route as I really want to hit the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Hwy 12 is on the list of roads as well as Bryce/Zion parks.

Change in route is all Greg/SkooterG's fault. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
...Accommodations don't have to be fancy/expensive...

Friggin' Nancy!

A real man just pulls off into the gravel, and lays down next to his bike.

...Hope this has been helpful.

biggrin.gif

Tell us how many days you have planned for your trip and how many miles a day you like to ride. If I were planning the trip I would include Mesa Verde, the million $$$ highway to Ouray, and Moab (the Canyonlands and Arches Nat Parks).

It been a while since I stayed at the North Rim Cabins...very nice (except for limited eating facilities) but they sure have gone up in price. It would be pretty easy to get a room at Jacob's Lake and visit the North Rim from there.

Tell us how many days you have planned for your trip and how many miles a day you like to ride. If I were planning the trip I would include Mesa Verde, the million $$$ highway to Ouray, and Moab (the Canyonlands and Arches Nat Parks).

It been a while since I stayed at the North Rim Cabins...very nice (except for limited eating facilities) but they sure have gone up in price. It would be pretty easy to get a room at Jacob's Lake and visit the North Rim from there.
12 days - mileage can vary but around 300 miles/day is good with a day off every couple of days to relax and recharge:

Date From To Miles

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 Santa Clara Las Vegas 530

Thursday, October 06, 2011 Las Vegas Grand Canyon 269

Friday, October 07, 2011 Grand Canyon 0

Saturday, October 08, 2011 Grand Canyon Farmington, NM 354

Sunday, October 09, 2011 Farmington, NM Taos, NM 210

Monday, October 10, 2011 Taos - sightseeing 0

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 Taos, NM Mexican Hat, UT 349

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 Mexican Hat, UT Capitol Reef, UT 167

Thursday, October 13, 2011 Capitol Reef, UT Bryce Canyon, UT 124

Friday, October 14, 2011 Bryce Canyon, UT Benton Hot Springs, CA 452

Saturday, October 15, 2011 Benton Hot Springs, CA Mammoth Lakes visit 0

Saturday, October 15, 2011 Mammoth Lakes, CA Home 276

My Darling Tyler, since the Southwest is my own backyard and I do believe I have ridden every single road at least once, I will be periodically contributing to this thread. Here is from last year's AZ Beemers Ride Report; We'll start with Mexican Hat, Utah.

CIMG2300.jpg

"We pulled into Mexican Hat. Not much of a town, but all a traveler needs. A gas station, 3 hotels and some resturants. I wanted to stay in the fancier San Juan Inn, but they were booked up. So, we went for the less fancy but functional Hat Rock Inn.

https://www.hatrockinn.com/

The recommendation from the locals for dinner was the Swinging Steak resturant.

https://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-249163

All of the food is prepared over a wood fired grill and an antique wood fired cast iron stove. Not sure why, but the grill swings like a swing set over the fire, hence the name. We ordered the 18oz. ribeye steaks and I don't know if the swinging helped, but starting with a very nice hunk of steak and good preparation made for a tasty dinner. Sorry, no pix, too busy eating.

There was a live CW band to entertain also. Besides ourselves and occasional random tourists, there was a large group of folks on a bicycle "Race Across America". There was also a Harley crew. Like the Harley crew like to do, they were slamming down the brews. Two of them seemed to be having a good time dancing to the music. When the band started their second set, the guy dancer decided he didn't like the music anymore and started talking about it.

What Henry and I heard was "SUCK" and then the band went silent. For a moment. And when they started back up, it wasn't music. The lady bass player launched into Mr. Harley. She was ready to go, right there, right now !! Sorry, no pix, too busy running !

As we adjourned to the hotel, the ruckus still hadn't settled down.

Nice comfy night in the hotel and we're ready to hit the big dirt tomorrow."

The North Rim Lodge is a fine place to stay, great full service restaurant, and a fun bar. Some of the cabins have views of the canyon, but the south balcony is probably the best for pics and watching the sunset:

DSC_0996.JPG

Mexican Hat has its own little hotel, with a really good restaurant/cafe that sits alongside a river:

DSC_0707.JPG

If your going to Mexican Hat, might as well go a few miles south for one of those "Run Forest Run" pics of Monument Valley:

DSC_0702.JPG

In Bryce Canyon, don't miss the Hoodoo formations:

DSC_0789.JPG

And yeah, Hwy 12. Zion is a tourist zoo on weekends.

Awesome suggestions and pics (unlike some people)... exactly what I'm looking for... thank you!! B)

The North Rim Lodge is a fine place to stay, great full service restaurant, and a fun bar. Some of the cabins have views of the canyon, but the south balcony is probably the best for pics and watching the sunset:

DSC_0996.JPG

Mexican Hat has its own little hotel, with a really good restaurant/cafe that sits alongside a river:

DSC_0707.JPG

If your going to Mexican Hat, might as well go a few miles south for one of those "Run Forest Run" pics of Monument Valley:

DSC_0702.JPG

In Bryce Canyon, don't miss the Hoodoo formations:

DSC_0789.JPG

And yeah, Hwy 12. Zion is a tourist zoo on weekends.
My Darling Tyler, since the Southwest is my own backyard and I do believe I have ridden every single road at least once, I will be periodically contributing to this thread.
Thanks, honey... very much appreciate the input and look forward to not only hearing more but maybe having you along for one or two (s)miles along the way. :D

Dearest Ty, You can count on your Papa Chuy riding with you and I'll have Son Seth with me! Seth is on the Quarter System from the Chandler Unified School District and he'll be out of session from Saturday, October 1 through Tuesday, October 18. Both of The Stanley Boys will ride along with you for a part of your M/C trip, Sweetie!

Great Minds Think Alike! Good2Go-Greg and I are unanimous in our recommendations of North Rim Lodge for your Grand Canyon Stay. Beautiful accomodations there!

Just before entering Mexican Hat, you pass the rock for which the town takes its name. There were some cool looking dirt roads that take you just up to the formation.

CIMG2291.jpg

CIMG2292.jpg

In this shot, you can see just how balanced the rock is.

CIMG2297.jpg

We rode down to a wash to warm up for tomorrow's dirt riding. Turns out it wasn't necessary.

CIMG2298.jpg

CIMG2299.jpg

CIMG2301.jpg

Tyler, BTDT a couple of times. Check it out

Western Tour

Grand Canyon

When in Torry, UT, this place is excellent. Good vodka tonics, they let you take them back to the room from the resturant. Good resturant too. Stunning views from your porch.

Rim Rock

This place was outstanding at the South Rim

El Tovar

And this place was way cool. Don't forget to bring your own beverages to sit and chill by the riverside. Not much available locally and they don't let you take stuff outside. We generally pack either a bottle (or two) of wine or gin and tonics.

San Juan Inn

Otherwise, you can stay in the mom and pop places and save some $$$ for these.

Don't forget to get gas anyplace you can. The run from GC to Farmington can get, ahem, a little bleak (see RR)

Edit: There's also This Place. Don't know what the story is, I think it must have been built for money laundering or such. There is nothing around it, miles from anywhere. Really weird

also, BOOK NOW, most of these places fill up fast and if you miss a place to stay, it can be a loooong ways to the next hut with a roof

I'm not much help...but wish you the best of times.

HWY 12 - Yes!!! :yahoo:

Edit: I will add that we stayed in the ABV in Tropic, UT. I can recommend that place, even though they have a gravel parking lot. The room was good, and the restaurant 2 doors down and owned by the innkeeper has great food and drinks as well. When we were there it was "high german season" so at every other table Deutsch was gesprechen. Good local draft beer.

https://kachinalodge.com/ Mademoiselle Tyler, Every SW-FOG participant heartily recommends the Best Western Kachina Lodge in Taos, New Mexico. Friendly and helpful staff, great food and an excellent location in downtown Taos amidst the art shops, Native American stores and the many bars/restaurants. 1-800-522-4462.

Since I will be travel a similar area in September (headed to conference in Santa Fe and not in time for SWFOG), I definitely will be checking in to see what other suggest. Thanks for starting the thread Tyler.

Good Morning Miss Tyler, Looking at your schedule and your routing, Seth and I'll meet your group on Tuesday 10/11 at Mexican Hat, UT. Stay with your team through Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks; and The Stanley Boys will shove off for home on Friday 10/14. We'll stay where you stay; just let us know the hotels.

Good Morning Miss Tyler, Looking at your schedule and your routing, Seth and I'll meet your group on Tuesday 10/11 at Mexican Hat, UT. Stay with your team through Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks; and The Stanley Boys will shove off for home on Friday 10/14. We'll stay where you stay; just let us know the hotels.
I look forward to sharing some (s)miles with you both, Don! I sent an email with lodging info so let me know if you didn't get it. B)

I look forward to sharing some (s)miles with you both, Don! I sent an email with lodging info so let me know if you didn't get it. B)
Got it Ty, Thanks! Seth and his Daddy Don are booking Mexican Hat and Torrey, Utah; and holding off on Zion until we hear from you again! Thanks for organizing this!