NGK-CR8EK plugs after 12,000 miles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
I have been using NGK CR8EK plugs in motocross for about two years. The dual electrode configuration gives improved starting and the plug has been a very positive influence on race wins for me. So I decided to try the same plug in my FJR and changed to them at 8,000 miles. Just did the 20,000 mile service and decided to take some pics of the plugs removed.

Enjoy!

BTW, I special order these plugs from Advance Auto. They don't know they can get them, but they can. And it's a lot cheaper there.

p0001196.jpg

p0001197.jpg

So these are copper core plugs? Are they better than the single electrode iridium plugs?

Jeff, Did you notice any kind of performance difference, in your FJR, when you switched to these plugs? Did you replace them with the same plug?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff, Did you notice any kind of performance difference, in your FJR, when you switched to these plugs? Did you replace them with the same plug?
The differences between straight/stock CR8E and the CR8EK were subtle.

* Slightly better gas mileage of about 1-2 mpg.

* More torque in short, fast bursts with the throttle WFO. The bike definitely began pulling the front wheel airborne at an earlier throttle setting.

* Most noticeable has been the lack of any noticeable decline in performance over the last 12,000 miles. Unlike the CR8E which was sometimes a bit slow to start and getting progressively more "unpredictable" toward the end of their 8,000 mile life.

I replaced with CR8EK again. This time I plan to go 20,000 before the change since these last plugs looked extremely good and showed no signs of physical or performance degradation at 12,000.

The CR8EK is a definite :thumbsup: in my book.

So these are copper core plugs? Are they better than the single electrode iridium plugs?
I can't speak to any comparison between these and the iridiums, sorry!

I know the CR8EK is way cheaper, and for me hits that all-too-evasive price/performance mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, they look perfect, and at 12,000 miles, look like they were ready for more. Nice pics; thanks for sharing that alternative.

Dangit Jeff, your plugs looked so impressive, I had to go out and put them in mine today. I found them at Napa for $7.49 each, to my surprise. My AutoZone did not even carry ANY NGK nor did they have any crossreference in their computers!. Now to see how they perform, so far pretty perky.

Thanks for the for the super post and bid everyone the Merriest of Christmas' and may 2007 bring us Peace and Abundance.

Okay, just because it's Christmas Eve and I'm feeling especially merry...

I dug up a receipt for the plugs.

Advance Auto Parts

Item#: 3478

SKU# (I think): 19650324

Price: $5.94 each

Go during the day, like lunch time, when there's someone in the store who can actually use their computer system. They never have them in stock, but it never takes more than two days to get them.

Merry Christmas and happy sparking to all my FJR compadres.

Jeff

I dug up a receipt for the plugs.Advance Auto Parts

Go during the day, like lunch time, when there's someone in the store who can actually use their computer system. They never have them in stock, but it never takes more than two days to get them.
Thanks Jeff! I will keep this in mind for the next time. I always get Advanced mixed up with AutoZone...next time I will know better and for a better price. I cant wait to see how these plugs perform...by the look of them and yours, one cant lose1

Happy New Year to All!

QUOTE(650cent @ Dec 24 2006, 11:38 AM) So, how do you gap these plugs? Or maybe you don't need to.

Bill

Just screw them in. No gapping required.
Negative, you always need to have the correct gap. Just in this case there are two instead of one. OTOH, plugs often will work fine out of the box and with two prongs instead of one you might be increasing the odds that one of them is the correct gap but you should still take the time to check the gap.

I dug up a receipt for the plugs.Advance Auto Parts

Thanks Jeff! I will keep this in mind for the next time. I always get Advanced mixed up with AutoZone...next time I will know better and for a better price. I cant wait to see how these plugs perform...by the look of them and yours, one cant lose1

Happy New Year to All!
I picked up 10 of 'em off E-bay for the whopping price of $18.00 delivered to my door. :D

Just ordered some from the local O'Reily's Auto Parts. $5.49 each. Be in Wednesday.

I pulled and inspected my factory plugs today with 12K on them. They looked like new! No visible wear on the center electrode. Also, because I am running the PCII I wanted to get a read on them to see how the mixture was. The plugs looked ideal. Light gray on the center and light tan on the outer ring.

I don't understand the factory call out for new plugs every 8K miles. With electronic ignition they should last way longer than that. These guys are staying for another season.

One tip though. The plug wires are hard to pull off as the rubber sticks to the porcelon on the plugs. I put a lite coat of silicone grease on the inside of the rubber boot with a Q Tip so they will come off easier and not stress the wires trying to pull on them.

just my 1.5 cents on it.

I read in the article about a year ago that different plugs run at a different temps and pass different temp to the engine walls. They also said that when manufacture decides on the plug it matches the proper plug with the temp in mind.

So, how do we know that these plugs run and produce the same temps?