Metzeler Z6 sets personal record

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
OEM Metzeler Z6 on my 2007. No wonder it didn't handle like the POS Z4s that were on my 05.

2,341 miles and the rear had exposed steel belts in the middle. Wear bars not yet reached in any of the tread grooves.

Looks like the Diablo Strada is not the only tire with the deceptive tread life pattern.

OEM Metzeler Z6 on my 2007. No wonder it didn't handle like the POS Z4s that were on my 05.2,341 miles and the rear had exposed steel belts in the middle. Wear bars not yet reached in any of the tread grooves.

Looks like the Diablo Strada is not the only tire with the deceptive tread life pattern.
I don't understand this, based solely on my experience with the Metz OEM's on my 2006. I got about 7500 miles with some threads showing, and I don't think I baby the bike..... It puzzles me how inconsistent the experiences peeps have had of the Metzeler Z4 and Z6.

I moved over to the Avon Storms, not so much that I disliked the Z6 tires, but because Avon seems to have had consistent praise overall from multiple sources (except for the shimmy in front for some with the previous iteration of ST tire).

I wonder if it is a matter of quality control versus design flaws at Metzeler. If it was an inherently poor design, you would expect consistently poor reports.

I guess this will end up in never-ending pointless threads shortly.

One too many burnouts, perhaps? But seriously, I've never got that few miles out of any tires. Any other info about typical road conditions and/or riding style would be appreciated.

David

The problem would appear to be your POS riding style.

May be time to start riding solid fuel rockets instead.

You may be a good candidate for a future Darwin Award.

I can assure you that the "problem" is entirely in Jeff's right hand, and has nothing to do with manufacturing variance....

:rolleyes: :clapping:

I can assure you that the "problem" is entirely in Jeff's right hand, and has nothing to do with manufacturing variance....
:rolleyes: :clapping:
My dirt-bike buddy says he gets about ten hours out of a rear tire with that same problem.

OEM Metzeler Z6 on my 2007. No wonder it didn't handle like the POS Z4s that were on my 05.2,341 miles and the rear had exposed steel belts in the middle. Wear bars not yet reached in any of the tread grooves.

I just swapped out my stock OEM Metzeler Z6 with 10,800 miles. Still tread left but cupping baddly, both front and rear.

Hence the haulinashe constant. I just take his mileage and multiply by 2.5 ;) , adjust according to your own riding style. I enjoy reading about jeff's tire experiences, mostly because he can fully a test 3-4 sets of tires to my one.

Changed out my Z6's at 7,500 miles with rubber to spare. My buddy saw them and put them on his bike for another 3K and still no bald spots. Almost though. Cooler New England temps???

I feel your pain Jeff. 2700 miles out of the OEM Z6's on my 06. Currently on Stradas and getting better results. I liked the stick on the Metz's and love the Stradas. I've just accepted the fact that I will be changing a lot of tires on the Feej. Heavy bike and a twitchy right hand.

I think you will find a combination of

Quality control of compound mix ( ie too soft on some too hard on others )

Thottle control or abuse

Road surface

Temperature ( higher temp faster wear )

time travelling ( short 10-15 minute trips =little wear, 2 plus hours in the sadlle more wear )

Wet weather riding tires run cool and do not wear as fast

Load

Breaking ,last minute heavy breaking will reduce tire life( and contribute to cupping of front tire)

all have an affect on tire life.

One too many burnouts, perhaps? But seriously, I've never got that few miles out of any tires. Any other info about typical road conditions and/or riding style would be appreciated.
I absolutely NEVER burn out.

#1 Contributor to short tire life for me, is road conditions. The roads around here are almost all the tar/gravel surface. Very little true asphalt. It's really not just me but more a mixture of Z-Rated rubber and the local roads.

However, that does not negate my ability to compare one tire against another, which is the point of this thread.

The problem would appear to be your POS riding style.May be time to start riding solid fuel rockets instead.

You may be a good candidate for a future Darwin Award.
I feel the love!

What pressures were you running?
38 psi Front, 40 psi Rear

I would seriously consider running H-Rated rubber around here. HD guys all do and they get about 10k from a rear. The prob is that H-Rated rubber would seriously cut into my fun, especially when I travel to the mountains for weekend rides.

I'm definitely not as smooth (yet) on the 07 as I was on the 05. But getting there. The stock ergos of the 07 have definitely contributed to the short tire life.

Just trying to share the comparison since I am in a minority group that's surrounded by 40-grit roads. It's a bit like living in an accelerated tire testing ground. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pfffft. Tires shmires. The shortened life may have a little something to do with the new girlfriend you're totin' around. How much did you say she weighed, again?

Scab, She doesn't even qualify as "a few extra pounds". Maybe she will be good for the right wrist and maybe THAT will help the tire life???

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:assassin: :assassin: :assassin:

unbelievable!!! I've got an 06 with 3000 on her and I gotta believe that there is probably another 3 or 4 left... I don't ride easy or like a chick, ask my buddies but less than 3000 miles is certainly some kind of a record. You sure that someone didn't put a set that were already half-used on that new black cherry girl?

I'm gonna do the the storms too when the time comes but the Z6's have been great IMHO!!!

jeff, WTF, over?

Remember, shiny parts up!

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

:assassin: :assassin: :assassin:

unbelievable!!! I've got an 06 with 3000 on her and I gotta believe that there is probably another 3 or 4 left... I don't ride easy or like a chick, ask my buddies but less than 3000 miles is certainly some kind of a record. You sure that someone didn't put a set that were already half-used on that new black cherry girl?

I'm gonna do the the storms too when the time comes but the Z6's have been great IMHO!!!

jeff, WTF, over?

Remember, shiny parts up!

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Jeff are you possibly forgetting the "smooth" part in application of the throttle & brake?....I've found that the term "smooth" has a very big effect on any type of tire wear & longevity.....just a thought.... :huh: .....na forget it, I like your constant (ly short) tire tests :D ......

The 40 grit :lol: roads there are extremely fun, But shred tires... Small price to pay for excellent riding, IMO

Arkansas has the same type of roads. FUN! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator: