Touring Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AIRHEAD#124

Reaction score
Help!!!

I need advice. Picked up my 07 FJR 04/02/07 & my "rear Tire" is 1/2 gone with 2600mi: Stock Tires Bridgestone!

Looking for alot higher mileage.

I'm a Touring Rider, not so much a "Sport Rider" on the FJR> need tires to last more than Oil Changes (Gee!)

Good luck!

I have absolutely no suggestions. That is UNLESS, you can find the strict discipline to stay below 120 mph and always enter curves at/near suggested posted maximums. In which case you could consider running H-rated rubber. Good luck widat.

:)

Airhead,

I've had a good run with Mich. Pilot Roads. I got about 7k miles with 1k left before I changed the rear out at last month's service. The front still has about 50%. They run smooth and don't have the cupping characteristics of some of the other tires.

Some of the mileage issues depend on what side of the country you're on. The west, with chip seal and rough roads is hard on tires. Stick to concrete roads and watch your mileage increase. Of course the throttle hand has a little to do with it also.... :unsure:

--G

Michelin Pilot Road!!! Love them... I run most of my miles long and hard... 33500 in last 18 months or so... and those seem to be the best... I have about 8k on the back tire and run with saddle bags and trunk loaded... and average speed of 85 ish??? Sometimes 110 for sustained distance if in the right areas.. I would venture to say the back tire still has another 5 to 6 k to go... The front has about 15k on it now and I am not replacing it... Be sure you get the Mich Pilot ROAD.... the Mich Pilot is a different tire and you will say WTF were those guys thinking!

Hey Barry, the FJR makes more HP and will consume tires more quickly.. Having personal experience with Z6's, Diablo Stradas, and Michelin Pilot Roads, the Roads are, to date, my favorite ride. I think I'm 'heavier handed' than you, the Roads have lastest the longest. I have a set of Avon's ready to spoon on..

But, sorry, the FJR will eat any set more quickly than you like. I order my tires out of Tucson then use Chris Sidah's bitchen tire machine to spoon them on.. All Chris asks is a nice 12 pack of exotic beer... and you get to look at at bunch of neat machines he always has in the shop..

Airhead,

You might also want to check out Shinko's Raven 009 radials

st009_rear_200px.jpg

They're W rated and pretty acceptable if you're not a canyon raider. As a matter of fact I've used them on Alpine roads and they hold their own.

In comparison with tires of loftier lineage (BT021, PilotPower, Conti RoadAttack, Sportmax Qualifier, Viper etc.) Ravens are stiffer tires with a longer-lasting rubber mix, hence not as comfortable and sporty as the competition.

If a 'Stone is expected to last you 5,000 miles (my average is 3,500) you'll do almost double that with a Raven.

You can order them HERE for about $200 a set.

Stef

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of the Goldwings riders use car tires, Barrie. Maybe you can be the first to try an auto tire and report back to us? Should get at least 30-40K from one of those.

Take a look at Metzler 880s. Do a search for them on the forum. I have 11,000 on mine so far. :)
I'd like to agree with you about the Marathon 880s (they'd be the long distance choice) -- IF they were available in FJR rear size?? I've never found them -- where did you get yours?

Help!!!I need advice. Picked up my 07 FJR 04/02/07 & my "rear Tire" is 1/2 gone with 2600mi: Stock Tires Bridgestone!

Looking for alot higher mileage.

I'm a Touring Rider, not so much a "Sport Rider" on the FJR> need tires to last more than Oil Changes (Gee!)
Metzler Z6 have a long life, 8-10K if used mostly for LDRs at rational speeds!!

<snip>You might also want to check out Shinko's Raven 009 radials. They're W rated and pretty acceptable ..... I've used them on Alpine roads and they hold their own.

Stef
Thanks Stef; It's good to get rider reports on non-Name Brand tire makes. The dual-sport and dirt-bike guys talk alot about good results with Cheng Shin, Kenda, and Inoue -- and, some of those are even chosen for their high mileage characteristics.

I think?, Shinko are the old Yokohama and I'm not opposed to using them -- but, just don't want to be the first..... Also, would like to know more about IRC (Inoue).

Especially, in light of manufacturers that have specific 'code letter' models made for some bikes; and list only, say, 2 tires brands as acceptable options (FJR).

The whole "tire vaporization" thing is a nut that needs to be cracked, imo. As 'Airhead' put it so well: (paraphrase) "I'd like to get more miles out of my tires than my oil-change!"

(...) Shinko are the old Yokohama and I'm not opposed to using them -- but, just don't want to be the first..... (...)
CMF,

No way you can be first, seen as how I'm already running Ravens on my FJR :rolleyes: In fact, some of our Forum buddies have tried them in the past (Bananas, UnCaged and others). Check them out HERE

Stef

Take a look at Metzler 880s. Do a search for them on the forum. I have 11,000 on mine so far. :)
I'd like to agree with you about the Marathon 880s (they'd be the long distance choice) -- IF they were available in FJR rear size?? I've never found them -- where did you get yours?
170 60R17 as stated in another part of forum. Not exact but works :D fine. Seems speedometer was more accurate with different profile than 55.

(...) Shinko are the old Yokohama and I'm not opposed to using them -- but, just don't want to be the first..... (...)
CMF,

No way you can be first, seen as how I'm already running Ravens on my FJR :rolleyes: In fact, some of our Forum buddies have tried them in the past (Bananas, UnCaged and others). Check them out HERE

Stef
OK OK!! I think I have the ANS!! I know this will UPSET the SQUIDS!! But TOURING Tires that will fit the FJR are STOCK TIRES for rhe BMW K1200LT.

And YES I have a SPORT BIKE already; so the FJR will get my camping gear & will be TOURING this SUMMER!!! :yahoo:

170 60R17 as stated in another part of forum. Not exact but works :D fine. Seems speedometer was more accurate with different profile than 55.
I ran one rear tire and couldn't tell any different error with the speedometer. Actually I believe the GPS number is probably better anyway. I got 9,000 out of my ME 880 rear tire.

jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Been running the rear Shinko Raven for the last 20000 on my 05. Love it. Won't by a front though, don't care for the tread pattern. For under $100 for the rear, you can't touch the price. It's every bit as good in the twisties as the Avon Azaro's were, if not better. Last longer than the rear Azaro's did as well.

Been running the rear Shinko Raven for the last 20000 on my 05. Love it. Won't by a front though, don't care for the tread pattern. For under $100 for the rear, you can't touch the price. It's every bit as good in the twisties as the Avon Azaro's were, if not better. Last longer than the rear Azaro's did as well.
What mileage are you averaging on the rear? Is your aversion to the front just cosmetic or have you ran them?