Synthetic Oils

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thug

A shy retiring flower in a Thug's exterior
Reaction score
Hi Gang

I recently did an oil change and was advised to use this particular oil. The first thing I noticed was when changing gears it was much stiffer? My friend who uses the oil said yes that happened to him but after a while it will loosen up. The bike runs a bit cooler and everything else seems just fine. The Oil is a Castrol GPS 10w 50 semi synthetic. Anyone use it and is it normal to have your gear change going a little stiffer using such a product?

I assuming if there was an issue with the engine lubrication it would be noticeable in that increased engine noise and increased engine temps etc.

Thanks in advance

The "feel" of the shifting is noticably different from one oil to another. Synthetics seem to give a more mechanical feel. At least that is what I seem to feel anyway. I am running the Mobil 1 15-50 full synth. More expensive than the Rotella but by only a few dollars per gallon at Wallmart. Same feel as the Rotella if not a little smoother.

Hey Thug, I concur with CBX. Our trannies are notchy anyway so thats where you'd expect to notice it. I'd give it a couple thou and see. I have a question for ya CBX...Is that Mobile 1 the "gold cap" stuff ? I know most M1's contain friction modifiers and are not suitable for wet clutches. I'm running HondaHP4 semi w/out moly now but am tired of the dealer, I've had great experience with M1 in cars.

Thanks.

Bobby

I put in Yamalube 4R 10w50 and am pleased w/ the results and I believe that the bike runs cooler over the SAME routes that I have ridden with the 20w40 Yamalube and in approximately same ambient temp conditions.

Is that Mobile 1 the "gold cap" stuff ? I know most M1's contain friction modifiers and are not suitable for wet clutches.
Yeah, what Bobby said. I'd also be interested in trying a little thicker juice than the 5-40 Rotella synthetic. Which Mobil One cap color (or SAE cert) is M/C safe?

I use Mobil1 15w50, only one I know of, no 15w50 oil will be rated "energy efficient" due to it's viscosity, and as such will not have the friction modifiers, so clutch problems are not an issue.

Thug,

I've always used Shell VSX4 synthetic, but changed to Mobil 1 Racing 4T (their full synthetic 4-stroke motorcycle oil) & noticed the bike then ran a bit quieter.

They make a great synthetic gear oil for the shaft housing as well: Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil, 75w-90, GL five. Comes in a 1 litre container so you can get 5 changes out of it.

Cheers,

Nick

Thanks Outback I'll keep it in mind :D

Hows this for PR...Get a call from Castrol today because I sent them and email the other day with the same question I posed here. We talked for about 20 minutes and he had no real answers but would run it by his R&D dept and get back to me if there were any issues. Not bad eh? He believed it was just an initial running period and all should be fine shortly there after.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at the API "donut" on the oil container. If it says "Energy Conserving" in the lower part of the donut, it has friction modifiers.

In general, oils whose weights are on the thin side, 10W-30, 10W-20 and 5W-30 are energy conserving and should not be used in wet-clutch types of bikes. Oil’s whose weights are 10W-40, 15W-40, 15W-50, and 20W-50 are not energy-conserving and are OK for use in all motorcycles.

Because newer energy-conserving engine oils have been developed to reduce friction and increase mileage in automobiles they are not well suited for motorcycles having wet-clutches.

I also use Mobil 1 Gold cap 15w-50 and have been pleased so far, of course I don't run it for 15,000 miles like the Gold Cap viscosity is good for.

Hey Loveland,    What filter you using?

Aaron
Aaron;

For my 05 FJR I use Purolator, Pure One, PL14610, Micronic.

Micronic has the pretty BLUE to go with the Galaxy Blue :clap:

I avoid Fram and Pennzoil filters.

I like Purolator quality and Mobil 1 filters.

The PL14610 is for a Mazda or something but fits great on the FJR.

Hey, thanks Loveland. I am making the switch next oil change. I've always run the synthetics in my vehicles, time to do it on the bike. I just hit 2700 miles on it today. I have an 05 also. I met another 05 pilot in Julian CA today, and saw two 04's parked up there too. Lots of FJR's out today, the most I've ever seen together.

Hey, thanks Loveland. I am making the switch next oil change. I've always run the synthetics in my vehicles, time to do it on the bike. I just hit 2700 miles on it today. I have an 05 also. I met another 05 pilot in Julian CA today, and saw two 04's parked up there too. Lots of FJR's out today, the most I've ever seen together.
I was over in Europe last month and seen lots of FJR's over there. I just see one every once in awhile here in Colorado.

Awesome.........did a get to ride one of those euro bikes while over there? I'm jealous they get all the extras. I'd really like another gear.

The Oil is a Castrol GPS 10w 50 semi synthetic
Thug,

That's the oil Castrol here recommends for the Fjr. It's supposed to be the

bee's knees :agent:

I'm pretty happy with it, except for the extortionate price (€13.50/liter).

Stef

Latest posts