Storm Love Story

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
I am finding that for me, the Avon Storms are possibly the best tire I have ever mounted on any bike.

Just last night, I mounted up a fresh set of Storms (even though I had just done this 2 weeks before). I had approximately 6000 miles on the first set of Storms, and the rear still had a good 800-ish miles remaining. (I depart for another 3000-mile run tonight after sundown, so I had to mount new Storms before departing).

After running them for several months now, here are a few observations on the new Avon Storms:

- the tread pattern is measurably different from the Azaros; the classic low-speed "walking" sensation the Azaros afforded are a thing of the past.

- I didn't think Avon could improve much on the dry grip of the Azaros... but they did! The Storms are beyond awesome in grip and feedback.

- Still haven't found any rain to ride these Storms through yet, but I suspect the wet grip is at least as good as the Azaros, which was already outstanding.

- FRONT TIRE: now, here, I was a little surprised.... this is the first time I ever recall a front tire wearing in an absolutely, positively *even* rate. When I dismounted that front Storm with 6000 miles on it, the tire profile was as perfect as the new Storm I was about to mount. Not a hint of any scalloping, cupping, uneven wear, etc. And the tread was barely halfway to the wear indicators. Amazing.

- BALANCING: in the a number of folks have complained over the amount of weight it sometimes took to balance the Azaros (rears, in particular). I found these Storms (both sets, so far) to be pretty damned balanced right off the shelf. The first set took 5g and 15g (front & rear, respectively); the second set took 10g and 10g (front & rear, respectively). I don't think one can argue all that much against these numbers.

All the above having been said.... this doesn't mean you'll necessarily experience all the same things with these new Avons, because these were my observations under my riding conditions, my riding style, my bike set-up, etc, etc.

But it is another data point to consider.... B)

I am finding that for me, the Avon Storms are possibly the best tire I have ever mounted on any bike.(snip)
I'm glad you like the Storms. Does this experience come from your FJR or are you talking about your Blackbird?

For me, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks so far. I don't put nearly as many miles on as you do and I only have about 3k miles on the Storms to date. If I can get 6K or more out of a rear Storm on the FJR I'll buy them again.

I'm glad you like the Storms. Does this experience come from your FJR or are you talking about your Blackbird?

cbr1100xx_ka-6d.jpg

LtRearQtr.jpg

Wow, nice luggage.

How do you get your rain gear, or heated gear out of those little openings? :)

On a serious note, how much fuel are you carrying there? :eek:

The electrically-pumped side tanks are 5.2 gallons. Each. B)

The gravity-feed pillion aux cell is 4.9 gallons.

The stock tank is 6.3 gallons.

Thus..... 21.6 gallons of onboard fuel.

Good for about 525 miles per fillup, running at Nevada rally speeds. Good for a lot more, if running in conservative mode.

Good for about 525 miles per fillup, running at Nevada rally speeds. Good for a lot more, if running in conservative mode.

holy crap!!... :blink:

sounds like someone is getting ready for ahh... one of them...... ahhh.... furniture runs stores made with knotty White Pine? ;)

RE: Your comments on the Storms...

Dat's what I keep saying! I love these tires despite the lower, fantasized 'longer life' claim. The front tire wear is amazing, too. My front with 5k is wearing perfectly even across the tread. Rear has just a minor, broad flattening and is past the wear bars. I'm gonna cord it to see how many miles beyond the WB's she's got... for skooter's sake. ;)

*Choke!* Er, @ tree-fiddy a gallon, that's, [SIZE=8pt]um, carry the 1, divide by gnats nuts[/SIZE], $75.60 per fill or .143 cents per mile! :eek:mg: Jebus, those rallies better start handing out checks to the weeners! :unsure:

*Choke!* Er, @ tree-fiddy a gallon, that's, [SIZE=8pt]um, carry the 1, divide by gnats nuts[/SIZE], $75.60 per fill or .143 cents per mile! :eek:mg: Jebus, those rallies better start handing out checks to the weeners! :unsure:
Gasp! Is it really up to tree-fiddy for petrol in Cali?!? Holy crap the Cal 24's gonna be an expensive ride next weekend! :waaa: :uhoh:

Last edited by a moderator:
*Choke!* Er, @ tree-fiddy a gallon, that's, [SIZE=8pt]um, carry the 1, divide by gnats nuts[/SIZE], $75.60 per fill
Demoralizing, when analyzed that way. :unsure:

I like this different perspective: in a typical rally like the Cal 24, with this set up, you're likely to have to stop for gas once. ;)

But, of course, most "typical" rallies subscribe to that IBA rule of only 11.5 gallons, max.

Those of you who are attending the Utah 1088 this year, you will see this CBR1100XX on the Start Line. Although I will have to disable the 10.4 gallon side cells to participate in the event.... the Utah 1088 follows the 11.5 gallon rule also. So I'll just be running the pillion cell, keeping me at 11.2 gallons.

I'd bet that back east in White Lightning country the ATF folks would be looking at you with great suspicion!

jim

I sent an email to the Avon factory to ask why so many people are having difficulties with the new

Storms, and what they intend to do about it.

Their response was, the internet does not protray the many happy owners only the unhappy ones. OK, Point taken.

But more importantly, he stated they have recently closed up their accept/reject tolerances on the Storms as to balance and out of round.

Sounds like that initiative may be paying off.

Gasp! Is it really up to tree-fiddy for petrol in Cali?!? Holy crap the Cal 24's gonna be an expensive ride next weekend! :waaa: :uhoh:
Yep. $3.35 - $3.60 is very typical. Watch it if you find yourself on the PCH between SLO and Monterey, where you can expect to pay as much as $5.00/Gal. Ditto 395 up around Lee Vining. I bet it's close to $4.00/gal up there.

Demoralizing, when analyzed that way. :unsure:
Welp, I guess my work here is done. :lol:

J/K, Actually, the only reason I made mention of that is I'm currently trying to come up with a palatable fuel surcharge with which to whack my clients. I've floated the balloon to a few and they seem not to be bothered by the new charge. Go figger.

Dang Dale,

With a setup like that, your only fluid management issues will be stopping often enough to keep from getting a bladder infection... might be time to consider catheterization... :rolleyes:

Jeezus! You must be the guy who's leaving all the "trucker bombs" along the highway. :waaa:

W.C.,

No wonder your front tire profile is unchanged! :huh: Does it touch the ground very often? :eek:

:lol2: