Metzeler Z6 Wear Bars

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRDriver

Reaction score
I have noticed in a couple of threads that there is some confusion/lack of info about how to locate the wear bars on the Z6. So, as a public service, let's put the question to rest.

I believe that the DOT requires that ALL tires sold in the US have wear bar indicators, but they do not require that they be in an obvious place. Most manufacturers put their 'TWI' (tread wear indicator) stamp on the SIDEWALL of the tire. Enter Metzeler, in it's infinite wisdom, to find the last place that most would look. They put their 'TWI' indicator on the edge of the TREAD not the sidewall.

I hope the pictures will help.

FRONT TIRE 'TWI'

PICT0005.jpg

REAR TIRE 'TWI' A LITTLE OUT OF FOCUS

PICT0003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just put a set of Z6's on my 05. Here I thought emblem was a Chicken and the lines were chicken strip indicators. Guess I was wrong, now I will know where to look for the wear bars.

My Z6s wear indicators were the cords starting to show through the rubber. <_<

B)

"May you wear out the sides before you wear out the middle"

For those of us that don't commute to work on rt129, that is a rarity

...I had z6's and my wear bars were cords as well. No big deal really unless you are several hundred miles from home.

I am running Stradas now, and expect to see a cord before they are replaced.

The issue many of us have had with the Z6 is the lack of wear bars in the middle of the tire. As fhaze mentioned the cord (at times) is the indication the tire is shot. In my case the rear tire still "looked" like it had some to go (maybe 500 miles) until the wear bars would have been flush...But had I ridden another 100 miles, I too would have been on cords.

IMO there should be more a accurate indication of rubber depth at the end of the tires life.

--G

I still don't get it! I see the letters TWI, but what is the actual indicator???? When the elephant gets wore off??? I don't ride on the sides! Are there an indicator in the center of the tire????? :blink: :dribble: :dribble:

If these tires are like the Stradas there are actually three wear bars at each TWI location. One of the three bars is 11/16" from the tire centerline. Another bar is 1-1/16" from the C/L. The last bar is 1-5/8" from the C/L.

There are three TWI locations around each side of the tire.

If these tires are like the Stradas there are actually three wear bars at each TWI location. One of the three bars is 11/16" from the tire centerline. Another bar is 1-1/16" from the C/L. The last bar is 1-5/8" from the C/L.
There are three TWI locations around each side of the tire.
Same on BT020 and Storms. BT has a triangle and is in the sidewall but the Storm is exactly like the Z6, on the edge of the actual traction surface.

I thought the rubber "tits" from molding were the wear bars, when those are gone the tire should be changed to insure no tire failure as has been shown many times - LOL . Glad to get them off my bike . . .