Green star oil?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobQ

Reaction score
I was looking for some oil posts, could not find anything about the "green star"? Are we supposed to not use that?

Thanks

I was looking for some oil posts, could not find anything about the "green star"? Are we supposed to not use that?
Thanks
This is just a guess, but maybe the "green star" is the ILSAC starburst. It is on most oils for new cars and to make a long story short has components that are good for new cars and bad for bikes. The starburst looks black to me, but I'm partially color blind.

WARNING....oil threads could cause flaming..... :eek: .....

Last edited by a moderator:
:stop: :aggressive: :argue: :fuk: :black eye: :bye2: Why???

Odot it's your turn for the popcorn :blink: I'd like cheeze this time :D

:jester:

"Did you get my cheese whiz, boy?" Sorry, kids....only have anchovi flavored corn this time around. The good stuff was wasted on yamma jamma's tryst with nutters.

"Did you get my cheese whiz, boy?" Sorry, kids....only have anchovi flavored corn this time around. The good stuff was wasted on yamma jamma's tryst with nutters.
Anchovi???? :blink: Don't know... Ain't gonna ask :rolleyes:

:jester:

The doughtnut and starburst logos that indicate "energy efficient" and should be avoided for use with wet clutches.

donut10w30.gif

The doughnut is explicit in its wording

apisymbol.gif

The starburst indicates energy efficient simply by being on the label

From: https://www.finalube.com/reference_material/API_Engine_Oil_Classifications.htm

API Engine Oil Classifications

The American Petroleum Institute (API) has established a classification system for the designation of gasoline and diesel engine oils, which reflects the quality, performance, and suitability of the oils for various engines. These classifications, or categories as sometimes referred, have no bearing on oil viscosity, whose limits are set by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and designated in SAE J300. Contrary to the belief of many, the SAE grade only defines oil viscosity and has absolutely nothing to do with oil quality. To specify engine oil, both the API service designation and the SAE viscosity grade are required.

In the United States, API also administers the licensing and certification of engine oils through a classification system that reflects the warranty, maintenance and lubrication requirements of the automotive industry. Through this system, API has standardized the labeling of engine oils by adopting the "donut” logo, (see Figure 1) which tells the user the oil's viscosity grade, engine service classification and any energy conserving capabilities.

The energy conserving capabilities were established in 1994. The products are currently restricted to multigrades of 20 and 30 weight motor oils (typically 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30). The energy conserving grades will show both the starburst (see Figure 2) on the front label and the API donut showing energy conserving on the back label. Energy conserving grades of SM motor oil meet API GF-4 requirements.

The engine and vehicle manufacturers and technical societies establish engine oil performance requirements, test methods and limits for the various classifications.

FIGURE 1

API SM licensed PCMO

“donut “ with GF-4 energy conservation mark

FIGURE 2

API “starburst” symbol indicating fuel economy and

energy conserving

FIGURE 3

API CI-4 Plus/SL "donut"

for diesel engine oil

These classifications are arranged into two different groups, one for automotive gasoline engine service and the other for commercial diesel engine service. The former is listed in "S" or "Service" categories (presently SA through SM) and the later is listed in "C" or "Commercial" categories (presently CA through CJ-4).

Typically the automotive category will only show the “S” service category in the donut (see Figure 1) while the “C” category will have the C category followed by the S service category. Hence a donut for a diesel engine oil meeting both API CI-4 Plus (diesel) and API SM (gasoline) is shown in Figure 3.

Note: The information contained herein represents typical product characteristics and is subject to change based upon product research and improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks

If you are talking about Green Star Oil products, the company has a website www.greenstarusa.com

There is a lot of information there.