Avon Storms mileage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddawg46

Reaction score
Has anyone put enough miles on the new Storms to tell if they wear like the old Azaros? I am just about down to the weqar bars, and I wanted to try those new Avon Storms. Rain is not an issue for me, so the grip and mileage are the only issues i'm concerned about.

Off to NEPRT :(

While I can't compare them to the Azaros's I have about 4k on mine and they are well past the wear bars. I'm estimating I will only get about 6k from the storms which isn't what I had in mind when I bought them.

Others think they are the shit, stickey as hell, that hasn't been my experience.

Others love them in the wet too, I find them acceptible when it's good and wet, but in that slippery in between 'rain and a a drizzle' when things are the most slippery, I really don't like em.

Painted lines, and tar snakes are very (too) slippery in MHO.

I'm going to try something else next, prolly PR's.

When I get back from another BBG3K on Sunday, I'll be mounting up my third set of Storms in the past 4 weeks.

I am finding I get a bit more mileage out of a rear Storm than I did out of a rear Azaro. Not massively so, but a bit more nonetheless....... I seem to be averaging a good 7000 miles on a rear Storm; usually got around 6500-ish out of a rear Azaro.

Just another data point in another NEPRT thread.... :lol:

(snip)Painted lines, and tar snakes are very (too) slippery in MHO.
I find the Storm to be a little disconcerting on a fresh, shiny tar snake, but about the same as Azaro's once the tar snakes get that dull look to them.

Nope, no mileage gain here. In fact, the rear is good for about 5,500 miles whereas the Azaro gave me a 6,500 mile life at best. The front will equal the Azaro, but a much more even wear rate. This tire is not showing any triangling or cupping or nuttin'. Just nice even wear.

I am finding I get a bit more mileage out of a rear Storm than I did out of a rear Azaro.
On a Blackbird, yeah? Sounds like we're comparing peas to carrots.

From what I've heard, Storms don't last as long as Azaros on the FJR. We won't know for sure until Skooter speaks up after wearing down a set.

I'm a new FJR pilot ('06) and just ripped through my rear Storm (AV56) in 4613 miles. I'm still dialing in this bike, but find the Storm plenty sticky on a dry surface, slippy on the tar and paint lines (but not unacceptable). I find the wet grip decent provided your not sagging your rear shock. I'm guessing I'll put another AV56 on the rear and try something else in 5Kmiles.

Nik

I'm right on 3K miles and am on or into the center wear bars on the rear. I'm guessing 500 miles to the chords and will know for sure this weekend. No burn outs, just riding primarily 2 lane asphalt that has a high degree of chip & seal, tar and patch, or whatever you call it in your area where they make the road look like a quilt of dark and light rectangles. Loved the Azaros on my Sprint, but these guys just did not live up to the hype. Shinko Ravens are on the No-Mar. They have grooves that look like the Grand Canyon.

Shinko Ravens are on the No-Mar. They have grooves that look like the Grand Canyon.

Are you going to be running these two-up and fully loaded at all? I'd be interested in seeing those results on the Shinkos.
Not 2 up. Wife has only gone once with me and in the summer I ride mostly with bags off and lightly loaded.

I am also watching curiously for info on the Shinko Ravens. Thinking that they may just be worth a try for $155.00+- a set if the mileage adds up to a hill o' beans & the traction is reasonable. For sure, I won't be putting Avons back on my bike... & especially the front Avon. Avon has lost a loyal customer.

This is a more detailed description of the final days of my Storms. At 2891 miles I was in or at the wear bars of my rear Storm. That was right in the middle. I am now at 3256 and I still have grooving showing but they are too shallow to measure. Those big deep grooves that go side to side are still well defined. I must give the Storm credit, on the depth I had with 2891, a Z6 or Strada would been in the chords by 3256 and if things continue like this I may not see chord by 3500 but I know that the groves will be gone by then. There are other unusual things going on too. There is feather of the big grooves between the center and edge reminiscent of cupping on a front tire. The shape of the tire isn't bad either. No significant squaring just a rounding to maybe more oval than it was when new. They still hold well. RFulcher noticed that I do have some unusual things at the edges. I'm well down into the Storm labels but have a sixteenth inch of chicken stripe on the left but a bid more on the right and the right looks like a scallop which is totally weird. I'm kind of curious now so my intent is to ride until chord show; however, if a 400+ mile day shows up they are outa there.

I was at the wear bars at 5K. Now, at 6.2K, I have a visual on the shape of the cords, but all of the rubber has yet to wear off. Mind you, the last 1.2K miles have been wussy, broken rib recovery type miles. If I had to guess, I'd say I woulda hit cord by 5.5K under my normal riding style.

I too hit the wear bars at 5k on the rear Storm. I used it for normal riding, a good mix of mountain roads and some slab and a little bit of gravel roads. The Azaro gave be at least another k before it reached this point under similar circumstances. The front Storm, OTOH seems to be wearing evenly and will probably outlast the life of a front Azaro because the Azaro would be badly cupped. I still have a new Azaro rear in the garage and I plan to spoon it on just before I leave for WFO. I'm hoping to get at least 7k out of it to get me home.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I get back from another BBG3K on Sunday, I'll be mounting up my third set of Storms in the past 4 weeks.
I am finding I get a bit more mileage out of a rear Storm than I did out of a rear Azaro. Not massively so, but a bit more nonetheless....... I seem to be averaging a good 7000 miles on a rear Storm; usually got around 6500-ish out of a rear Azaro.

Just another data point in another NEPRT thread.... :lol:
2,800 and toast. But I don't freakin care. Best tires I've run on the fjr.. (z6, strada, pr don't compare.. love the ability to twist tighter, mid turn, and the light feel for initial run-in). Sure, others may wear longer.. but if you ain't having fun.. then why run? :p

2,800 and toast. But I don't freakin care. Best tires I've run on the fjr.. (z6, strada, pr don't compare.. love the ability to twist tighter, mid turn, and the light feel for initial run-in). Sure, others may wear longer.. but if you ain't having fun.. then why run? :p
I totally understand that rationale in a sport bike, but I'm getting truly pissed at having to plan trips around tires. I have to sandwich my trips around weekends to save vacation days. Finding places to change a tire on a weekend anywhere in the Appalachians is pretty much impossible (actually I think that is the case just about anywhere). That's why I'm looking to having a set of tires for long trips sitting by my tire machine just for those occasions, but that still doesn't mean the situation is totally acceptable. As far as the Avon's performance goes, they may be the tires you like but my stock BT020's held a line much better than the Storms and stuck pretty much as well too (I am NOT a Bridgestone fan by a long shot either).

Just something to think about. Have you ever noticed on all bikes to include the FJR, riders from N.Ca and the Pacific NW seem to get WAYYYYY more miles than anywhere else in the states????

"Have you ever noticed on all bikes to include the FJR, riders from N.Ca and the Pacific NW seem to get WAYYYYY more miles than anywhere else in the states????"

I live in Houston and just got 12,100 miles on a rear Avon ST 45 and had about that on the last one. Just put on a new Storm on the back and going on a long ride this weekend so we will see how it works out.

BTW - since the roads are smooth, table-top flat and straight as an arrow on the coastal plain here, as expected, I had a wiiiiide flat section in the center of the tire.

A number of my riding buds on BMWs are reporting 10% - 20% better mileage out of the Storms vs. the numerous sets of Avaros they ran through. Both RTs and GTs having similar luck. All I know is my Storms are WAY out performing my Z6s (which I liked well enough) in every category, especially wear. I've got 3k on mine and they still look very good. No were near the wear bars.

"Have you ever noticed on all bikes to include the FJR, riders from N.Ca and the Pacific NW seem to get WAYYYYY more miles than anywhere else in the states????"

I live in Houston and just got 12,100 miles on a rear Avon ST 45 and had about that on the last one. Just put on a new Storm on the back and going on a long ride this weekend so we will see how it works out.

BTW - since the roads are smooth, table-top flat and straight as an arrow on the coastal plain here, as expected, I had a wiiiiide flat section in the center of the tire.
So true! Riding here in the north central and coastal regions of Texas,Louisiana and Mississippi is almost all interstate full of speed traps,tailgaters with hazards like half asleep cagers,truck bed trash and "gator" traps.My experience has been like FJRMGM with my tires lasting longer than expected wearing more like car tires.About the only twistie I experience is the U-turn to go back to the Dairy Queen I passed.Still on the PR's with 4k and counting.This year has been especially different with weather more like the Northwest than typical Texas summer.Lots of rain.I appreciate this thread.Have been considering Avons.