The New Pilot Power 2CT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdogman

Bad Boy
Reaction score
When I was in Cali visiting and being a general no account I had tire failure. Andrew (Ovale) was kind enough to make a ride in appointment at Yammi of Roseville, CA (BTW These folks are great!!)

I had them put the new Pilot Power 2CT on the bike as it was billed as the best of both worlds (I was thinking PRoads and PPowers)

I Said, "So it is like the PRoads in the middle and the PPowers on the edges" He said "Yes"

After riding the tire for what is now approximately 3200 Miles or so, I am due for new rubber. I will squezz another 1k from them since I have to (got to ride back from montana next weekend)

What I learned is.

1. It is like the PPowers in the center, not the PRoads

2. The edges are closer to the PRace tire @@ 20% softer that the PPower standard (forget what they call that one and not gonna go look it up)

3. It is sticky as hell. I loved it!!

4. They dont last long at all, Bout like a PPower should I guess

5. The PPower 2ct is total overkill for me

6. I have ordered a standard PPower for a rear replacement. My front is still pretty good

7. I have ordered the stuff to change my own tires too, This shit ads up in a hurry!!

I LOVE the Powers (as you should expect) and I will justify the cost by saving money on changing them myself. The PPower costs about the same as a Road, Just dont last as long.

Now, In all reality, I probably dont need the powers, I doubt I am that fast and supacool, the roads would probably work fine. But hey, I dont need!! an FJR either, I have a truck I can drive, or a scooter that I can buy for 25% of the cost and get better MPG. So for now, PPowers for me and gonna skip the 2CT part

Anyway, for those that wanted me to tell them how the tire did. It did great, :rolleyes: just wears out REALLY fast :glare:

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't even know those were available yet...

I loved the powers too, that's what I had before the storms, buy I think I only got about 2800 miles out of them.

I find the storms to be great too! I do think the powers were a bit sticker, but all and all the storms seem like a nice balance between milage and stickyness.

There may be nothing to it, but with the powers on, I felt like the bike was inseperable from the road. I would throw it into corners like I was riding a 600.

With the storms I notice that a little less, but the fact that I crashed on gravel with the storms may have a huge part to do with confidence.

I loved the original Powers as well (on my R1), so when the 2CT came out, I thought I'd give them a shot.

Surprisingly.... I don't like them at all on my R1! :unsure:

I am finding it a little too un-nerving when I transition from the harder center to the softer sides.... never, EVER thought I would be able to detect/notice the change in grip (and probably wouldn't on the big FJR), but notice it I do on the feather-weight R1, and it makes for some unsettling times if the road is particularly hairy-twisty.

For example, last Sunday, I took the R1 to the Spiral Highway just north of Clarkston, Washington. As you can see in this link, the Spiral Highway is brutally twisty, climbing 1.500 feet in just a few miles. Riding this road on my Dunlop Qualifiers last year, I was laying the R1 over heavily with great confidence. Not so with the 2CT Powers, which was as surprising to me as it was disappointing.....

Back to single compound Powers for me..... on the R1 only. I personally don't think the Powers are a good idea (for me) on the FJR. Such a soft tire on a big, heavy road machine with this much torque will not last diddley-squat in my riding environment....
shrug.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to try many tires now that I will have the stuff to mount them myself. The storm seem to be pretty popular here abouts. I also want to try the Strada.

I was on a road last weekend that had "Loose" asphalt.. Not gravel, but the rocks were not imbeded very well and the road was old. I could feel the tires pull trhe rocks loose as I floped it over but it did not let go.

Perhaps Storms are next...........

I loved the original Powers as well (on my R1), so when the 2CT came out, I thought I'd give them a shot.
Surprisingly.... I don't like them at all on my R1! :unsure:

I am finding it a little too un-nerving when I transition from the harder center to the softer sides.... never, EVER thought I would be able to detect/notice the change in grip (and probably wouldn't on the big FJR), but notice it I do on the feather-weight R1, and it makes for some unsettling times if the road is particularly hairy-twisty.

For example, last Sunday, I took the R1 to the Spiral Highway just north of Clarkston, Washington. As you can see in this link, the Spiral Highway is brutally twisty, climbing 1.500 feet in just a few miles. Riding this road on my Dunlop Qualifiers last year, I was laying the R1 over heavily with great confidence. Not so with the 2CT Powers, which was as surprising to me as it was disappointing.....

Back to single compound Powers for me..... on the R1 only. I personally don't think the Powers are a good idea (for me) on the FJR. Such a soft tire on a big, heavy road machine with this much torque will not last diddley-squat in my riding environment....
shrug.gif

You know that is kind of ironic. I am actually looking at another bike (just beginning my process) that is a flickable fun toy. I love my FJR but I think I want a bike I can do track days on for learning and improving my riding. I have heard good about he R1. The only negative was the power band is really spikey.... I have never ridden one and may decide to start with a 600CC repli bike until I am more profecient. I think a liter bike may be to much for me at first because my enthusiasm far exceeds my skill at times :glare:

I honestly think any sport tire is a waste of money on the FJR. For the limited cornering clearance it has, plus its heft, any sport touring tire is more than enough. I was scraping the pegs on my bike, and didn't even get to the edge of the Z6s. I didn't like them too much, but loved the Stradas on my equally hefty BMW (made by the same company), so they're next. Hope everybody had a happy 4th. Later.

JC