Average MPG

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron

Reaction score
How accurate is the average MPG? I seem to get about 220 total miles on my 2006 but I have never put in more than 5.5 gallons. Has anyone ever put in more than 6 gallons? What are the most miles that anyone has put on a tank?

Last edited by a moderator:
I averaged 51mpg limping home on the highway (still going 10 over...). so...... 51X6.6=336.6 This was going 75-80. If you wanted to slow down, I am sure you can get more. But that is not fun. try a search for Average MPG, might find a lot more information on exact mpg for speed.

I just got my '07 FJR a couple of weeks ago, but today I thought I was low on gas. When I got to one bar on the panel display I got an "F" on the gauge and it started counting my mileage all over from zero. When I filled up it held 5.5 gallons. So, is there a gallon in reserve?

As far as average mileage, it's just getting better as the bike limbers up. I'm showing 45.7 to 46.1 for average MPG. Can this be for real?

I just got my '07 FJR a couple of weeks ago, but today I thought I was low on gas. When I got to one bar on the panel display I got an "F" on the gauge and it started counting my mileage all over from zero. When I filled up it held 5.5 gallons. So, is there a gallon in reserve?
As far as average mileage, it's just getting better as the bike limbers up. I'm showing 45.7 to 46.1 for average MPG. Can this be for real?
My '06's average mpg ranges from mid-thirties to low-fifties, depending on how fast it wants to go.

I took my '07 with ~100 miles on a 300 mile trip. I filled up before and after the trip (reseting the Avg. MPG with each fillup). My gauge shoed 44.5 MPG and I calculated to be 44.1 MPG by doing the math with the odometer and the gallons at the pump. So, I would say the gauge is pretty accurate. :D

According to Yamaha, the reserve is 1.45 Gallons. I just took a 1222 mile ride the last three days, and I averaged 42.92 MPG, so I am pretty happy with that. As Ron commented, I too am looking for gas and going on F trip around 215 miles. One needs to keep in mind our reserve (from the time F trip kicks in) is huge. Almost 1 1/2 Gallons still in the tank. I suspect one could go 50-60 miles on reserve but I am not that daring. I have gone 30 miles with no problems...

Even at a conservative 38 miles per gallon this bike should be a able to go a good 240 miles on a tankfull. Someone should let their tank run dry for the sake of science and let us know :)

Commuting: 42 mpg

Highway: 46 mpg

Best ever: 51 mpg We ran two-up with all three bags loaded for about 150 miles @ 90mph (no wind and pretty flat).

Gauge: Usually hits reserve around 225-230. 280 is the furthest I've ever [accidentally] ran it. I believe it took 6.3g on that one.

PS. Nothing is finer than a cool tank of gas on a HOT day!!!

The average MPG display seems to be about .5 MPG optimistic on my bike, when I compare actual gallons used with miles traveled myself. I'm getting right around 43 MPG per tank these days.

When new I was getting about 42-44mpg. When I put the PCIII on, it was the same, maybe a bit less. After a TBS it came up about 2mpg. BUT it all depends on how you twist the wick.

On a run where I averaged 76mph by GPS which include a lot of 4 lane running 85-90+ and about 100 miles of twisties (double run of Cherohala Skyway), I hit 38-39mpg. On a run where I was in 4th and 5th hardly ever exceeding 70mph and vertually no hard acceleration I hit 55mpg. In 200 miles of "average" kinda touring riding last weekend I ran 48mpg which is pretty much my norm now.

The average MPG display seems to be about .5 MPG optimistic on my bike, when I compare actual gallons used with miles traveled myself. I'm getting right around 43 MPG per tank these days.
I'm sure it's been a topic in the past, but how about the speedometer? The difference between my speedo and Garmin increases with speed. 80 MPH on the speedo = about 75.5 on the Garmin. However, 140 on the speedo = 131 on the Garmin. Anyone else?

I'm sure it's been a topic in the past, but how about the speedometer? The difference between my speedo and Garmin increases with speed. 80 MPH on the speedo = about 75.5 on the Garmin. However, 140 on the speedo = 131 on the Garmin. Anyone else?

The speedo is off, I can't remember about what percent it is, but once you get up in the triple digits it starts to show a lot more.

07 fjr -

speedo = 45, garmin/radar match at 43

speedo = 60, garmin/radar match at 57

SS

I've checked the MPG as the gismo says versus calculated using pump and distance and "on my bike" it's so close it's well within the margin for error. My speedo varies as much as 3 to 4 mph from GPS but GPS is not perfect either, especially when measuring trip distances.

As far a speedo accuracy, at a bike indicated 65 MPH the GPS says 62 or so. Call it a 5% error. I've had bikes that were off by much more.