Shinko 009 impressions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobG

Reaction score
I am starting this thread to talk about the Shinko 009 sport touring tire and to get some collective experience from the users.

I did a short 60 mile loop from my house, 70% twisties, the tires had no surprises. Dry pavement, handled well.

Bob

Loaded up or what? My dealer keeps shooing me away because of the potential GVW. He's not comfy with the Shinkos holding up. I'd be interested and reading some reviews on LD loaded-up trips.

Well, I was going to try and compile some of this info, but I killed the feej. I still have the tires in waiting, but now my information will be seriously biased because I bought an FZ6. That bike weighs a good 250 pounds less than the feej. Any data will not be directly relatable. Oh, well.

But about your dealer; What information does he use to make this determination? Does he have some real-world failure scenarios or is this just a gut-feeling bias? How old is his information? You know, Avon used to make good tires too. ;) How many years have you been personally dealing with this person? I am sure you are aware that long-term exposure to you can and will cause serious mental and emotional instability. In any account, does he even sell these tires? Perhaps you could approach him about installing on your other bike, since it is lighter. Maybe the response would indicate motivation. (such as tire safety vs. profit margins)

Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just how bad was that shot to the head? :p That's why I asked the question, dork. I'm tending not to believe his concerns anymore, but still, I'm concerned that a budget tire might be less than optimal for this platform. The last thing I wanna think about while doing a ton fully ladened is the friggin' tires. Capice? I figger some other poor sap can do the test piloting rather than me. I fuck up enough on my own and don't need any other outside influences helping me along to the Great Canyon Road in the Sky. ;)

How dem ree-ibs, bo-ay?

Edit: Yeah, he sells a shit load of Shinkos to the sport bike crowd and aways has a big pile of them right in front of the parts desk. The ST tires are relegated to the top of the tire rack in back.

Just had a set of Storms mounted by a guy I have been doing business with for 5 years now and he doesn't recommend the Shinko's at all much less for the FJR. But I guess a guy who mounts tires all week doesn't know much anyway. Just one man's opinion I guess.

I still have the tires in waiting, but now my information will be seriously biased because I bought an FZ6. That bike weighs a good 250 pounds less than the feej.
While I agree that tire impressions can't be compared, you overstate the difference in weight.

2007 FJR Dry Weight: 582 lbs.

2007 FZ6 Dry Weight: 410 lbs.

-Uwe-

Loaded up or what?
Uh, this was the only question that you asked. The knock on the the head significantly reduced my e.s.p., so I did miss most of that inference. Now, for the benefit of the forum membership, borrow some nads and just try the damn tires. Sheesh.

I still have the tires in waiting, but now my information will be seriously biased because I bought an FZ6. That bike weighs a good 250 pounds less than the feej.
While I agree that tire impressions can't be compared, you overstate the difference in weight.

-Uwe-
Uh, I knew that. It was a test. Your prize will be shipped Monday. :D

Loaded up or what?
Uh, this was the only question that you asked. The knock on the the head significantly reduced my e.s.p., so I did miss most of that inference. Now, for the benefit of the forum membership, borrow some nads and just try the damn tires. Sheesh.

-Uwe-
Forgive Scab, he's still suffering from the trauma. :dribble:

My Feejer will be loaded for bear, but just one up with 200 pounds of me. Shinkos are on and scrubbed in. I'll put about 6K on the trip from Indiana, to Montana then down to PC and back home. That will be a real world test. I won't be going ScooterG fast or long, but I'll give them a better'n average work out. I'm taking my camera and little wifi fuji, so hopefully you'll get reports from the road.

So far, they feel really good. If the case holds up, if it's a harder compound, I would expect longer wear, especially on a touring trip. Time will tell. Stay tuned for more....

Loaded up or what?

-Uwe-

My Feejer will be loaded for bear, but just one up with 200 pounds of me. Shinkos are on and scrubbed in. I'll put about 6K on the trip from Indiana, to Montana then down to PC and back home. That will be a real world test. I won't be going ScooterG fast or long, but I'll give them a better'n average work out. I'm taking my camera and little wifi fuji, so hopefully you'll get reports from the road.

So far, they feel really good. If the case holds up, if it's a harder compound, I would expect longer wear, especially on a touring trip. Time will tell. Stay tuned for more....
Please don't say that! :unsure:

I'm currently 8k into a pair of 009's after obsessing over internet reports, including the ones here. I spooned em on the week of Easter and rode 2k miles that weekend. They've worked well for me. I'm not gonna even pretend I'm a hot-shot twisty-strafer, in fact I rarely exceed the limit by more than 10 anywhere, but I have no chicken strips and have touched both peg feelers down with no extra pucker-factor. Having worn through 80% of the tread depth they seem a little more squirrely than they did 2k ago, but not unsafe by any means. They aren't scary in the rain. I don't exceed the speed limit AT ALL in the wet, but they were at least as good as the Z-6's I hated, err...I mean had.

I'm natually unsatisfied with anything disposable, so I'll try another brand next. But being monetarily challenged as I am, if I were riding a 3 week tour tomorrow, and needed to spoon on a new set, I'd have no heartburn with another set of Ravens.

Just had a set of Storms mounted by a guy I have been doing business with for 5 years now and he doesn't recommend the Shinko's at all much less for the FJR. But I guess a guy who mounts tires all week doesn't know much anyway. Just one man's opinion I guess.
Just because a guy "mounts" tires really doesn't mean he knows much about "riding" on tires or how they perform. How many Shinko's does he actually have experience with is he just another BS'er like most of the guys who talk about Shinko's and have absolutely no experience with them? Guys who actually have them are not complaining, in fact, quite the opposite.

I'm currently 8k into a pair of 009's after obsessing over internet reports, including the ones here. I spooned em on the week of Easter and rode 2k miles that weekend. They've worked well for me. I'm not gonna even pretend I'm a hot-shot twisty-strafer, in fact I rarely exceed the limit by more than 10 anywhere, but I have no chicken strips and have touched both peg feelers down with no extra pucker-factor. Having worn through 80% of the tread depth they seem a little more squirrely than they did 2k ago, but not unsafe by any means. They aren't scary in the rain. I don't exceed the speed limit AT ALL in the wet, but they were at least as good as the Z-6's I hated, err...I mean had.I'm natually unsatisfied with anything disposable, so I'll try another brand next. But being monetarily challenged as I am, if I were riding a 3 week tour tomorrow, and needed to spoon on a new set, I'd have no heartburn with another set of Ravens.
Right now I've got 400-500 miles on my set of Ravens and I've been progressively pushing them. I don't know what they do on slabs because I've been running primarily twisties. Unlike Storms they don't have any wobble nor do they make me fight to keep my line. I can say +1 to everything wanderer has said. As far as load rating goes, and I know this is far from being scientific but I have yet to see science affect a tire topic much anyway, a quick gander at a Storm before and after a few K miles plus flexing its sidewalls and you might consider going on a diet before spooning on another set.

Fuck that. This is the prescribed therapy. ;) Friggin' nimrod still can't understand simple English, which means we still have a way to go. Mrs. Scab must be at wits end!

Right now I've got 400-500 miles on my set of Ravens and I've been progressively pushing them. I don't know what they do on slabs because I've been running primarily twisties. Unlike Storms they don't have any wobble nor do they make me fight to keep my line. I can say +1 to everything wanderer has said. As far as load rating goes, and I know this is far from being scientific but I have yet to see science affect a tire topic much anyway, a quick gander at a Storm before and after a few K miles plus flexing its sidewalls and you might consider going on a diet before spooning on another set.
Yeah, well scientific 'theory' is just that and on that, we agree. Save for cords showing, my 1st Storm rear was in great shape when de-rimmed. Give me numbers and make me a believer. Load that sum bitch up to the max and run about 2 or 3 k at LD speeds and report back. That's the info I'm interested in reading before I try the Shinko's.

Yeah, well scientific 'theory' is just that and on that, we agree. Save for cords showing, my 1st Storm rear was in great shape when de-rimmed. Give me numbers and make me a believer. Load that sum bitch up to the max and run about 2 or 3 k at LD speeds and report back. That's the info I'm interested in reading before I try the Shinko's.
If you look at a Storm cross section, which I did, you won't go near the chords again, unless of course you're suicidal. What is great shape? I compared my Storm with a BT020 with exactly the same miles. Storm was spongy rubber in the center and sidewalls (a very good indicator of load rating) were no where near as stiff as the Bridgestones. What kind of numbers are you looking for???? There ain't no "sum bitch load meter." It's all feel, speculation and mystical rectal extraction. Maybe if you have the rim touching the ground when loaded it would say something, but like I said or implied, there are no numbers to show.

Wanderer, I can't remember, do they use the chip-seal process on your side of the Rock?

If so if this tire gets that kind of mileage they are already worth it.

I have already gone 20+ in the twisties with no surprises.

As for the max load rating they are the same as the Storms, rear 805 lbs max, 520 lbs front. (Avon 521 lbs front)

Yamaha recommends a 73W in rear and 58W in the front, which the Shinko 009 tires are.

I am 6-5 250 lbs, before I add the stuff in the cases.

As for mechanics there are good and bad, and the ones that ain't worth a shit are the ones who will lie to cover their ignorance.

Our local BMW mechanic falls in the latter category. Most BMW owners in our club avoids using him.

Bob

.As for the max load rating they are the same as the Storms, rear 805 lbs max, 520 lbs front. (Avon 521 lbs front)
Yamaha recommends a 73W in rear and 58W in the front, which the Shinko 009 tires are.
+1 BobG. I just looked at the Avon, Shinko and BT020 that came stock. The fact that Yamaha puts the BT020 on at the factory and it has the exact same load numbers as the Shinko (and Avon) should make this entire point a waste of bandwidth. Here are some other facts that really don't mean much. BT020 - tread 3 nylon plies and 1 steel, sidewall 3 nylon; Avon tread 2 nylon, 1 aramid, sidewall 2 nylon; Shinko tread 2 nylon, 1 aramid, sidewall 1 Nylon. When you cut the Avon, those two nylons sure look one and the Avon is surely the flimsiest feeling sidewall of the three.

Wanderer, I can't remember, do they use the chip-seal process on your side of the Rock?
If so if this tire gets that kind of mileage they are already worth it.
It's a mix. Seems like CDOT is slowly asphalting everything around here, but most of the roads are the grey chip-seal or high aggregate concrete.

As for the max load rating they are the same as the Storms, rear 805 lbs max, 520 lbs front. (Avon 521 lbs front)Yamaha recommends a 73W in rear and 58W in the front, which the Shinko 009 tires are.
The fact that Yamaha puts the BT020 on at the factory and it has the exact same load numbers as the Shinko (and Avon) should make this entire point a waste of bandwidth.
I came to this same conclusion after an exhaustive search when I was tire shopping.

When I spooned on a set of Ravens there were very few reviews on this tire, let alone 650 lb touring bikes. Every report was positive from the big bikes. I bit the bullet and mounted them, and now happily add my positive review of them to anyone who asks.

They meet the weight and speed req's set forth by Mama Yama, just because they don't have a reputation isn't enough to scare me away. Everyone's gotta start somewhere. Buying Yokohama's gig isn't a bad start.

sprint stHow they do in the rain? Any surprises?

wanderer

sounds promising.

Bob
Rain, what's rain, haven't seen any :D We're in a major drought here. I hear that the Storm was the cat's behind in the wet, but as I've always said, I have yet to find a tire that is "good" in the rain. My Avon slid some and so did every other tire I have ridden. I just slow down, and I mean a lot in the rain.