fuel range

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

120hp harley

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed before. I just went 247 miles before fueling up and put in 5.3 gallons. I know the fuel gauge accuracy is junk but I was just wondering how many miles people have put on a tank before refueling. By my calculations I should be able to go 300 miles on a tank.

You get many more miles per tank than I do. I only see about 200 per tank and a little more when only riding on the freeway.

Apparently, rapid acceleration up to, and perhaps just a tad over, the speed limit causes poor fuel efficiency. I only average 33-35mpg and fill up with about 5.5 gallons at 185 miles. But, nearly all of my riding is confined to short commute to work on city streets with lots of stop and stay stopped traffic.

I think on the freeway, it does a bit over 40. We'll see how she does on the way to WFO.

Last edited by a moderator:
ponyfool

Riding at the posted you can easily get 250 mpg.

Without accelerating like a racer you can still average 42mpg.

Your range is about right.

Last trip here in the West I went 3161 miles on Interstate and back roads with spirit. Some of the back roads were with great spirit, ask attendees of SW-FOG. Average mileage for my 04 was 48.7 MPG over the entire trip. Longrider

I know it's real hard to compare mpg. Different blends, riding styles, weight. I live in a county that sells reformulated gas. That stuff sucks. I'm close enough to the next county that isn't required to sell reformulated so I always go there. The added mpg makes up for the travel. I think I just might try to get 300 miles on the next tank.

Elevation has a huge impact on MPG. Up here in CO above 6k I get 230 on a tank in stop-n-go traffic. on the open road I've gotten as good as 275 although 250 is much more common. I pretty much consider the tank empty when I hit one bar left and put in 5.0-5.1 gallons.

By my calculations I should be able to go 300 miles on a tank.
Only if you assume 45+ mpg and you roll up to the pump with the engine stumbling. Some do occasionally get this mileage, but you can't depend on it. To have some margin, most of us fill between 180-230 and start to get REAL worried at 250+... completely consistent with what yours is doing.

- Mark

I just filled up a couple of days ago; 260 on the trip meter, I was about 8 miles positive into the reserve, and filled the tank (to the very brink) with 5.3 gallons. Assuming, true 6.6 gallon tank capacity, 300 miles should have been easily doable. Most of these miles were below 60 mph in mixed riding, though very little stop and go.

I guess I ride like grandma. I often get 54 mpg with my '04 FJR -- always over 50 mpg. Admittedly this is from mostly leisurely rides on rural roads in the Southeast.

On the fuel gauge the 1st bar disappears at 42-46 miles, the 2nd bar at 79-82 miles, the 3rd bar at 120-125 miles, the 4th bar at 160-162 miles, the 5th bar at 200-205 miles, the 6th bar at 240-245 miles, the 7th bar at 268-274 miles, and the 8th bar starts blinking at 285-290 miles.

I keep the stock windshield at its lowest postion. I get into 5th gear very quickly and stay there. That's one of the main draws of the FJR for me -- it's fairly strong in the lower rpm's and I don't need to shift much. To me the FJR is a cruiser with a better engine and drivetrain, better suspension and handling, and better brakes.

I'm meticulous with the TBS syncing. I'm of the opinion this will help improve the MPG. I don't warm up the engine. I roll it out of the garage, hop on, start the engine while in 1st gear, and take off.

My 05 with a Rifle Touring W/S normally in the up position normally ran in the low to mid 40's. The 07 with a stock W/S in a mix of up & down positions has been running 46 pretty consistantly. Both bikes seemed to get better mileage when I carry a passenger (smoother, & more conservative riding(?)) and both bikes have had a Givi trunk. I ride with the saddlebags always on.

This morning, I filled my 2004 and got 47.5 mpg, and it was a touch over 49 mpg two days ago. We're near sea-level, but on the down-side I'm just about due for a tune with the idle crap (stumbling) and don't do anything extreme to conserve gas.

A couple of thoughts:

1. I try real hard to stay away from alchohol additives, finding that gas from Sheetz and some others will knock nearly 10% off the mpg.

2. Like ConstantMesh, I get into 5th when commuting and just stay till it wants a downshift.

3. The harder that you roll on the throttle for the same target rpm, the harder that the injection will squirt in gas to keep the mixture from leaning out. Rolling on throttle slowly really makes a difference.

4. I keep my tire pressures up and the big windshield down as much as possible. Either one can knock a solid 2 mpg off.

Bob

I'm sure this has been discussed before. I just went 247 miles before fueling up and put in 5.3 gallons. I know the fuel gauge accuracy is junk but I was just wondering how many miles people have put on a tank before refueling. By my calculations I should be able to go 300 miles on a tank.
I have 3,000 miles on my '07. Mileage generally has improved since new. Never ran tank dry, but have run a gallon into the reserve (258 miles total). Currently get 43-44 MPG on a half and half mix of interstate and 55 mph roads. Find through several checks that my average MPG as it shows on the bike is always within a 1/2 mile per gallon when I fill up. Good enough for me.