10,200 Miles on the Pilot Roads

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadGlide

Reaction score
I ran over a nail yesterday and planted it squarely in the center of my Pilot Road rear tire. I was planning on changing out the tires anyway but this sealed the deal for me. I carefully researched the "Forum" as always when I need to perform maintenance on the bike. I had previously decided to try the Storms next but their seems to be a lot of discussion about the front tire wobble issue. So I found some Pilot Roads nearby and pulled the wheels off myself having the store mount them on the rims for me. As I finish the job (also changed the oil) I pulled out my logbook to note the maintenance and saw that I had over 10,200 miles on the Pilots. Now I know some people like them and others don't, but I ride aggressively and over 10,000 miles on a set of worthy tires means I'll keep using them. :rolleyes:

10,200 out of a SET? I don't know what kind of riding you do but no way could I get that kind of mileage out of a rear. Hell, I'd be lucky to get that out of a front.

Last edited by a moderator:
After my last Avon experience, with the front being out of round by more than 1/8" after only 1k miles, I'll be checking for out of round condition immediately upon install. I believe the initial out of round condition leads into all the problems we're currently experiencing on the front.

I just mounted a new rear Storm tonight... I got 6200 out of the first one, and that was pushing it, not quite to cords but pushing it as in bald as hell in the center. The front is fine so in an effort to keep them matched I'm going to roll through another rear and maybe my opinion will change but it's not likely.

I got 8200 from the Z6's, but that was 8200 to cords showing (not desired).

I'm one of the few that don't find the Storms all that awe inspiring, from either mileage or necessarily handling, but that's my take.

I will go with a set of PR's next, they can't be any worse IMHO, and I throughly enjoyed them on my previous ride.

I will say this, NoMar is the shit... The first time we struggled a bit, but tonight ~40 mins to remove wheel, tire, install new, balance and back on the bike. That was not rushing in the least. Could do it now in probably 20 if I *had* too.

What slowed me down the most was putting the dang tire back on. :/

I think the Pilot Roads are good tires as well, much better than Avons. The PR's wear evenly, don't seem to cup on the front like the Avons and there is no head shake.

8k miles with a very early swap

9.2k miles with another early swap

10k and needing to swap before long

i like the PRs too.

i got 6k out of the OEM BT020

and 8k out of the ST45/46 with it so bald i should have swapped at 7k but the out-of-round tire tricked me into thinkint there was more there than really was (0/23's in some places and 2/32's in others).

I ran over a nail yesterday and planted it squarely in the center of my Pilot Road rear tire. I was planning on changing out the tires anyway but this sealed the deal for me. I carefully researched the "Forum" as always when I need to perform maintenance on the bike. I had previously decided to try the Storms next but their seems to be a lot of discussion about the front tire wobble issue. So I found some Pilot Roads nearby and pulled the wheels off myself having the store mount them on the rims for me. As I finish the job (also changed the oil) I pulled out my logbook to note the maintenance and saw that I had over 10,200 miles on the Pilots. Now I know some people like them and others don't, but I ride aggressively and over 10,000 miles on a set of worthy tires means I'll keep using them. :rolleyes:
I'm glad I came in here to burn some time. I thought that front tyre was put on incorrectly when I felt the front wobble on take off. When these Avons are gone I think a set of Road Pilots might be the next choice unless I come across any really bad press.

SMURFF

I'm glad I came in here to burn some time. I thought that front tyre was put on incorrectly when I felt the front wobble on take off. When these Avons are gone I think a set of Road Pilots might be the next choice unless I come across any really bad press.

SMURFF
Are you guys talking about the PR2's with the dual compound, or the just the PR's?

I've run 4 different brands of tires and the PR's front tire is absolutely the worst handling tire of the lot. Perhaps the PR2 with the dual compound is better???

I have good results with the pilot roads. Rear tires don't seem to last too long, but that could be my fault. :rolleyes:

As stated in another tire thread, I called Michelin U.S. earlier today and was told P.R. 2's will not be available stateside 'till the end of the year. I told them they were a little too eager to advertise at an early date and have made folks unecessarily anxious to purchase them. Marketing goofed! :blink: I ran orig. P.R.s to 9,000 satisfactory miles but Pirellis were (for me) much more desirable in handling dept. being less "truckish" feeling with better turn in and road feel

Pirelli Diablo Stada's (E) used up at 8,000 enjoyable miles to wear bars (some can't find these??) ctr. rr. scuffing just beginning to show (no belts showing...yet)

I will try the new P.R. 2's next season and by then, there should be a good bit of feedback out! :)

10,200 out of a SET? I don't know what kind of riding you do but no way could I get that kind of mileage out of a rear. Hell, I'd be lucky to get that out of a front.
Got 6250 out of the rear stock Bridgestone and it had cord showing in the center. Decided to do a quick 1600 miles in CO and NM before put on the new Diablo Stradas. Wow did that last rubber disappear fast!

I think the Pilot Roads are good tires as well, much better than Avons. The PR's wear evenly, don't seem to cup on the front like the Avons and there is no head shake.
The front PR I had cupped a bit. The Azaro didn't cup as much. I'm waiting to set how the PR2s fair. Just my $.02 worth.

Tom

Latest posts