"They should be hunted to extinction"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrpro

Reaction score
Well I just finished waxing, packing and was off for four days down at the outer banks....about 35 miles from home a deer comes out from some bushes and I tag it about 15 to 20 mph. F%$^...S%^...... The only pleasure I got out of it was when the NJ trooper arrived he walked up and shot the deer right in front of some A-holes who were more concerned with the deer then me or my condition...NICE. Anyhow it looks like I need some new lights and front cowl and front fender. I road the bike home but I noticed a black tire mark on the cowl below the rad...looks like a tire mark. Now the mark is about 2 inch up from bottom. So did the forks push back or did the whole cowl come fwd? Bike ran fine home and I did not see any damage to the forks. I will spend the next week figuring that out as well as building an estimate for my ins............This SUCKS.

fjrDuc.jpg

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

You ought to at least get to eat them. The hay- and grain-fed whitetails around here are delicious. Also, in Montana if you dispatch a cripple, the LEOs will cite you for hunting out of season. How ridiculous is that? Yeah, I can just see the PETA crowd giving you hell for being careless and inhumane... but then they put animals on an equal plane with humans.

Well, got to go get my bow permit. PETA season opens September 1.

Glad you only did superficial damage to the machine and none to yourself.

Glad you are ok - there is always a way to replace a bike. I have been riding for over 40 years & forest rat encounters are still my biggest fear on the road.

My biggest fear...those GD deer!! Its just a matter of time until we encounter one. I'm happy your doing well though. So you didnt go down then at all??

There is plenty of room for all of the deer in this world. RIGHT NEXT TO THE MASH POTATOE'S!!!! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been a big game hunter since I got my hunter's safety card at age 12. Hunters will learn a lot about the habits of the deer and will read the terrain to get some pretty good idea of where the critters are most likely to be moving and crossing. In those likely places is where I always ride with my brakes covered. However, I also realize it is likely a matter of time before one of those buggers, maybe fleeing a pack of coyotes, just rips right out in front or into the side of ya.They're one of the elements of the riding environment that are almost totally beyond control or even mitigation. So I almost never ride at night and try to avoid dawn and dusk.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about some creative thinking on this incident. Since your four days of vacation was lost by a deer protected by the state maybe you should send them a bill, for lost time, puntive damage and a wrongful accident suit. I believe the state who owns the deer and protects it is responsible. Worth a try?? :)

The bike is parked and I will drive tomorrow to the beach...I was a bit depressed and was planing on not going but I am not letting this BS get to me. The funny thing was the deer came at me on a 45 deg angle and was looking at me and keeping up. All dam day I have be playing, shoulda coulda woulda with this. Oh ya and I had deer whistles on the bike!!!!! Next time F^&* the whistles.... I am mounting a set of guns and a gun sight!!!

:ph34r:

You could have taken one of the side bags off and gone and beaten the deer to death with it. That way it would have looked like part of the accident, and think of all of the frustration and extra adrenaline you would have worked off.

deer are wonderful creatures, especially with BBQ sauce. That is my biggest fear on a bike, I used to take the long way home at night, to avoid the backroads and Bambi. Maybe I need to ride my bike to my deerstand this fall. Maybe my odds will improve. Glad you're ok, plastic is alot easier to replace thank skin.

Congrats for staying on FJRPRO. I'm glad you were able to slow down that much before impact, that made a difference. My son was married on the outer banks a year ago... Kitty Hawk... beautiful area.