Metzler Belt Separation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
Wasn't there a rash of Metzler belt separations a while back? The stock tires were having problems and that particular tire which was stock on many FJR's? (Z4?)

One of our EOM participants had exactly that problem with his front tire. Fortunately we were only 2 miles from a dealer in Lexington and they were able to fix him up pronto.

Seems I remember reading a long time ago (on a borard far far away) that Metzler was making good on these, regardless of mileage?

I've had a belt separation in a cage tire a couple times, but on a front mc tire, you're talking SCAREY! Talk about a Flintstone tire! I can't believe that Jay was able to ride that jackhammer to the dealer. The defect was so large that his bars were going up and down a couple inches at each harsh rotation. What pucker factor, waiting for that thing to self destruct. Even at 20 mph or less. YIKES!

Don't know that I would label it a "rash" of incidents, but there were some doing it, and it was the fronts strangely enough that seemed predisposed to the problem. Z4's and Z6's IIRC. The limey forum had the most responses from riders.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are no friggin' way a Metzler will ever go on my FJR... here's just a sampling of Metz failures that I've seenover the past 2 years....:

19969.jpg

33248.jpg

29427.jpg

29445.jpg

Here's a brand new Z6 tire.....

101595.jpg

Steel cords on that Z6:

101596.jpg

6000 miles on a set of Z6s and the only problem I have with them is that they're lasting too long. I usually only get 3500-4000 out of a rear. My guess is that there are isolated incidents of all tire brands.

6000 HARD miles on my Z6 front. 3k on the rear, and it doesn't look worn at all.

I'm sold...period. They stick like glue and wear like iron. You couldn't give me a set of Avons from all the headshake I've heard about them.

If I try a different brand next time around it will be Michelin.

There are problems with EVERY product in the world. Get over it.

6000 HARD miles on my Z6 front. 3k on the rear, and it doesn't look worn at all.I'm sold...period. They stick like glue and wear like iron. You couldn't give me a set of Avons from all the headshake I've heard about them.

Sorry, but I have yet to see even ONE report or photo of an Avon, Michelin, or Bridgestone tire suffering this type of failure.

I am with Warchild, no Metzlers for me.

I also experienced a Z4 front tire failure/separation at 85 mph and will not be a Metzler customer in the future. I used to like Sportecs but will not be spending any more money with Metzler. The Internet is full of first hand accounts of failures. How many failures requires a recall?

Ooh, shit! I forgot about the splitting! I had Michelin's on order just before the Yosemite ride and they counter kid brought in the wrong size front, so I had them put on the Z6's... Dayem, my triple digit speeds (well, unless that Highlander character shows up and wants to go for a spin!) are done until these are toast...

I've often wondered if this is anecdotal internet stuff or what. I did let it influence me to try the Michelin Pilot Roads which are indeed wonderful tires. Good luck with whatever tire you choose.

:)

6000 HARD miles on my Z6 front. 3k on the rear, and it doesn't look worn at all.I'm sold...period. They stick like glue and wear like iron. You couldn't give me a set of Avons from all the headshake I've heard about them.

I would very much enourage you to try the AVON's. At the very worst, I can't imagine that you would be disappointed. . .especially when compared to the Metzelers. But you may quite probably be pleasantly surprised by what a great combination of grip/ease of turn in/mileage the AVON's have. As for the pilot roads, they don't have the grip that the AV45/46 combo does. I was doing a spirited ride over a mountain pass, side by side, with a friend that shod his K1200RS with pilot roads and he reported that he felt his bike slipping a bit in some of the corners. Nary a problem with the AVONS on my FJR. Admittedly, I've never tried the Z6's, but I'm not inclined to since that was my Z4 in the above pic with the cable being held out by the blue ink pen. :eek:

The strange thing is that you always hear these things on US boards. Metzeler is used quite a lot here, particular on touring bikes and I have yet to hear about a single occurance of belt seperation on European forums. Makes me wonder how much it really happens and how much of it is parrot talk.

The strange thing is that you always hear these things on US boards. Metzeler is used quite a lot here, particular on touring bikes and I have yet to hear about a single occurance of belt seperation on European forums. Makes me wonder how much it really happens and how much of it is parrot talk.
Like SkooterG said, "

Sorry, but I have yet to see even ONE report or photo of an Avon, Michelin, or Bridgestone tire suffering this type of failure.
" Above, I see pics of 5 different Metzeler tires with belt separation and have heard nary a rumor of this happening to any other tire. So, for me, thats sufficient reason to avoid those tires until Metzeler can come up with an adequate explanation and implement a solution. . .and the "parrot talk" conjecture takes a secondary role.

Please don't buy the Z6's. Demand will drop and supply will rise. Basic economics tells me that will drive the price down which will make them much more affordable when I get my next set.

The Z6 seems to have better wet and dry traction and provides me with much more confidence than any other tire I've had on it. Plus, I'm getting a bunch more miles than I have with the 'stones or PRs. Until I find a tire that gives me the traction/ride/confidence that the Z6 provides, I'll keep using them. Say a prayer for me.

Well, it wasn't parrot talk for me.

Eastbound on I-70, about 20 miles west of Glenwood Springs, Colorado. It was September, so heat wasn't a problem. We were cruising at 80 on a Saturday afternoon, four day weekend. Withoout any warning whatsoever; WHAM, tread separation, 80mph tank slapper. No air loss, sh!t my pants, sucked my seat up to my shoulder blades and coasted to the shoulder.

We couldn't believe our eyes, this 18" long bubble in the front tire. So we limped into Glenwood Spgs, (front end pounding like a jackhammer) to Sportland. The guys squeezed me in on a Sat afternoon. All they had was another Metz, an M1 in my size. They said they'd never seen anything like it (same as the pics above) and would talk to Metz; but don't hold my breath (never heard back from them). Since we were packed for the weekend and I hadn't 'read this on the internet', I left the tire with Sportland. And we finished our weekend.

If Metzlers were free, I wouldn't put one on my motorcycle. So you guys in denial can have my share. There are too many SAFE choices out there.

Ah, so what you're saying is that it's Bush's fault? :lol: :D

If Metzlers were free, I wouldn't put one on my motorcycle. So you guys in denial can have my share. There are too many SAFE choices out there.

Thanks dude!

I love gettin' shit for free. ;)

Bottom line......until I MYSELF experience it in person, I'll wait until these wear out to try another brand. I've been unemployed for a little over 2 yrs now, there's NO WAY I'm tossing 2 perfectly good tires (that perfom EXTREMELY well I might add) just to follow the herd.

I'm not against trying something different. It would rely solely on performance recommendations though. I highly doubt Metzler didn't follow up (however secretly) on this and take a closer look at quality control by now.

I'm just not satified with a company that designs a tire that would cause a wobble at ANY speed. This is not something a rider with less than expert riding ability wants to hear. Maybe it doesn't bother the hardcore dudes, but it doesn't sound too inspiring to me.

When I went from the factory installed M4's to the M6's it felt like I was riding at 2 skill levels above what I was used to. They have never broke traction in a turn, or spooked me in any other way.

Again...until I win the lottery I'm keeping what I have until they're worn enough to replace. And at 6k front and 3k rear, it doesn't look like it's any time soon.

Also, after looking at those pics above, I have my own questions.

First tire (first pic) should have been replaced already, and second tire looks like it was ridden in an enduro. New? uh...OK. Looks like a LOT of dirt on it. Exactly where was that tire ridden off road? Even new tires don't hold up well to abuse.

I just got back from the Vegas Bikefest and while in the vendor area I see an 04 in the Saddlemen Travelcade booth ( a refreshing sight in a sea of $40k choppers!) I speak w/ a guy who works w/ the company. He was testing a set of prototype Pirellis that should be out in a couple of months. This tire is the Strada model but designed for the FJR. He showed me where they have some test strips for wear etc. After the meet he was riding to Texas (good luck now with Rita on the way) then back to the west coast and the tires would be removed. He also indicated that Saddlemen has a FJR seat that will also be available shortly and has the saddlegel in it and is reshaped to stop the sliding forward effect. They MAY entertain a group buy. :)

I was taken in by all the talk up the Avons where getting and thus took the plunge and bought a set. I can't say I'm happy with them. I too have the shaking handle bars at 40-50 MPH. Had it since the day they were put on. I installed them at 5600 miles and now at 9000 the rear is at the wear bars and the front is cupped enough I can feel it in the turns. Yes I just got back from some hard riding at EOM but they didn't last any longer than the Metzlers. They did stick in the wet better than the Z4's but that is the only good thing I have seen. I think I'l be looking for something different this go around. Anyone try those new perelli's yet???? :(

Just put Avons on the FJR this weekend. I couldn't wait. The BT-020s made it to 5000 and it was like doing time. Slipped and squirmed in corners, front badly cupped and the rear was ripped to shreads. No chicken strips! :p

I tried the Avon 45/46 on my FZ-1 for a long trip and loved them for trips. After 3000 miles the tires were still like new. I always ran Sportecs on the R-1 and the FZ-1 and was lucky to get more than 1500 miles from the rear tire on either bike.

Took the FJR out for a short hop with the new Avons and already notice the improvement and none of the "fabled" head shake.

I will watch the mileage and see how long they last. Seems that the consensus of the forum is either Avons or Pilot Roads. Shame that Yamaha puts sub-standard tires on such a great machine.