880's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonny

Reaction score
I've been looking thru all the info on tires and one I have seen alot of info on is the rear 880 170/60 17" ... but I haven't seen anything on the front 880 .. the 120/70 17" ... if there is already info there please point it to me as I don't want to clutter the pages. Both of the 880's are listed as 0 degree radials in these sizes. I have used the old ME 88 rear combined with an ME 33 on the front .. had that combo on a number of bikes and got great mileage out of them but those are both bias ply and not a fit for the FJR.

I am not one to drag pegs .. if I do I leave huge pucker marks on my seat. I also don't really care to use two different types of tires as some are doing. So, anybody got info on this?

The rear tire was fine, but I did not like the front. It cupped badly and I took it off at 6,000 (about half gone) miles. I think the compound is too hard for the FJR front. Strada, Z6, Storm or any other sport tire works great with the 880. :rolleyes:

I am running Metzler 880s front and rear on my V-Max. Of course, the way these bikes handle leaves a lot to be imagined!

<_<

I did a fairly comprehensive test on the ME880 rear with the Pirelli Diablo Strada front. Won't bother with the thread link, just suffice it to say this is my personal WARNING against running both the front and rear ME880 on the FJR. I love the combo of the ME880 rear with a good sticky front like the Strada. But IMHO it's a dangerous combination to run both front and rear ME880s on a FJR.

That's not to say that there are not those who do so confidently. It's not my recommended action for anyone. Enjoy the ME880 rear. It will do 90% of what the bike will do. Stick with a front that is 100% there all the time.

My Z6's were toast at 4k miles and bad front end wobble so I went with the 880 front and rear. I have over 8000 miles on them riding hard at times/brisk in the mtns in hot GA summer. I think I can squeeze another 1000 miles out of them and have another set on order. If you're a real peg scraper/knee dragger (why are you on a FJR?) I'd stick with stickier tires, otherwise give them a try. I've owned lots of bikes and except for a Goldwing that got 13,000 miles with the Dunlop E3's (great tire for that bike) have never had any other bike get more than 5000 out of rear and usually got 3-4k out of rear. The Z6's for the FJR are very $$ and I'm not coughing that up every 4000 miles. I'll trade a very slight/minor (for me) amount of grip for more than twice the mileage and lower purchase cost.

Steve

I really like the 880's : I live just S. of Big Sur & ride hwy 1 & the Sierra's & handeling & wear are the Best Como for my riding! This is a TOURING BIKE for going Places; other wise go to the Tract!!

PS: for fast riding I use my BMW!