Personal Tire Mileage Comparison

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
The disclaimer: My home area has some of the roughest pavement surfaces known. My typical tire mileage can easily be half of most. So use these numbers only for comparison sake. No road chickens, tree rats, forest rats, or other such buffet animals were harmed in the making of these tests.

Approximate Average Miles Per Tire:

Metzeler

ME880

Rear - 6,850; Front-not tested

Z6

Rear - 2,400; Front - 3,900

Michelin

Pilot Road

Rear - 4,200; Front - 7,800

Pirelli

Diablo Strada

Rear - 3,250; Front - 5,800

Diablo Strada-E

Rear - 3,100; Front - does not exist

Dunlop

D220

Rear - 2,600; Front - not tested

Avon

Storm

Rear - 2,487; Front - 520 (front abandoned due to mfg. defect)

Bridgestone

Battlaxx BT-021

Rear - 3,825; Front - 3,136

Shinko

Raven

Rear - InProgress; Front - InProgress

Last edited by a moderator:
Z6 was the OEM, right? Looks like the BT021 or the Diablo should be my next set of hoops. Unless, there happens to be a Michelin rep eyeballin' this site and wants to float me some PR2's to 'review'. ;)

Thanks, Jeff. That's some good info. Maybe v65 wants to stick this in his NEPRT sticky.

Obviously, the ME880 had the longest life. Did you give up enough performance with this tire to not recommend or use again? Phil

What tire pressures are you running Jeff, I assume you are running the same on each different set of tires.
Yes, I typically run the same pressures within 2.0 psi across all brands. 40 psi Front, 38-40 Rear. 38 if solo, 40 if two-up. The only exception was the ME880 because it's a naturally stiff and heavy tire that IMHO, performs better at 36 psi.

Obviously, the ME880 had the longest life. Did you give up enough performance with this tire to not recommend or use again? Phil
I highly recommend the ME880 Rear in combination with another, stickier brand of Front, as long as the climate is above 50F. I won't run the ME880 in the Winter. Here's the thread I posted details in ME880 thread

Hey, maybe this should get a sticky somewhere. Since this is the same rider with the same surfaces, this kinda takes the subjectivity out of it. A good reference for comparison.

Hey, maybe this should get a sticky somewhere. Since this is the same rider with the same surfaces, this kinda takes the subjectivity out of it. A good reference for comparison.
Jeff's attention to detail is formidable and empirically rich. I just happen to have a similar amount of log detail and working now to consolidate his and my information into a spreadsheet that may serve to help some board analysis, debate I'm sure, and entertainment through the winter months. My data is a placeholder and mostly bogus at this point until I get home this evening....

If others have this level of data they can submit it to me and I'll try and build a spreadsheet. I'm betting Skooter does and probably has data for a variety of tieres. Even though he typically gets high miles we might be able to build some statistically significant "relative wear" indexes if we have a large enough sample.

...that would be pinworthy I think. ;)

Here's a crude snapshot of a spreadsheet.

tirewear.JPG

Any chance this might get me off the PITA PETA and Feminist Movement Wanted posters???

:unsure:

Any chance this might get me off the PITA and Feminist Movement Wanted posters??? :unsure:
Any poll-twireling icons you might have associated with you are your business as long as they're 50x50 or less. As far as a PITA....if you're on some poster where you're a greek bread smothered in lamb slices and tzatziki....well you have far larger things to worry about. ;)

Good job on the documentation!

Iggy, you have a 19,845 mile discrepancy between fronts and rears (50, front; 69.845, rear). This is due to your propensity to wheelie, I presume? Either that, or you've left off a front tire data point or get wicked good mileage out of this last front tire?

Either that, or you've left off a front tire data point or get wicked good mileage out of this last front tire?
Or because I'm a really lame computer nerd and don't have access to all of my data all of the time. Dang guv'ment rulez.

My data is a placeholder and mostly bogus at this point until I get home this evening....
I'm sure when I do put real data though you can find some interesting anomalies....like one Avon that only lasts 4500 miles for me. Something about Nevada and Utah that made my right hand do very bad things. :rolleyes:

I guess I'm lucky with exceptional roads - Just ticked 7,000 miles on the stock Metz, still ride like new. Run 40/39

Here's an update with my real tire data and submission by borrec. Still not enough data points to do serious analysis, but this thread in particular is the the first tire thread I've seen in at least two years that's worthwhile to pursue.

Anybody that has actually logged personal tire data wear for four or more tires they have worn out (meaning down to a level they think the tires are toast) and wants to share with me...feel free. Borrec sent me his data last night.

tirewear2.JPG

Iggy it doesn't appear your spreadsheet is picking up Borrec's numbers, You might have to extend your ranges in your formula's.

It would be nice if everyone could include their normal tire pressures they use. As that can drastically effect tire mileage.

Iggy it doesn't appear your spreadsheet is picking up Borrec's numbers, You might have to extend your ranges in your formula's.
It would be nice if everyone could include their normal tire pressures they use. As that can drastically effect tire mileage.
39 Front

41 Rear

All Brands(typical) except ME880:

Solo

38 Rear, 38 Front

Two-Up

40 Rear, 39 Front

ME880:

Solo

36 Rear

Two-up

38 Rear