MPG

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregory

Great things are afoot
Reaction score
Greetings all,

Lurking about a bit and I got to wondering, what kind of MPG are you getting? I am currently on a C-10 and I am getting 41 as of the last tank, mostly in-town back and forth to work.

TIA,

Greg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings all,
Lurking about a bit and I got to wondering, what kind of MPG are you getting? I am currently on a C-10 and I am getting 41 as of the last tank, mostly in-town back and forth to work.

TIA,

Greg.
Hi Greg,

I have a 2001 from new, believe I ran it in well, & I have looked after it with good oil & frequent changes. I use 95 RON and I get between 49-55mpg (17.4km/L). It doesn't vary much, no matter how hard I ride. No PCIII, original mufflers, I do the TBS every 5,000km - smooooth as. I see a lot of people getting much worse than this, plus most of the reviews don't get here either. Certainly on the longer trips I've done, with fewer warm ups to waste fuel, over 50mpg is the norm. The bike is supposed to run lean, but my plugs look healthy when I've changed them. HTH.

After 5,000 miles it is generally a consistent high 30's when I am pushing it or high speed cruising and 52+ when riding with my slow riding buddies.

Trip average is right at 46 mpg. I schedule gas stops at 275 miles and figure I can go 60 miles safely after it goes on reserve. 39mpg is about the lowest I have ever got.

Trip average is right at 46 mpg. I schedule gas stops at 275 miles and figure I can go 60 miles safely after it goes on reserve. 39mpg is about the lowest I have ever got.
Unless you're in CA or other places that use "oxygenated" gasoline (gasohol), then themileage drops about 10%. I average 38 mpg commuting, 42 on mountain day trips, 45 on extended "slab" trips. Out of state my gas mileage improves the 10%+ I mentioned.

When I first got my '06 I was getting 40mpg to 46mpg in summer. As I got used to the bike and had more fun and confidence, the mpg ....er ....dropped for some strange reason :rolleyes: .

On long trips with a lot of slab I still get 44mpg, but on my local twisties I get a low of 33mpg. Don't ask how fast I was going on my personal closed course.

After the last few days and recent events, I've been thinking my personal mpg may be going up...... :unsure: :(

On trips about 53 mpg (UK), about 44 (US).

Short, heavy traffic commutes about 38 (UK), about 32 (US)

fjr10_miles.jpg

Full MPG information (updated on every fill):

mcatrophy's FJR Fuel Usage

(Yeah, yeah, I'm an anorak)

(Edited 23rd August 2008 when I discovered that the links were being corrupted by the forum software???)

Overall I'm getting around 45-47. I think the worst tank was around 40 and the best was about 50. Doesn't need premium fuel, either.

When I first got my '06 I was getting 40mpg to 46mpg in summer. As I got used to the bike and had more fun and confidence, the mpg ....er ....dropped for some strange reason :rolleyes: .
Man is this a true statement. Breaking it in, I was amazed at the fantastic mileage. After breakin and getting used to the bike, I now see a lot of 26 to 29 on my "instant mpg". Average is still well into the 40's and, because I live high (make that live in higher altitude), regular (86) works very well.

....but the 26-29 mpg times are a lot more fun

My previous 05 FJR got in the low 40's usually around 45. The current 07 gets a tad bit better, perhaps low to mid 40's usually 46. For me it is speed dependent. Typically I get my best gas mileage when carrying a passenger (I ride more conservatively then) on the country roads out of town but in the 40-60 mph range. The engine seems to have enough torque that the extra weight isn't as important a factor as the rpm's. This question typically opens up discussion about Calif. gas vs. other states, etc. The mileage seems to vary all over the board depending on riding style. I get roughly the same mileage as I did with the old Concours but with much improved performance. As they say, your mileage may vary.

I'm doing well to get mid-30s in town, low to mid-40s on the highway. But I have the Wally Smoothness map which is much richer than stock, but it works great!

I get anywhere from 39-42mpg on around-town duty. It goes to 45 slabbing and once peaked at 47. Oddly enough, it get better mileage when I tearing around backroads than commuting.

When I got my 07 I did a -burn in- run and wrote up a little ride report.

Lake Michigan 1000

I averaged 48.4 which includes city, construction and mostly open 2 lane highway.

Coming off both a CBR1000 and ElectraGlide, it's oh so nice to have a long range bike.

Tommy

I'm consistantly getting low 40's, rarely going below 40 but never above 44: disclaimer; I try to keep it between 70-80MPH on the freeway which is probably close to half of my riding, I do 30-50MPH the other half, in town to and from the freeway. 2005, she's 2 years old this month, with 25,000 miles on the clock. regular oil changes, air filter cleanings, blah, blah, blah.

I don't want to derail this thread (or maybe I do)....but having pondered this very same question, in fact I'm sure I started a similar thread after getting my bike.

Has anyone tried to tune a PCIII for economy? I have searched hi and low for tuning maps but all seem to be tuning for more performance or smoother throttle response, I am happy with both those issues in the stock form. I know that I'm going to catch hell for this statement but here it goes...

I would gladly give up 25HP for 5mpg, I might be willing to give up more than 25HP.

I just can't figure out why I need all of the 145HP to run at 70MPH, and don't get me started about only having 5 gears! Why can't we detune at freeway speeds, and acheive better fuel economy? A flip of a switch when you get to speed and turn off 2 cylinders like the caddy... Don't get me wrong it's not the cost of the fuel that bothers me it's the inconvenience of stopping that I'm opposed to (OK the fuel prises suck too).

OK now I've ranted anyone besides me looking for a little more economy or am I the only one?

46 overall. the mpg ave on the cluster says about 6 mpg higher - but I'm running a pciii and that makes the gauge overly optimistic.

I get about 60 mpg on the 2CV but it won't go but 45 mph Great when you truely are not in a hurry.

I get between 44-46 mpg. 48-52 when on a trip with lots of backroads. Sweet spot for mpg seems to be between 40-55 mph. Highway speeds (65-75) seems to suck the fuel down. I am completely stock with 23k on the clock.