Metzeler M-3

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Calimus

Ok, so my Avon Azero rear finally gave up the ghost. I was going to get a Strada at the behest of several forum members, but couldn't find anyone local that stocked them and due to two factors, couldn't wait on odering one. Those factors being the rapid decline of the Azero over the last week and my inability to lave the FJR sitting in my garage long enouh to wait on a tire to arrive.

So after much calling, "tire kicking" and such, I settled on a Metzeler M-3 Sport Tech and had it slapped on the bike today. I know it's more of a sport tire and thus, don't expect it to live long. However, I'm wanting something a bit sticky to help build my confidence in the bike as I was just getting in sync with the bike when my accident occured and now I'm a bit shakey after getting it back.

So, I had my wife with me today which is rare since she prefers to ride her own bike. Today's milage was about 70 miles after having the tire mounted and all of those miles were two up. So far, I'm impressed. Cornering felt great, was able to hit some roads I knew well and took them two up as if I were by myself. Tire felt very planted and smooth even over some questionable pavement.

Time will tell, planning on sneaking out tomorrow to put some more miles on it before having to prep the house for turkeyday. If anyone has run this tire, I'd be interested in hearing about it. I did a search here in NEPRT but didn't turn anything up. Then again, I didn't spend much time on the searches.

As as side note, I'll be ordering a strada soon, just to have it waiting when the M-3 goes the way of the dinosaur.

Last edited:
I absolutely LOVE IT, when somebody else is spending money on "experimental" tires.

:)

Do I get to play with them before you wear them out???

:rolleyes:

Haha, I'm in a sticky thread, the world is coming to an end!

Ashe, if we can find a time to meet up before they are toast, you're more then welcome to give them some hell. Also noticed this morning that I'm cupping the crap out of my front azero on the left side. Looks like a new ront is in the near future as well. Hrm, might just have to get the M3 for the front and see what a matched pair can do.

I'll get some pics of the rear up pretty soon. I'll also try to remember to take pics as I put the miles on. Once thing I've noticed, is that there are no wear bars on the tire, however, the tread groove depth should serve as a proper indicator.

Update: Wet traction seems decent so far. Snuck out for a quick ride and promptly got rained on. I was taking it very easy as we haven't had rain in a long time and the roads were slicker then snot. Cars all around me sliding and spinning wheels just trying to get through intersections. Never felt the wheel spin and no sliding in the corners, however, like I said, I was taking it very easy.

Last edited:
Ok, so time for another update. I finally got to put some twisties on the M-3 as well as some more wet weather.

So far, this tire is great in the corners. Several times I had the bike over pretty good and the rear of the bike felt as planted as ever. Can't say the same for the front, but thats because I have whats left of my aging Azero up there. Bumps don't seem to bother the M-3 either. On a hard run on 411 & 53 that goes from Cartersville to Jasper, there was plenty of twigs, leaves, gouges in the road and the occasional flat animal placed just so that you couldn't miss it. Never once felt the rear slip out.

It seemed to handle some wet roads pretty well, but again, I couldn't really push it. My front Azero is very unhappy in the wet right now and the mega streatch of tar-snakes I was on didn't make things any easier. However, the rear felt pretty good even though the oily wet tar snakes did cause a very tiny ammount of rear movement. I'm hoping to get a new front on the bike soon so I can rip on them pretty hard and give a better review. I'll get some pics of it's current state and do some updates along with milage ammounts. So far, I have about 300 miles on the M-3.