Gas Mileage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys got me beat. I've only put 1500 miles on my '05 FJR , but after 10 fillups, I average 36.15 MPG here in Ohio. Most of my trips have been on twisty roads running pretty hard in 2nd and 3rd gear. I'd love to see 50 MPG , even 40 MPG would be good. I'm getting 38 MPG on my Goldwing.

Thanks for the input. Most of my driving is Throttlemeister...70mph-75mph, 56 miles a day. What I'm intrested in is when the weather here in Phoenix cools down will I get better gas mileage, I'm looking for 50mpg if i'm a good boy.

To follow your gas mileage on a log go to https://www.gasbuddy.com you can also find the lowest price for gas in your area.

Here in Phoenix I have no problem going 5 or 10 miles out of my way to save 20-30 cent's per gallon on each fill up.

If I can geth permission from a couple of my Drivers Log users, I will see about posting a report that has the averages.

Best Regards,

Shane

04' California version running what Kaliforina passes off as gas:

36.51732511 MPG in 10,047 miles

This is mostly short commutes.

Hwy: 40.15192621 with an average speed of 81.8 MPH (per the GPS)

Best tank (following MCML at 71 MPH most of the way but a couple of bursts over 100 MPH) 45.95375723

Huh. Well, I'm doing a 20+ mile commute mostly on 40-50mph roads with some idling thrown in (ferry load and unload each direction). Hell, I'm just barely seeing 30mpg.

I'm not riding particularly hard. Weird, eh?

I was getting 38 MPG until I had 2000 miles on my new '05, then I discovered the powerband above 6000 RPM and the best I get now is around 32 MPG because I on that throttle until I get to cruise the freeway at 85 mph. It is still way better than 13 MPG with my Toyota Tundra 4X4 and significantly more fun. If you guys are getting 50 MPG you are driving like granpa and should switch over to a Harley if you just want to putt around :D

Elevation, folks. Elevation.

And I vote that ibsunburnt's avatar beats the spank outta NFG's. Sick bastards, the bodeayas! :puke:

I was getting nearly 50 mpg when I started riding my FJR. Lots of 60 mph on cruise. Then I went to Deals Gap and Missouri and had fun and got around 36, spending a lot of time in 3rd and 4th gear at high rpm with the money handle pretty much open.

I also noticed that when I did a TBS and changed the set screws, that my bike must have richened a bit and my mileage even in grandpa mode went down some. The bike may have been a touch cooler, too, but that might just be wishful thinking.

At any rate, gas mileage can vary tremendously, just like tire wear. Seems like the less gas mileage you get, the less mileage you get out of a set of tires. 'Specially rear tires?

And of course: YMMV!

Yo....yo....yo.....yo........

ibsunburnt!

Casa Grande boy here. Heat not an issue for me. Before I installed PCIII, 45-50+ mpg. With PCIII, 42-47mpg, unless of course we are spending too much time at FJR nominal speeds, in which case I will dip down to the mid to high 30s.

Hope to see you sometime. Another Phoenix area forum that ocasionally organizes local rides is Fastour Rider's Forum

Come on out and play!

She's drinking 91 octane here in dallas/fort worth.

Before the first service I averaged around 44 mi. to the gallon.

Afterwards (after loosening the wrist joint a bit) I average around 37.

Just switched over to semi-synthetic at about 1800 miles. Not sure what my mpg is yet.

like some others have stated it all dependes on how you are riding the beast . nice and easy 70 m.p.h hwy. cruise 45 m.p.g. / same hwy. 80 to 90 m.p.h. with the in between 110 m.p.h / 37 m.p.g . there is no need for 91 octane . the bike calls for 87

Last edited by a moderator:
If I can geth permission from a couple of my Drivers Log users, I will see about posting a report that has the averages.
Best Regards,

Shane
Shane, I have all 1500 of my FJR miles logged in Driver's Log. Let me know what you need and you are welcome to the info. I'd like to see the results too.

Rick M

hey...getting around 60 MPG (Imperial) The best I got was 64 and the worst 52, so far in over 20,000 kms. Now, for you yanks: to get these fuel numbers in equivalent American gallons, just reduce by 20%. It`s just that easy... :assasin: