What Grade Of Gas Do You Use?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibsunburnt

Reaction score
I was using 86 like the manual says but got a tap,tap,tap so I went to middle grade (I try to use Moble) and seems to have cleared up. What grade do you use?

Excellent avatar.... 
+1

There's been a lot of discussion about different fuel grades, which seem to vary a bit depending on where you live. The best advice is to use whatever makes your scoot the happiest.

Welcome, ibsunburnt!
Excellent avatar.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes, yes, yes.

Reminds me of my boss....

Oh yeah, welcome!!!

87 Octane here. Never a ping nor pop. These octane threads can get quite interesting sometimes, so fasten your safety belt!

You can do a SEARCH and read countless threads on his stuff. You might want to read a little deeper.

Just stay away from that Cornohol. What is that? E85 or something? Casey's sells gasohol as premium cheaper than regular octane, and I put that in once. Seems to run OK in a pinch. But otherwise I stick with 87. Which this hour is 2.79 in these parts.

89. My FJR does a little pinging in 90+ heat with 87. When it cools off, I'll try a tank of 87 and see if the rattle returns.

I use gasohol (10%) here in Iowa and it seems to run fine. Ian

Thanks for all the great comments on my graduation picture and the warm welcomes. It was about time I joined the forum.

Well gotta ride were (and my wife ibsunburnt2) going up to Roosevelt Lake, hope to take some nice pictures. Thanks for all the great input.

I use a minimun of a non ethanol mid grade fuel. I feel that once the tank heats up, I need the extra octane to offset the potential vaporlock/ loss of effective octane rating that coffee temp gas suffers from. :erm:

I wonder if the Yamaha engineers take that minor flaw(tank cooking), into account when they dynotest their engines? :huh:

89.  My FJR does a little pinging in 90+ heat with 87.  When it cools off, I'll try a tank of 87 and see if the rattle returns.
I've always wondered if switching grades frequently can cause problems. Can bikes be finicky about sticking to one grade? I have had several cars that seemed to be.

I use mid grade (89). I know the manual says 87, it just gives me a little more comfort (don't know why).

Wow, guess I'm waisting money, I only burn 93 octane. :huh:
Same here (except in CA it only goes up to 91 Octane). I guess you learn something new all the time on this forum. Looks like I'll be trying the lower octane next time...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts