Spark plug changes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bustanut joker

Reaction score
Man I hope I don't get flamed for this but, Is there any advantage to using platnum or any of the high dollar plugs when changing these buggers. I'm not so much interested in performance issues but wondering if this would extend mileage between changes. I know it's not that difficult to change 'em but I'd like to do it once a year.

The NGK Iridium plugs are generally recommended by the technically knowledgeable folks on the forum. I have a set in my garage which will go in before spring. My strategy is the same as yours, use good plugs and change them once a year.

Iridium plugs generally get the nod here. Word has it they last twice as long as the standards. Word also has it that the standards last twice as long as recommended by the factory. I got Iridiums in mine, and no complaints.

Thanks guys, I was thinking of Iridium but couldn't remember the name. Avon tires, Iridium plugs and K-N filter take care of the maintainance, now for the goodies :D Hmm,

:jester:

Put Iridiums in my ZRX this past summer and it idles noticably smoother. The originals had just 6500 on them or so. They conduct the spark a bit more efficiently so if'n yer coils are weak (not usually an issue with the FJR) you would get a better spark to the cylinder.

The OEM plugs are noticeably degraded by 4K miles, meaning I could tell the improvement when I popped in new ones at 4K (ahead of schedule, just to see)! I swapped in the Ir plugs a couple of thou ago. I have high expectations.

The OEM plugs are noticeably degraded by 4K miles, meaning I could tell the improvement when I popped in new ones at 4K (ahead of schedule, just to see)! I swapped in the Ir plugs a couple of thou ago. I have high expectations.
Reports have been that there's little in the way of performance advantage to the iridium plugs. But extending the maintenance out to 16k miles per swap more than offsets the investment.