Gas Mileage?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freshmeat

Reaction score
My gas mileage has been ~40 or so, like most folks seem to report.

I added a Cal-Sci medium windscreen & a Givi 46 top case over the holidays, now it seems to be ~36 mpg. I'd expected some hit, since the turbulence off of the case is noticible, but 10% seems a bit high. Are others with the Givi seeing about the same?

... or is my bike suddenly performing as poorly as the ref's in the superbowl?

It must be that Cal-Science windscreen creating all that turbulence! :haha:

At what speed wre you riding? There was another thread about the "weave" from a topcase and a numbe of solutions for filling the void behind the "pilot". That not only helps eliminate the "weave" but also keeps the wind-suction/vortices from causing a big hit on the gas mileage. I use a fabric tailbag mounted to the piliion seat. You might try something there and see if your mileage increases (a rolled up sleeping bag, for trial purposes). Anything over 75 mph or so will suck the gas when the topcase is on with a solo rider...YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the stock top box, did 5500 miles in September with both bags on. Cruised at 72 when speed limit posted at 65 mph, for the trip I averaged 40 mpg, best was about 43.5. Bike has custom map with Power Commander III and two brothers pipes. I'm extremely happy with fuel consumption. Dyno jet has a service called Dyno link, only a few operators are certified, they will custom map your bike with the power commander fitted. It is a great service.

Neville

It must be that Cal-Science windscreen creating all that turbulence! :haha:

At what speed wre you riding? There was another thread about the "weave" from a topcase and a numbe of solutions for filling the void behind the "pilot". That not only helps eliminate the "weave" but also keeps the wind-suction/vortices from causing a big hit on the gas mileage. I use a fabric tailbag mounted to the piliion seat. You might try something there and see if your mileage increases (a rolled up sleeping bag, for trial purposes). Anything over 75 mph or so will suck the gas when the topcase is on with a solo rider...YMMV.
Daily ride is ~25 mi (each way) back and forth to work - 'bout half of that freeway [65+]

I'll look into the tail-bag idea.

Thanks.

Latest posts