Anyone actually change plugs at 8K?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyingLow

Reaction score
According to the book, spark plugs to be replaced at 8,000 miles.

So I did this today, at the 13K mark and damned if the ND plugs that came out didn't look new, or almost new <_< .

I went ahead and put new ones in, NGK, just to have some documented service record on this. The next time they come out will be at 26K, valve adjustment time. And probably clean them up and put them back in; they're kinda pricey.

Anyone have any experience to share on this?

Anyone have any experience to share on this?
Spark plugs wear out with use but you cannot see the wear by visually inspecting them. High performance motorcycle engines are hard on spark plugs and you should follow the maintenance schedule. What will happen if you don't? Probably not much but if you change oil on schedule why not the spark plugs?

I changed my very early at 7000 because I wanted the Iridium plugs. I posted what happened when you don't read all the instructions and my mild problem. The NKG are pricey but the Iridiums were $10 each out of my pocket.

I guess I am a "by the book" person. I did bring the FJR in for it's 8,000 mile maintenance and had the spark plugs changed. I also change the oil, oil filter, and final drive oil as per the manual every 4,000 miles with Amsoil synthetics.

We commonly replace items with new components in the airline industry way before the engineered mean failure rates....it's called preventative maintenance. One reason why it's so costly to keep an airline running.

The last thing you want is to have a failure at 41,000 feet of a critical component.

I look at it the same way on my FJR, the last thing I want is to have a critical failure during a high speed mountain pass or out in the middle of no-where like southern Utah or Nevada.

There is a ton of maintenance suggested by Yamaha that is totally unneccessary. Spark plugs are one item that seems to be on that list. Not to say it all needs to be done sooner or later. Service managers I talk to say that most of the service items are a rip and are way too repetitive.

Even the spline grease routine is taken care of when the rear is changed which is about every six thou so why bother to do it during some service just because Yamaha says to?

Any way this sounds a bit blase but pick and choose on service items and you will save a fortune.

Hm....

airplane mechanic....check....me too....

amsoil....check.....me too.....

there you go kids.

Two out of 20 thousand aircraft mechanics prefer amsoil....

"amsoil....the aircraft mechanics choice for personal vehicles".

What? I know about politics but christ on a bike......this is getting rediculous.

Not politics, it will just get it started. People who haven't post in forever will wake up and chime in. Round and round we will go.

I know, I mentioned oil once. Geesh.

Well, in this case....I'm just going to blame it on you. Scab.....oh, by the way....nice avatar.

Thanks, and okay, I will take the blame. Even though I just got out on probation...

Here....let me slap your wrist and get it over with......with this hammer. :headbonk:

oh, sorry...that was your head.....

I have 13000 miles on my 05 and plan on the first plug change at 16000.....

Performance and gas mileage have not dropped off as of yet.....

I think I will stick with the standard OEM plugs....

27,000+ on the original plugs, mileage the same (high 40s); performance seems Ok. If my ass was 30,000 feet rather than 3' off the ground, I might change them now. Ian, Iowa

27,000+ on the original plugs, mileage the same (high 40s); performance seems Ok.  If my ass was 30,000 feet rather than 3' off the ground, I might change them now.  Ian, Iowa

Yeah, that's along the lines of my way of looking at it. Bike runs good, gas mileage okay, nothing to suggest any concerns, leave 'em in and save some $$$.

Last edited by a moderator:
27,000+ on the original plugs, mileage the same (high 40s); performance seems Ok.
Wait til Radman reads this. He's gonna chew your ass. Don't you know that Yamaha's recommendations are gospel? They are not to be deviated from for any reason.

If you're rolling down the highway and hit 8000 miles, ya best pull over and swap out those plugs. :bleh:

I changed my very early at 7000 because I wanted the Iridium plugs.  I posted what happened when you don't read all the instructions and my mild problem.  The NKG are pricey but the Iridiums were $10 each out of my pocket.
Not necessary, to pay $10 for iridium plugs. Go to an auto supply store, I went to O'Reilly, and paid less than $7 a pc. :D

How about these:

175,000 miles, 1996 Chevy Cavalier, yes that is a hole in the ground electrode. The gap had expanded to over .080 (80 thousandths, specification calls for .060). The other three all had gaps over .080 but didn't have the electrode involvement. The car was still running good before the spark plug change though obviously they needed to be changed long ago. Just use this as a bad example on how long to wait, though, these went 75% longer than originally intended by the service manual and were still performing minimally acceptably.

IMG_0009.jpg

This wasn't my car but I did do the service. These were original equipment A/C Delco

Last edited by a moderator:
I just changed mine the other day after 20,000 kms ( that`s about 12,500 miles for the yanks) and they looked excellent. As others have suggested, there has been no noticeable decline in performance or fuel efficiency. The plugs were out of spec, gap wise however. They measured more than the 28-31 thou called for by the book...somewhere between 32-35 thou. I too replaced them with Iridiums and will inspect and gap them in another 20.000 kms...but I will not replace them...no point! :assasin: