Oil and Fuel for FJR;

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

painman

Reaction score
Just wondering if the new FJR comes with a breakin oil which is a lighter weight oil than the normal 20-40W reccomended? And, what grade of fuel does everyone use? The manual says unleaded fuel and my dealer told me to use premium grade only. I think I could use middle grade of 89 octane. Any ideas? PM. <>< :blink:

OH, boy....here we go. Isn't this in the neverendingpointless thread section? Someone spank me. Wake me from the madness.

Odot, know the thread your talking about and I don't want this to go that direction. Just a simple question on the oil, and that is "Breakin" oil. ie, does the new bike come with "Breakin" oil. Don't freak out man. And the octane issue, well maybe we could start a never ending thread, go for it. PM. <>< :D

My 05 came with break in oil. Changed it after fifty miles, I think. Went with the yamaha oil till I could change over to fully synthetic.....about 1800 to 2000 miles. Oh, go AMSOIL. Also....never listen to your dealer....he probably has less of clue then you do yourself. He's a salesman.....

sad-sign-thisthreadsuckslikenoother.gif

Bin O Facts (including info about oil and fuel)

I put gas in my tank USUALLY when its almost empty and oil where the little thinga ma jigger is on the side... :D :D :D

Already knew about the bin of facts. Checked that out already. Problem is I didn't want a 10 page essay on gasoline, just a simple answer from some one who knows. Same with the oil. I could care less about synthetic or whatever. So, anyone have a real answer? It doesn't have to be a BIIIIIIIIIG deal. PM. <>< :D

Okay I'll play - 91 octane, 87 if I'm in Hixville and they make you sleep with their daughter first. Mobil 15-50 oil since 1600 miles. 2005 FJR painted with the superfast Galaxy Blue! B)

Same with the oil. I could care less about synthetic or whatever. So, anyone have a real answer? It doesn't have to be a BIIIIIIIIIG deal. PM. <>< :D
For oil (and I've read the 10 page essay more than once), I use a gallon of diesel dino 15W40 (currently Mobil Delvac but cost usualy drives my choice, next will be Chevron Delo 400 from Costco- ~$7.00/gallon) with 8 oz. of GM EOS added. Click and search for part number 1052367 And OEM filters from Gary Mc Coy, University Motors 866-551-6478 'cause Silver & Black just go together well. Change often. :D Radman tip- get some reusable copper washers for the drain plugs (and fill plug on the rear pumpkin). That should be in the bin o' facts if it isn't already.

GunMD.....Your right. This thread SUCKS!!! I am officially terminating this thread. Were hit control.........Were goin in........Boom-Smash-Crack-Hiss-Boom! Burning and smoldering slowly appear..... :agree: :axed: :banned: :butcher: :bye2:

87 usually.

89 if the mood strikes me.

91 if I'm feeling real rich that day.

Oil every 3K miles, Mobil 1 Motorcycle MX4T, 10w40. Genuine Yamaha filter.

Just wondering if the new FJR comes with a breakin oil which is a lighter weight oil than the normal 20-40W reccomended? And, what grade of fuel does everyone use? The manual says unleaded fuel and my dealer told me to use premium grade only. I think I could use middle grade of 89 octane. Any ideas? PM. <>< :blink:
Your dealer is full of crap. Read the manual. Use the fuel grade they recommend unless you mod the motor or you experience pinging. Anything higher than that is a waste of money. Most folks will tell you they run regular unleaded and have no problems. Since the lower octane rating has less additives intended to slow ignition, it [simplification] will provide more energy per gallon[/simplification] than fuel with higher octane ratings.

Break-in oil? WTF? Never read that anywhere in the manual. Is this magic oil somebody traded the family cow for?

Low grade fuel is fine unless you here it knock. (That's probably 87 for flatlanders and 85 for those that are altitude enhanced)

Moving thread to it's new home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Break-in oil? WTF? Never read that anywhere in the manual. Is this magic oil somebody trade the family cow for?
Low grade is fine unless you here it knock. (That's probably 87 for flatlanders and 85 for those that are altitude enhanced)

Moving thread to it's new home.
Too right Ig.

Motoman it and get rid of the first fill at 20 miles. Switch to Synth Rotella and Mobil 1 filters or Yam if you can get em. Fill it with 87 and haul ass.

Stop making fun of people, fng ......you might hurt someone's feelings.

Break in oil was last used when this
57_Chev_storefront.jpg
was new.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Too true!

FJR1300s arrive from the factory with standard Yamalube 20-40W in the crankcase. Trust me. :D