FNG has an oil question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pawtracks

Reaction score
So I got around to doing my first oil change on my (new to me) 05 FJR.

I used a new drain plug gasket/washer and yamaha filter from FJR Goodies and Yamalube 20W40, followed the directions from the factory service manual (pgs 3-33 - 3-36)

When I started the oil level when warm was "possibly" at the top of the sight glass. It could have been past the top, it was hard to tell. To me it appeared to be right at the top but it was kinda dark (colored) I did use a flashlight.

I see the service manual lists 3 specs (5.18, 4.23 & 4.02 qts)

Total, w/filter change, w/o filter change.

When I drained it I removed the side panel lower screw, covered the painted panel in aluminum foil, removed the drain plug, fill plug and filter and went inside for a sandwich. After 20 minutes I am sure it was all drained out, not even dripping anymore when I returned.

Upon refill I used 4.00 qts, ran the bike for about 1 minute to fill the oil filter and check for leaks, then added another 0.25 qts. I then ran the bike for 5-7 minutes while I cleaned up and shut her down. A minute later I checked the level, it is right in the middle of a-b marks (pg 3-34)

Do I have the right amount of oil added?

I realize I am right in the band, just wondering if another quart will fit?

If it won't, what does the 5.18 quart spec refer to (fill from the factory)

There can't be a whole quart of dirty oil left in the bike when drained, could there??

Common phenomenon on the FJR to have the oil level wander. I put in 4 1/4 quarts usually myself. After putting in the oil it will be in the middle of the sight glass, but the next day seems to be at the top of the glass (because I tilt the bike to the right and it comes quickly into view). I would suggest using the sight glass method rather than trying to stuff more in.

I may be doing it all wrong, but I never use a dipstick, or sightglass, or any such thing. I drain it completely and carefully measure what goes back in. Then never look back.

Thanks for the reply.

The only thing I could add to my post is all was done while on the center stand, so no tilting involved to affect the sightglass.

I was sort of puzzled when I read the 5.18qt spec. It seemed like quite a bit more than the filter change 4.23 qts.

Hey, jeffashe....if nothing comes out....do you put anything back in? Just curious.....you may have a ticker in the future. :lol:

I may be doing it all wrong, but I never use a dipstick, or sightglass, or any such thing. I drain it completely and carefully measure what goes back in. Then never look back.
JeffAshe,

What do you carefully measure?

What came out and put the same amount back in?

or?

Just wondering what long time FJR owners fill it back up with?

5.18, 4.23, 4 and some change, etc...

Just trying to get it right.

I use Motul 5100 exclusively. I know you didn't ask about the brand, but, I'm talking about the packaging. Motul sells a 4L container which converts to 4.228 quarts. It couldn't be easier - dump the whole container in and don't look back. Eliminates having partially full containers of oil laying around.

From the service manual:

Total Amount (you can't get it all out without tearing apart the engine): 5.18 quarts

Without filter change (you want to change your filter don't you): 4.02 quarts

With filter change (this is the one you want): 4.23 quarts

Added my to my Bin O' Facts here

oilspecs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It is very common for the oil level to vary on a motorcycle. I believe it is due to how much oil remains trapped in the transmission case when you shut the bike down. I have observed this phenomenon on Hondas, Kawasakis, and Yamahas.

Like others mentioned, the sight glass should only be used as a "is there still any oil in it?" indicator. Pour in the proper amount when you change it and you shouldn't have to worry about it being correct. Measuring the amount you pour in is much more accurate than judging a sight glass or dip stick.

1 - never use synthetic oil

2 - never use conventional oil

3 - whatever oil you use, someone on this forum will disagree with and tell you what crap it is and why anyone in their right mind would never use THAT oil but instead should use THIS oil.

1 - never use synthetic oil2 - never use conventional oil

3 - whatever oil you use, someone on this forum will disagree with and tell you what crap it is and why anyone in their right mind would never use THAT oil but instead should use THIS oil.
This is the kind of post that would get this thread moved to the other thread. Keep on post about oil capacity.

So instead I'll focus on the person posting......

KNOCK IT OFF FJRMGM! :angry:

I use Motul 5100 exclusively.  I know you didn't ask about the brand, but, I'm talking about the packaging.  Motul sells a 4L container which converts to 4.228 quarts.  It couldn't be easier - dump the whole container in and don't look back.  Eliminates having partially full containers of oil laying around.
That's a good tip!

Does Yamaha or any other oil makers sell it in 4L containers?

is all was done while on the center stand, so no tilting involved to affect the sightglass
I usually drain it on the side stand... wouldn't that get more oil out?... just asking.

I use Motul 5100 exclusively. I know you didn't ask about the brand, but, I'm talking about the packaging. Motul sells a 4L container which converts to 4.228 quarts. It couldn't be easier - dump the whole container in and don't look back. Eliminates having partially full containers of oil laying around.
+1

The .9L difference between total and replacement is trapped in two places. The tranmission holds about half and the other half never makes it out of the oil pan. The oil pump pickup sits in a small cup and it is lower than the drain hole height. Sump never run dry that way I guess...

On the old Ventures we could pull out the bottom bolt on the tranny cover(it came with a copper washer) put the bike on the side stand and get the last half pint or so out of the tranny. You were still stuck with about a pint in sump basin in the pan.

and don't forget to pour a bit into your new filter before the install.

Always get more out of it with the machine on the kickstand versus the centrestand... By doing it that way, I have to use more than a four litre container. Have been using Delvac 1 in a four litre jug & then about half of a litre or so of M1 15w-50. This type of change ends up with the oil level being below the top of the sight-glass by a comfortable degree. Don't wanna get it overfilled. So far, so good.

John.

how long some of you been changing oil in your bikes or cars? C'mon guys, this ain't rocket science.When all else fails read the instructions.
Instructions?!? You've got to be kidding. Next thing you're going to want us to stop and ask directions. Never!, I say. :bleh:

As mentioned before, there is some oil left in the motor after you drain. Since there's no easy way to get this oil out, you can minimize its impact by simply changing your oil at normal intervals. In other words, it shouldn't be a problem unless you let your oil turn to mud before you change it.