Let's stir the pot.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. Or yes, if they didn't make the gearing so tall. I find that cruising on the highway at 80mph in 5th gear I'm running around 4k rpm. This bike seems to like speeds closer to 4500-5k rpm for the best mileage. Perhaps if they'd kept the gearing shorter, a 6th gear might make sense, but I don't think it's needed now.

On my YZF600R, I find myself sometimes fishing for a 7th. Has absolutely nothing to do with the gearing on the FJR, but since I won't have mine until tomorrow, best I can offer.

Naah. I used to occasionally find myself looking for 6th, but have grown more accustomed to the gearing the way it is now.

I've only had my FJR for less than week and put about 400 miles on it so far. As mindtrip said, at 80mph the tach says about 4100rpm. Seems fine with me. Taking a trip to NC on it in a couple of weeks. I'll see how it is on a long trip.

Now on my Bandit 1200, I was alway searching for that "phantom" 6th gear. :(

Want a 6th---go get a RT or an ST :beee: I ride interstate and the 4k's range--is as Santana puts it "Smooooth" a 6th is not needed much less wanted, I bought this bike for the emphasis on sport followed by touring and comfort. Give it a 6th and then you got a touring sport ie. ST. This inline 4 luv's to run interstate and hummmm in the 4's. My vote leave it alone--if it aint broke dont fix it. :cownoy:

Sure, you can have a sixth gear. As long as the sixth gear is geared the same as fifth. You'll just have to jump another gear to get to top. :bleh:

My 2 cents.

On every bike I have owned I have felt this from time to time.

I notice that when I really rev each gear out I find myself riding 80 in 4th and not realizing I have another gear and then when I do go to 5th it feels perfect.

If I drive it like a cruiser and I am in 5th at 60 by the time I get to 80 the seat of pants feel is yes I need another gear.

In reality do you , No IMHO!

Sure, just add the gear at the bottom, instead of the top. First is too tall for traffic around here. Idle in first is 7 or 8 mph. If I ride at rush hour, my left hand feels like I just took the blood pressure of every motorist out there from fanning the clutch so much. 5th gives something like 80mph at 4K; that seems like about the right top-end ratio.

With all of this I sure am glad I have an 05 and hope Yamaha doesn't listen to you guys and mess up the gearing for say an 08 :D

Last edited by a moderator: