Question About Oil.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, crap... :blink:

Here we go...

AGAIN!.... :rolleyes:

Oh, wait! I'm confused! That was on a different forum!

This is a new topic here! :eek:k: :thumbup:

My response... :huh:

NEVER!

Next!

if you look back into the old posts on this subject i say the avg. number is 10000 miles . thats when i am changing over on my 05 . have 4300 on it now . you can also check the other fjr site .

I went to Mobile 1 15W-50 at 4200 miles. I was surprised that it didn't make as much of difference to the shift-feel as it did when I converted my Bandit. Valve noise went away though.

Don't you call ME a post-whore! I was just sick of being a FNG.

:fuck:

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I changed over at 1600 miles and I'm good to go.

Runs cooler, shifts better.

Mobil one 15/50 Gold Cap EP

It is generally considered a good idea to fully break in an engine before switching-this concerns the rings primarily. Do a Motoman break in, or wail on the motor early on, synthetics can be used as soon as a few hundred miles. Babying the bike, or just riding around town with little or no full throttle acceleration can extend the change mileage to 5 or even 10,000 miles. Much has been made of the fact that Corvette and Porsche both have factory fills of Mobil1. These cars tend to get hammered (well, at least the Porsche, too many middle aged wannabes buying Vettes these days) right out of the showroom, as well as having engines designed with these lubricants in mind.

Gawd I hate asking this!

I run Mobil red cap (now gold) in all of my bikes. I think it is worth the money & in my Honda Valkyrie it seemed to quiet down the tranny whine that is prevalent (normal characteristic) around 50 MPH. That being said..........

My FJR is the first bike I have purchased where I felt the necessity to purchase the YES contract. I had an idea "ticking" in the back of my mind that this was a wise thing to do.

My 05 FJR has just rolled over 8,000 miles & is due for an oil change. I want to put Mobil 1 (car oil) in it like I use in my other bikes. Is this something Yamaha could use against me if an engine related problem occurred?

Flame away! :assasin:

If you use the Mobil 1 with friction modifiers (look for "energy conserving" in the bottom of the little circle logo) you'll f*&k up your clutch.

If you use the Mobil 1 with friction modifiers (look for "energy conserving" in the bottom of the little circle logo) you'll f*&k up your clutch.
The gold cap Mobil1 does not have the friction modifiers and will work perfectly well in your FJR.

With a modern type, precision built, engine you can change at any time, i.e. factory fill on some Porsches and Corvette. But if it makes you feel better, I've heard general recommedations of about 2,000 miles.

Like my post said I've been using Mobil 1 in my bikes for 5+ years with no problems. I feel I've researched enough & ran it long enough that the fact that it is "car oil" is a non-issue for me.

My real question was....Will it screw up my YES warranty coverage if I do have a "problem"?

The reality of playing the Warranty Game is this: your relationship with your Yamaha dealer is everything. EVERYTHING!! Remember that when having any type of interaction with him... even casual interaction.

Having said that, the Mobil One gold cap is indeed just fine for your FJR. It has the appropriate API SL/CF ratings, and does not contain the friction modifiers everyone is petrified of running.

Hell, I used this oil myself.

I run 15w-50 gold cap between April and October, and 10W-14 gold cap the remaining months.

I switched to Bertoli olive oil after watching an Iron Chef marathon on t.v. To solve any tranny related problems, swapped out the shift forks for salad tongs... Things couldn't be better :D

I switched to Bertoli olive oil after watching an Iron Chef marathon on t.v. To solve any tranny related problems, swapped out the shift forks for salad tongs... Things couldn't be better :D
:clap: :clap: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: